ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Nzoner's Game Room>IS THERE a price that’s too high for you to pay Mahomes?
Direckshun 11:30 AM 05-23-2020
I know we all say in jest we should pay him a small country’s economy, and I think we all have a read on Mahomes’ character to where we anticipate he’ll re-set the market but he’s not going to gobble up half of our capspace or anything. We know it’s going to be pricey and that that’s reasonable.

But what if Mahomes goes the full Dak.

Seriously — we’ve never seen anything like this. He won an MVP *and* a Super Bowl MVP. He’s had the best start to his career in NFL history.

What if Mahomes comes to you, Brett Veach, and opens at 55m/year? 60m/year?

And if he does come in at an astronomical price that you won’t accept, what do you do? You have him on the 5th year option in 2021, and two years of the franchise tag through 2023.

But this is a guy who our ABSOLUTE BEST SHOT at multiple Super Bowls. How high is too high for that?
[Reply]
Direckshun 06:21 PM 05-23-2020
Honestly Deshaun might warrant it.

Mahomes means everything to KC but Watson indisputably means more.

That roster simply isn’t as good as ours.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 06:24 PM 05-23-2020
Of course there is a number that is too high.
As others have stated that is not something that Mahomes is likely to push for though.
[Reply]
digger 06:31 PM 05-23-2020

[Reply]
DRM08 06:34 PM 05-23-2020
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Honestly Deshaun might warrant it.

Mahomes means everything to KC but Watson indisputably means more.

That roster simply isn’t as good as ours.
Much better coach in KC than Houston, that's for sure. I think if Houston is OK with dumping Hopkins, they are probably OK with dumping Watson as well if he gets out of control on the salary demand (Dak 2.0). Deshaun hasn't exactly been kicking butt in the playoffs.
[Reply]
Fat Elvis 06:46 PM 05-23-2020
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
Maybe it's a dumb idea but I would just pay him a percentage of the salary cap and call it a day. You'd never have to re-negotiate as long as you want to keep him. You could add some kind of an out clause where he could be guaranteed whatever the next season's amount would be (reduced only by a new deal) if he's with us for more than 10 seasons so he gets a bonus on the back-end but I'd take a couple years of salary cap hell 15 years from now for a bunch of Super Bowls over that time period.

What the right amount of the cap would be? Probably close to 20% but maybe he'd take a little less.

I'm sure others smarter than me may have reasons why this scheme doesn't work but, if it does, it would remove any chance of Mahomes ever going anywhere no matter what else happens.
Ive said this should be the way to go for a couple of years now; if he would accept 16% of the salary cap per year, based upon average year over year cap increases, I think I figured out that he would make ~$750M over the course of his career--that's before any endorsement deals; that's just straight up salary.
[Reply]
Jerok 06:50 PM 05-23-2020
If he demands 70 mil I pay him 40 and give him 5% of the franchise.
If he demands 100 mil I trade him for 4 firsts, 3 seconds, 2 thirds, and 1 fourth, after getting 5 years + 2 years tag out of him.
[Reply]
big nasty kcnut 09:04 PM 05-23-2020
No.
[Reply]
OrtonsPiercedTaint 09:14 PM 05-23-2020
I think the model is to take less. So there is more for the officials
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 09:27 PM 05-23-2020
I’d just like to say that I hope Patrick Mahomes the second continues to play for my favorite football team which is the Kansas City Chiefs. I think he’s a splendid player.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:29 PM 05-23-2020
Originally Posted by Jerok:
If he demands 100 mil I trade him for 4 firsts, 3 seconds, 2 thirds, and 1 fourth, after getting 5 years + 2 years tag out of him.
Pieces of the franchise are not allowed in the CBA. Nor are promises of additional money after their playing days are over.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 09:38 PM 05-23-2020
Originally Posted by Jerok:
He can always hold out which ties up that cap figure leaving us without him or the money to kind as good a replacement as possible. He will not do a year on the tag let alone 2. Remember there were rumblings that his agent wanted a new contract this off-season or he might not play in 2020-2022 season but Mahomes squashed that notion.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Jerok 09:48 PM 05-23-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
He can always hold out which ties up that cap figure leaving us without him or the money to kind as good a replacement as possible. He will not do a year on the tag let alone 2. Remember there were rumblings that his agent wanted a new contract this off-season or he might not play in 2020-2022 season but Mahomes squashed that notion.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
The new CBA makes it harder to hold out. I'm not sure how this works exactly, but $40,000 per day and losing a year of time toward free agency sounds promising. Not sure how it works on a tagged player though, if he would have to come back and play on the tag.
[Reply]
PHOG 06:39 AM 05-24-2020
No. :-)
[Reply]
KChiefs1 07:07 AM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
I think the Chiefs should do something unique & innovative. Assign Mahomes a percentage of the cap that can go up every year. That way it’s automatic & no need to renegotiate every few years.

15%? 20%? 25%?

Has anyone checked the stats on QB’s getting 15-20% of the cap & still making the Super Bowl? I think it would be low.

Pat has to decide on money or winning.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 08:10 AM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Has anyone checked the stats on QB’s getting 15-20% of the cap & still making the Super Bowl? I think it would be low.

Pat has to decide on money or winning.
There’s a chart of that somewhere but I can’t remember the results.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Up