ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Media Center>PC Maintenance-What Do You Do?
vailpass 12:46 PM 12-06-2018
It's been almost 2 years since we built my sons' rigs. They are all running fine but seems to me I should be doing some sort of tune up or clean out. Should I?

What do you do for periodic maintenance and well-care for your PC?
[Reply]
jd1020 09:30 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by srvy:
Shop Vac works good by reversing the hose it becomes a blower. Its a little less powerful than a leaf blower less chance to damage anything. I have done this with a lot of electronics like tv, receivers, guitar amps etc.

[Reply]
Pants 10:24 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Saulbadguy:
I don't do shit.
Sauuuuuuul!!!!! Where have you been, dog?
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 10:31 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Back in the day when I did tech support on dialup and Pentium 3's, I had a customer actually submerge their keyboard and mouse in soapy water to "clean" it.
Not as stupid as it seems. I’ve done this with sticky keyboards I couldn’t get clean. The key is to make sure it is 100% dry before plugging it back in.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 10:52 PM 12-06-2018
I have a laptop keyboard that needs a pint of beer cleaned out of it, Saved the laptop but may give it a bath in windshield solution and dry it out and see what happens. Cause $15 counts

I use a program called Hitman Pro and have been happy as it's portable and does what it advertises. YMMV
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:02 AM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
Not as stupid as it seems. I’ve done this with sticky keyboards I couldn’t get clean. The key is to make sure it is 100% dry before plugging it back in.
Most keyboards nowadays, you can crack the case and all the mechanisms are fairly waterproof anyway. Unless you have a clicky keyboard, it's a pressure sheet wedged between the keys and the base, and all the electronics are on a little chip up by the power cord or IR transmitter, depending on your type [heh] of keyboard.

I've thrown the individual keys along with the clamshell of the board into the dishwasher before, then just wiped down the pressure sheet and reassembled.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:19 AM 12-07-2018
Not even going to ask how you keep getting keyboards that sticky but might a suggest a throw rag?
[Reply]
Fish 10:26 AM 12-07-2018
Seriously... wash your disgusting hands, you filthy animals....
[Reply]
srvy 01:42 PM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Not even going to ask how you keep getting keyboards that sticky but might a suggest a throw rag?
:-)
[Reply]
Pants 11:46 AM 12-08-2018
Originally Posted by jd1020:
It's not as uncommon as you think. I got the idea from a youtuber that I watch named Carey Holzman, he's a computer tech.

You can get a cheap ass electric leaf blower for like $30 and never have to continuously buy $5 cans of compressed air.
This is awesome. I'm gonna try doing it today.

I have also decided to finally install my M.2 drive and do a fresh Windows install. It's been a while since I've done anything with my PC.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 06:19 PM 12-08-2018
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
open it up and clean it out with canned air
Or buy an air compressor and save some money in the long run. :-)

Keep an eye on your WinSxS directory inside of windows, it can kill 90% of your C drive space over time. It just grows and grows and never deflates.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 06:23 PM 12-08-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I use my air compressor. :-)
OH snap just saw this posted, this works best. Nothing like free canned air which is what 7 bucks plus a pop?
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:11 PM 12-10-2018
That was 20+ years ago. Keyboards are a little different in this day and age. :-)
[Reply]
Predarat 10:05 AM 12-12-2018
Irony was when people used to download Virus and Malware scanners from KaZaA
[Reply]
Otter 07:04 PM 12-13-2018
A little bit of WD-40 lithium spray on the fans after a good cleaning doesn't hurt either. Just be careful what you hit and make sure not you're packing more dust in the moving parts.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 07:44 PM 12-13-2018

[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up