ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Narratives That Need to Die
Bearcat 08:14 PM 01-26-2021
2021:
Spoiler!

New for 2023-24!

Fallacy: Big underdogs willing themselves to victory in the playoffs.
Possible Narrative: The underdog has nothing to lose! They'll B-E aggressive!
The Truth: Mahomes has only ever lost to Brady and Burrow in the playoffs, and two of those games went to OT. Stop worrying about every brokedick quarterback, every run-first team, every "tHeY'rE cOnFiDeNt AnD nOt InTimIdAtEd!!" team.
Examples: Being fearful of the Browns, Jags, the Titans FFS.

Fallacy: Paying a franchise QB handcuffs your team towards mediocrity (or at least fewer Super Bowls)
Possible Narrative: Rebuild year, reload year, the imminent demise of the Kansas City Chiefs, and the general "complete team vs quarterback".
The Truth: The quarterback position is pretty important. It's so important, in fact, you can get away with having an average or below average defense, a mediocre run game, unproven receivers, and so on... even to the extent that a one-legged franchise QB is better than most NFL teams. Obviously, the rest of the team can't suck ass and there's always a fine line between winning and losing in the biggest games of the year, where those other pieces matter the most, but you wouldn't be in that position if it weren't for paying the man.

Possible Narrative: The Chiefs need to retain non-Mahomes guy or sign the best player at their position in free agency.
The Truth: A franchise QB makes up for lesser talent elsewhere on the roster, and having the top QB in the league is a much larger gap than "only" having a top 15 guy at another position.
Examples: Tyreek, Hopkins, needing the best LT ever, etc.

Fallacy: The NFL is out to fuck the Chiefs.
Possible Narrative: Every loss is rigged for whatever reason is made up after they lose. Basically everything that happens is the NFL's way of figuring out how to fuck the Chiefs.
The Truth: Can we please just let this one fucking go? :-) The Chiefs won the AFCCG and SB on defensive penalties at the end of the game and still didn't have to play a road (or neutral site!) game. I think we're good.
Examples: Every single loss. Hamlin is the drama the NFL needs to push the Bills to the SB... oh, and the NFL wants to experiment with neutral sites forever after they force the Chiefs to play in Atlanta. Ratings. Fly over country. Vegas. New stadiums.

Fallacy: Regular season momentum exists.
Possible Narrative: Teams can't flip a switch. (this is from the 2021 version, but should be reiterated)
The Truth: A team with playoff experience and success can certainly play vanilla in the regular season and do things to avoid injury, etc; and then dig deep into the playbook while recklessly throwing themselves into defenders when the games really matter.
Examples: The Defending Super Bowl Champion Kansas City Chiefs
[Reply]
Lzen 09:42 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Oh, I actually had that one in mind and did forget... I was going say "TOP and run it down the throats of the Chiefs".
I just watched nick Wright on that show he's on with the other hosts. He made the argument and showed a graphic that low scoring TOP games don't work against mahomes.
[Reply]
Lzen 09:47 PM 01-26-2021
Here is that show, First Things First.
Nick makes a great case. It's just a matter of having to suffer through Eric Mangini.

https://youtu.be/F-kggF9B-F8

His thing starts about 3:30
[Reply]
scho63 09:47 PM 01-26-2021
Do you have the condensed version with pictures? :-)
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:47 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
"Chiefs can't stop the run."

"The Chiefs defense is trash." Actually that might just be the three or four retards that regularly show up on the GDTs and have to vomit that nonsense during the first drive.
I was trying to stick to universal truths and those are more or less season-to-season... they're outdated, for sure.

Similar to the media calling the Rams "the greatest show on turf" 4 years after it was true, it is fucking annoying when things like that stick around so long.
[Reply]
digger 09:54 PM 01-26-2021
The CHIEFS are re-writing the books...
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:56 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by scho63:
Do you have the condensed version with pictures? :-)
This is the condensed version of it! :-)

It's the past 3 months of opposing fan arguments in one thread.

As someone who posts gifs like 70% of the time, I did fail when it comes to not providing pictures. The reddit video that I posted earlier sums it up in a way though.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:07 PM 01-26-2021
Great posts
[Reply]
TwistedChief 10:13 PM 01-26-2021
Hugs, BC. Nicely done.
[Reply]
frozenchief 10:21 PM 01-26-2021
1. This is a great post. Good use of facts rather than just mindlessly repeating the same old cliches like some kind of damn puppet.

2. There’s a Narrative to which I have subscribed that will be tested this weekend: how important is the O line? Granted, it can’t be garbage but I have argued here (and elsewhere) that with a QB like Mahomes, KC should invest the money in enough of the O line to be among the best O lines in the league. I think Remmers is pretty good but he’s not as good as Fisher or Schwartz. Our O line has been ravaged by injuries this year and yet they’ve done well enough to protect Mahomes and allow our offense to function. They’ve done well enough that while I would like to see improvement, I at least question the Narrative.

this upcoming Super Bowl will certainly test the Narrative. I’ve admitted when I’ve been wrong before. I’ll do it again. If our patchwork O-line can provide enough protection to allow our offense to function well, it will be persuasive evidence against my argument. And if our O-line falters, that Narrative might survive to another day.

Hell, what am I talking about? Of course the Narrative will survive. Some people believe what they want to believe irrespective of all evidence. But if our O line does a respectable job, I will at least re-consider my embrace of that Narrative. (But we should still get an upgrade at center this off season, whether by trade free-agency or draft.)

Anyway, great post. Thanks for putting thought into this and posting something intelligent.
[Reply]
Halfcan 10:47 PM 01-26-2021
Narrative:

Buffalo won the Mahomes trade.

Nope.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:50 PM 01-26-2021
Absolutely excellent post. Some of your best work ever and that's saying something.
[Reply]
stevieray 10:56 PM 01-26-2021
Now fans of other teams get to engage in false bravados/excuses for choking against superiority.

The End.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:07 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Hugs, BC. Nicely done.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I appreciate the sentiment, but six feet, buddy. Six feet away until the vaccines.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 11:20 PM 01-26-2021
Possible Narrative: Mahomes is a product of his insane weapons. Pat simply throws to wide-open Kelce or Hill on every play.

The Truth: This is horseshit. Mahomes is most likely THE best ever.

Example: The Chiefs pre-Mahomes as a starter? Maybe a playoff win. The Chiefs post-Mahomes as a starter? AFC Championship game at a minimum. More likely, the Chiefs are Super Bowl Champs/Favorites.
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:24 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Possible Narrative: Mahomes is a product of his insane weapons. Pat simply throws to wide-open Kelce or Hill on every play.

The Truth: This is horseshit. Mahomes is most likely THE best ever.

Example: The Chiefs pre-Mahomes as a starter? Maybe a playoff win. The Chiefs post-Mahomes as a starter? AFC Championship game at a minimum. More likely, the Chiefs are Super Bowl Champs/Favorites.
Skip and Stephen A. said exactly this, this morning. Afternoon. Whatever. Stephen A. went so far as to say that if Rodgers/Allen were under center for KC instead of Mahomes, we'd see exactly the same results.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up