ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Sometimes you have to ignore metrics and draft a Preston Williams
Iconic 07:07 PM 04-04-2019
Sometimes. Sometimes you have to ignore he tore his ACL his senior year of high school. Sometimes you have to overlook the fact that he served a suspension due to harassment charges filed by his girlfriend. Sometimes you have to ignore his lack of production at Tennessee where he caught 16 passes for 247 yards and two touchdowns in 12 games.

And instead, you have to look forward. Forward to his transfer to CSU, where he sat his first year due to NCAA transfer rules but blossomed the year after.

Where in his final, first, and only full year of college football he racked up 1,345 yards and 14 TDs from 96 receptions. Where he had 3 games with over 150+ receiving yards and one game capping 248 receiving yards, averaging 14 yards per catch his his final year at CSU.

It's true. His proday wasn't the prettiest. It was slightly disappointing to be frank, primarily because of the amount of athleticism scouts saw in him. He chose not to train for it and this is what we got:

Height - 6'4"
Weight - 211
20 - 4.36
40 -4.55
3C -7.06

But. These are also the reasons why you will get him in the 3rd - 6th round. This is why a guy who was briefly getting low 1st round grades has dropped to where some don't even know who he is.

And watch this.

Does that guy look like he lacks athleticism? You can clearly see the flashes of speed and acceleration on tape, the kind you'd need to get separation in the NFL. He's not a burner obviously, but what he lacks in speed he makes up for in size. He can absolutely be a deep threat. According to PFF on passes over 20 yards, he's been targeted 42 times for 17 receptions 605 yards and 6TDs. When targeted deep QB's have a passer rating of 117.6 throwing his way. He's extremely versatile, ranked #6 by PFF in yards per route run when playing the slot. And if Mahomes wants to throw some fade routes in the redzone? Preston's your man. Every single time you see him go airborne in these highlights you see violent pull downs at the catch point. I'm not saying he's Larry Fitzgerald but... he kind of looks like Larry Fitzgerald.

Take a flyer on this guy in the 4th or 5th and watch our offense take shape with a flanker/split/big slot that can play for 10+ years.
[Reply]
Iconic 07:34 PM 04-04-2019

Whew.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:51 AM 04-05-2019
I can't recall too many receivers ever drafted under Reid going all the way back that were much over 6'1 and slower. There was that one white kid in Philly I forget his name. I dunno. I don't see it happening. If they go for a bigger receiver, I'm really on board with Boykin, cuz he has wheels to go with it.
[Reply]
Iconic 09:59 AM 04-05-2019
He's definitely drafted some. Chesson, Riley Cooper, Marvin McNutt just since 2010. But yeah it's rare and I don't think it's happening either. I just really like this kid, talent and technique in spades, he's more of a sleeper.

I REALLY like Boykin. IMO he's probably the second or third best WR in the draft. So unfortunately I don't think he's there for us in round 2. But if he is... holy fuck.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:57 AM 04-05-2019
Williams is intriguing for sure. You can make an argument for him in the 8-10 range among WRs as a pure prospect with a ceiling as high as the top 3.

Not somebody I'd be hard up on in the first couple of days but with a pair of 6th round picks he should probably on our radar (along with about a dozen other WRs who seem likely to slide a bit).
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:01 AM 04-05-2019
Originally Posted by Iconic:
He's definitely drafted some. Chesson, Riley Cooper, Marvin McNutt just since 2010. But yeah it's rare and I don't think it's happening either. I just really like this kid, talent and technique in spades, he's more of a sleeper.

I REALLY like Boykin. IMO he's probably the second or third best WR in the draft. So unfortunately I don't think he's there for us in round 2. But if he is... holy fuck.
I hope they go the route of Conley and trade up in the 3rd for Boykin. That kid with an actual QB is going to be amazing. Shit....I'd trade up in the 2nd for him.
[Reply]
Shoes 01:06 PM 04-05-2019
Reminds me of Josh Gordon a bit- decent comparison errrrr?
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 01:24 PM 04-05-2019
After the past year I'm completely fine with not drafting anyone who has any history of assault + violence.
[Reply]
Iconic 03:43 PM 04-15-2019

Iowa State's Hakeem Butler leads the draft class at receiver in total deep receiving yards from last season

The top 5:https://t.co/29lvKJBdXw pic.twitter.com/mqH8EJ9YnI

— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) April 15, 2019

In good company
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 04:02 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I can't recall too many receivers ever drafted under Reid going all the way back that were much over 6'1 and slower. There was that one white kid in Philly I forget his name. I dunno. I don't see it happening. If they go for a bigger receiver, I'm really on board with Boykin, cuz he has wheels to go with it.
When I look at Reid it seems like he liked traditional west coast type WR's... but then he got a guy named Owens from SF. Owens was a big dude, but the thing that I think caught Andy's attention was his ability to run past the defense. After that the guy seems to draft for speed and quickness at the position and has had a lot of success with it.

Or it could just be that he adapted to the rules limiting physicality, making quicker and faster WR's more dangerous due to DB's inability to hold them.

I remember it wasn't the case early on when he was drafting Fred Ex and stuff. Either way a 6-4 4.55 guy doesn't strike me as a Reid type of WR.
[Reply]
Kiimo 02:15 PM 04-16-2019
In the draft guide Preston Williams is the #35 receiver.

Yikes.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:16 PM 04-16-2019
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:

Yikes.
He’s much better than that. That’s for sure.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 02:27 PM 04-16-2019
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:

Yikes.
Why do you have this weird fascination with Arrowhead pride?
[Reply]
Kiimo 02:49 PM 04-16-2019
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
Why do you have this weird fascination with Arrowhead pride?
I'm referring to the Athletic's Dane Bruglers draft guide, not Arrowhead Pride.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:52 PM 04-16-2019
Chose not to train for the combine? Dafuq?

Ok. I get it. This guy is a goddamn idiot.

Decision making skills matter. And a collegiate football player with a chance to be drafted that doesn't train for what's essentially the biggest interview of his life is a very, very, very bad decision maker.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up