ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 10
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*** The Definitive Gannon vs. Grbac DEBUNKED Thread ***
htismaqe 01:07 PM 01-02-2014
It's time.

The common urban legend perpetuated amongst Chiefs fans is that we would have won that 1997 playoff game with Rich Gannon because he was clearly so much better than Grbac when in reality, that wasn't at all the case.

Let's start with wins and losses.

Code:
	Wins	Losses	Win %
Grbac	8	2	0.800
Gannon	5	1	0.833
Very similar. Let's look at a sample of passing stats now.

Code:
	Pass TD/Game	INT/Game	Passing YPG	YPA	Rating			
Grbac	1.1		0.6		195		6.2	79.1
Gannon	1.16		0.67		127		6.5	79.8
Again, this cross section points to them being remarkably similar. They ran fewer pass plays with Gannon at the helm so therefore appeared to be slightly more efficient but overall, the offensive output was very similar, regardless of who was under center.

Now, let's look at a couple of key defensive stats, since I think we all agree that the 1997 team was driven largely by the defense. This is where things get interesting.

Code:
	Def YPG	Def TO/Game
Grbac	335.4	1.9
Gannon	254.3	2.5
It's pretty clear what drove the Chiefs winning streak down the stretch - the defense got A LOT better as the season went on. In fact, the defense allowed LESS THAN 300 yards in only 2 of Grbac's starts, whereas that same defense allowed only one team to gain more than 300 yards while Gannon was under center.
[Reply]
donkhater 03:47 PM 01-02-2014
If you go back and look at that game, the Broncos only scored twice. Both times, their offense was set up at near midfield by penalty. Once was the bogus hold resulting in the missed FG attempt, the other was a 15 yd personal foul on a kickoff return that set them up near midfield.

The Broncos couldn't go 70-80 yards on that defense with that noise.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:09 PM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead:
you would start this bad juju thread 3 days before a ****ing playoff game, Parker...
Bad juju? This discussion has nothing to do with the upcoming game on Saturday...
[Reply]
Dartgod 04:12 PM 01-02-2014
Great.

This thread will summon "IT" from the depths of the DC forum.

Nice going, htismaqe. :-)
[Reply]
HemiEd 04:26 PM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Great.

I was thinking that, but didn't want to mention it.
[Reply]
Chief Henry 04:28 PM 01-02-2014
One QB leads the team to an average of 28 points per game while the other QB leads the team to 19 points per game.....what ever !
[Reply]
KC native 04:29 PM 01-02-2014
This is my definitive why are you living in the past post.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 04:35 PM 01-02-2014
Would the change have caused the refs to call a legit game?
[Reply]
007 04:37 PM 01-02-2014
I would still have started Gannon.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 04:38 PM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
People conveniently forget that Gannon played a ton for KC the following year in 1998 and was positively ordinary.
One thing to note is that the 98 season went into a complete tailspin when Gannon was benched for Grbac. (The Chiefs were 4-1, but went on a 4 game skid once Grbac was named the starter).

I think the 98 season, Gannon knocking us out of the playoffs in 99', and Gannon's success in Oakland inflamed this controversy more than the 97' playoff game ever did.
[Reply]
Crush 04:49 PM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by wazu:
I'm looking forward to your next thread: "Why the kicker that shall go unnamed deserves zero blame".
That loss was completely on Schottenheimer. He had Steve Bono air it out and throw three interceptions in the process when Marcus Allen was averaging almost five yards a carry. Not to mention, Lake Dawson dropped an easy TD pass right before the final FG attempt.

Does that pardon Elliott? No, but you can't place that loss solely on him when Bono and Marty also fucked us over.
[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 04:55 PM 01-02-2014
Hot hand is the hot hand. I don't care what the numbers say. I can never be convinced that starting Grbac was the right decision.
I'll always feel that way, and believe even in the absence of any definitive proof that we would have likely won if Gannon had played.

Even if Grbac did nothing to lose the game, it simply comes down to my belief that Gannon would have generated at least a couple more plays for us to make the difference.

Did Grbac ever go on to become league MVP and take his team to a Super Bowl?
That's the same answer to should you start Grbac coming off his injury in the playoffs.
[Reply]
DaWolf 04:58 PM 01-02-2014
I actually blamed that loss on Paul Hackett having one foot out the door to USC. The playcalling that day was inconsistent and bizarre at times...
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 05:04 PM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by DaWolf:
I actually blamed that loss on Paul Hackett having one foot out the door to USC. The playcalling that day was inconsistent and bizarre at times...
Jimmy Raye, Mike Solari and Al Saunders… all on the offensive coaching staff of that '97 team went on to become Chiefs OC's during future seasons.

One of the offensive assistants that didn't become a Chiefs OC?

QB Coach Mike McCarthy… who goes on to develop Aaron Rodgers and win a Super Bowl with Green Bay.

Cruel irony.
[Reply]
milkman 05:06 PM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by FringeNC:
We could go 'round on this -- I just hope Alex Smith's career parallels Rich Gannon's and I think there is a decent chance it can. Some type of QB in the same system.
While I am still skeptical that Smith will be anything more than a mediocre game manager, I disagree with the idea that he and Gannon are the same type of QB.

They are/were both mobile, but Smith has a far stronger arm, much stronger than given credit for.

In theory, Smith could be more dynamic.
[Reply]
milkman 05:08 PM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Great.

I was thinking the exact same thing.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 10
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up