ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Patriots tried to get Trent Williams
Mecca 08:03 AM 08-22-2019
The funniest part of the story, they offered a 1st and the Redskins said it wasn't enough.

I'm not even sure Williams is worth a 1 considering he hasn't played a full season since 2013 and he's only done it 2 times oh and he's 31.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 08:57 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Patriots have the best OL coach in the league so they’ll probably figure it out
Not according to Dungver fans.
[Reply]
O.city 09:01 AM 08-22-2019
So I get the Texans needing to get value and such for Clowney. They don't want to give him away.

But I don't understand why teams always do this. You fucked up the time to get value. That was a few months ago when he could go elsewhere and get a new contract. He can't do that now, so teams aren't gonna give you much for him. Conversely, he may not show up until the last possible minute and then what is the plan next offseason? Do this again?

Just take a 3rd rounder, get bashed for a little bit, and move on. Be flexible and don't compound mistakes.
[Reply]
BlackOp 09:03 AM 08-22-2019
Houston giving a first + change for Williams would be a smart move...they are getting Watson killed. He'll end up like Luck if they dont protect him...

I'm not saying giving up a first for a 31 year old LT is preferable...but since they are incompetent, it's a decent opportunity to fix a long running issue. LTs play a long time...usually.

Oh...and **** the Patriots.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:08 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
He made the comment about inmates running the asylum that pissed everyone off and was taken as racist at the time.
:-)

Forgot about that. Can’t believe people really think he’s racist because of that, but then again that’s how it is these days.
[Reply]
TEX 09:12 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
Houston giving a first + change for Williams would be a smart move...they are getting Watson killed. He'll end up like Luck if they dont protect him...

I'm not saying giving up a first for a 31 year old LT is preferable...but since they are incompetent, it's a decent opportunity to fix a long running issue. LTs play a long time...usually.

Oh...and **** the Patriots.
Agreed. BUT I wouldn't give up Clowney + a pick for Williams. I may trade Clowney straight up though. Depends on what Philly is willing to do. They have a surplus of O-Lineman.
[Reply]
TEX 09:15 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
So I get the Texans needing to get value and such for Clowney. They don't want to give him away.

But I don't understand why teams always do this. You ****ed up the time to get value. That was a few months ago when he could go elsewhere and get a new contract. He can't do that now, so teams aren't gonna give you much for him. Conversely, he may not show up until the last possible minute and then what is the plan next offseason? Do this again?

Just take a 3rd rounder, get bashed for a little bit, and move on. Be flexible and don't compound mistakes.
Exactly the case.
[Reply]
O.city 09:15 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by TEX:
Agreed. BUT I wouldn't give up Clowney + a pick for Williams.
Why though?

You aren't keeping Clowney past this year and he's not gonna show up until the last minute.

Whats the point?
[Reply]
TEX 09:26 AM 08-22-2019
Why though?

You aren't keeping Clowney past this year and he's not gonna show up until the last minute.

Whats the point?
I'd just trade Clowney on it's own merit - I wouldn't add anything else to it. Williams is 31 and hasn't played in a year. Who knows how good he'll be? Clowney is just 26. If Wash won't do the trade straight up, for a younger player, entering his prime, then I would not add any assets to it. Yes, I know that JDC may walk next season, but that risk makes up for the age difference and health risk of Williams in my book.

Besides, can't Houston just franchise Clowney again next season if all else fails?
[Reply]
O.city 09:32 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by TEX:
I'd just trade Clowney on it's own merit - I wouldn't add anything else to it. Williams is 31 and hasn't played in a year. Who knows how good he'll be? Clowney is just 26. If Wash won't do the trade straight up, for a younger player, entering his prime, then I would not add any assets to it. Yes, I know that JDC may walk next season, but that risk makes up for the age difference and health risk of Williams in my book.

Besides, can't Houston just franchise Clowney again next season if all else fails?
Sure, they'd have to pay him 110 or 115 percent of this years tag or whatever.

But what would change in that scenario? We'd be right back where we are.
[Reply]
TEX 09:47 AM 08-22-2019
Sure, they'd have to pay him 110 or 115 percent of this years tag or whatever.

But what would change in that scenario? We'd be right back where we are.
I think with facing that prospect, they'd be more willing to get a deal done sooner in the off season - like KC did with Dee Ford.

I don't know, maybe you're right - Maybe my thinking is off....I just feel that if I can't get Williams straight up for JDC, I'd just have a hard time adding a draft pick to the deal, for a much older player, who missed all of last season due to a health issue.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:36 AM 08-22-2019

From what I understand, this is false. “Unequivocally not true” was the precise wording. So, carry on https://t.co/2S91yATSPX

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) August 22, 2019

[Reply]
Mecca 10:55 AM 08-22-2019
So the guy who initially reported this is the Redskins beat reporter and supposedly he's usually pretty spot on.

So 1 of 2 things is going on, the Redskins are telling Rap that because they want more than a first and want everyone to know that.....or another team, say Houston is leaking that because they're trying to kill the market to help them.

Considering how incompetent the Washington front office is, I'd place my bet that it's Houston trying to drive down compensation.
[Reply]
notorious 10:57 AM 08-22-2019
This makes zero sense.
[Reply]
Amnorix 12:04 PM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Sounds like they don’t have much faith in last years 1st round LT Wynn.

So far Wynn is doing well. We'll see if it's good enough once the bullets start flying, of course, but the preliminary reports are fine.

I'm a bit surprised if the report is true. Though the Pats pick would likely be a low 1, it's rare for BB to offer 1s to other teams for a player.
[Reply]
Amnorix 12:09 PM 08-22-2019
So, after a few more seconds of thought, I'm gonna suggest that either the Redskins (or Williams' agent) are spreading misinformation (more likely) or the reporter somehow got it wrong (less likely).

1. People sometimes pump that the Patriots want X, because they think it will increase the market for that person.

2. The Patriots have a former 1st round pick ready to plug in at the LT spot. Sure, he isn't Williams, but teh Patriots weren't likely to leave him on the bench this year after he sat out last year injured.

3. Patriots are deep on the OLine. Less deep at tackle, certainly, but there are decent odds they're going to trade one of their interior guys. Trade a ONE for a OLineman makes little sense.

4. I literally can't remember BB trading a #1 pick for a player like ever. He trades picks for picks, and lower round picks for players, but a 1 or 2? I can't remember him doing that.

Honestly, I could see him trading a high pick for a TE. We really need one. Otherwise, we're not thin enough anywhere for him to give up not only a #1 pick, but the cap space a guy like Williams takes up.

:-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up