ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 10
« First < 45678 910 >
Media Center>2018 Black Friday Thread
Sofa King 06:32 PM 11-14-2018
Anyone found any amazing deals yet? A lot of ads finally started coming out.

I'm looking for a good 65 inch 4k smart TV, maybe a nintendo switch. Always up for hunting and fishing stuff as well. Bought a bunch of video games last year during it.

Whatcha got?
[Reply]
vailpass 10:01 AM 11-27-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I'm not real fond of the Roku UI either but Fire TV is the worst. My mother-in-law's Fire Stick would randomly disable Netflix all the time. Most annoying piece of tech I've ever bought. Not completely useless, not real useful.
Hah really? Coincidence? Or Bezos treachery? Wouldn't surprise me either way.

Like the Fire tablet and everything else Amazon has the fire stick just felt like nothing more than a big ad to push you into buying stuff. Screw that.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:04 AM 11-27-2018
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Hah really? Coincidence? Or Bezos treachery? Wouldn't surprise me either way.

Like the Fire tablet and everything else Amazon has the fire stick just felt like nothing more than a big ad to push you into buying stuff. Screw that.
If nothing else, the lack of response to complaints smells of shenanigans...
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:46 AM 11-27-2018
If nothing else, the lack of response to complaints smells of shenanigans...
FWIW I have a fire stick in my office and it has never kicked out netflix. I don't hate it. But I've never ran Roku.

I don't have a dog in the fight, and I'm certainly not going to battle for Amazon, but the fire stick is cheap as fuck and works pretty good for me.
[Reply]
Frosty 10:47 AM 11-27-2018
We've had a 50" Samsung plasma for what seems like forever and it's still going strong. It's fine for watching TV but has started to feel small when watching movies, especially the movies shot in 2.35:1.

I started researching 65" TVs and the wife put her foot down and stated she didn't want a bigger TV in the living room, especially for watching regular TV shows. I had a 720p projector before we got the plasma so I started researching new projectors.

BenQ was running a Black Friday deal on their 1080p and some 4K projectors from mid-November to mid-December. Then on the actual Black Friday, projectorpeople.com was running an addition 4% off plus a free ceiling mount so I picked up the BenQ HT2550 4K projector for around $1040.

It's not "true" 4K because it uses pixel shifting to achieve the 8 whatever million pixels but I don't really care. My eyes aren't good enough to discern the difference anyway. All reviews said it had a a great picture even with some ambient light so that's good enough for me. My main concern was that I saw rainbows with my old DLP projector and this is also a DLP but it has the newer RGBRGB wheel which is supposed to eliminate the rainbow effect.

All in all, I hope this is a good compromise for movie watching.
[Reply]
Fish 10:56 AM 11-27-2018
I'm not real fond of the Roku UI either but Fire TV is the worst. My mother-in-law's Fire Stick would randomly disable Netflix all the time. Most annoying piece of tech I've ever bought. Not completely useless, not real useful.
I've had a FireTV for many years, and it's never once disabled Netflix. I have many friends and family with one as well, and I've never heard of such a thing. Short of the current lack of native Youtube and YoutubeTV access, the FireTV has been a great device for the people I've set it up for. I've found Roku is way too limited in what you can install on it.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 11:35 AM 11-27-2018
Originally Posted by Fish:
I've had a FireTV for many years, and it's never once disabled Netflix. I have many friends and family with one as well, and I've never heard of such a thing. Short of the current lack of native Youtube and YoutubeTV access, the FireTV has been a great device for the people I've set it up for. I've found Roku is way too limited in what you can install on it.

agreed, I have 2 firesticks, one 1st gen and one 2nd gen, neither have this issue.
[Reply]
vailpass 01:44 PM 11-27-2018
Yet a simple "netflix crash on fire stick" search yields multiple results. Too, 99% of us aren't jail breaking our streaming devices like you Fish you evil genius.
[Reply]
Fish 02:11 PM 11-27-2018
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Yet a simple "netflix crash on fire stick" search yields multiple results. Too, 99% of us aren't jail breaking our streaming devices like you Fish you evil genius.
Nah, Amazon devices don't require any jailbreaking at all. They allow you to sideload any .apk you want. They're actually very developer friendly in that regard. And technically a "Netflix crash" is a very different thing than "Netflix disabled" which is why you see lots of results.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:18 PM 11-27-2018
It's definitely not a "crash". Once or twice a week, it wouldn't login, instead asking for her username and password (or to start a free trial, as if she had never signed in). Entering a username and password would be met with an invalid login error.

Clearing the data cache (or removing and reinstalling the app) was the only way to fix it.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:20 PM 11-27-2018
In my case, I don't care about flexibility. It's for my mother-in-law. I want it to work. Period. The less time I have to listen to her bitching about how she can't watch When Calls the Heart, the better. I got her a TCL Roku TV a few weeks ago and haven't stepped foot in her room one time since. I think I'll use the Fire stick to start my next campfire.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:23 PM 11-27-2018
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
FWIW I have a fire stick in my office and it has never kicked out netflix. I don't hate it. But I've never ran Roku.

I don't have a dog in the fight, and I'm certainly not going to battle for Amazon, but the fire stick is cheap as fuck and works pretty good for me.
The only reason I have a dog in the fight is because my experience with the Fire stick has been so poor. The Roku interface is easier for her to navigate (I don't like it but then again, it's not my TV) because Amazon is just another app on Roku, it isn't the centerpiece of the UI.
[Reply]
Fish 02:31 PM 11-27-2018
In my case, I don't care about flexibility. It's for my mother-in-law. I want it to work. Period. The less time I have to listen to her bitching about how she can't watch When Calls the Heart, the better. I got her a TCL Roku TV a few weeks ago and haven't stepped foot in her room one time since. I think I'll use the Fire stick to start my next campfire.
To be honest, that's why I've favored the Fire devices, because for me and the people I've configured them for they've been incredibly reliable. Not trying to say I don't believe you, I've just never run into that issue and I have many Fire devices setup for people which have been in use for years. My dad appreciates that I've got several movie/TV apps on there that simply require him to launch the app and use the voice search to find what he wants to watch. Apps like Netflix are usually foolproof since the app autoupdates itself.
[Reply]
BigRichard 02:39 PM 11-27-2018
To be honest, that's why I've favored the Fire devices, because for me and the people I've configured them for they've been incredibly reliable. Not trying to say I don't believe you, I've just never run into that issue and I have many Fire devices setup for people which have been in use for years. My dad appreciates that I've got several movie/TV apps on there that simply require him to launch the app and use the voice search to find what he wants to watch. Apps like Netflix are usually foolproof since the app autoupdates itself.
The only thing about Fire TV that pissed me off was they took away the ethernet port for the box. I know you can buy that extra piece but that is why I am paying the extra money for the box to begin with. I shouldn't have to pay extra for it now. I have one of the older generation ones and I wish I would have picked up one or two more when they were out there.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:43 PM 11-27-2018
We have 3 Kindle Fire HD's (and 3 Fire's before that) - great tablets and I literally never have to touch them, from a support standpoint. For TV, we have 3 Sony BR players that we had long before we cut the cord so we just used them everywhere except for on my Vizio, which has smart apps built in. The only place we had a gap was in the mother-in-law's room and because of my experiences with the tablets, I bought her a Fire Stick.

I think the voice search might be a big part of the experience. Her stick was the one right before they added the voice remote. I had to show her at least 2 or 3 times a month how to find Hulu and Netflix because the apps are buried in the Amazon-centric UI.
[Reply]
vailpass 05:02 PM 11-27-2018
Nah, Amazon devices don't require any jailbreaking at all. They allow you to sideload any .apk you want. They're actually very developer friendly in that regard. And technically a "Netflix crash" is a very different thing than "Netflix disabled" which is why you see lots of results.
Got ya’. Cool of you to use your wizardry to set people up with deluxe streaming.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 10
« First < 45678 910 >
Up