ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 30
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Media Center>The Curse of Oak Island
mr. tegu 01:31 PM 01-13-2014
Has anyone else started watching this show? I am a sucker for this kind of thing and so far it has been very interesting. You can watch the first two episodes in the link below. Since this was filmed over the summer, if any of you have figured out what happens please use spoilers for anything that hasn't aired yet.

http://www.history.com/shows/the-curse-of-oak-island

For those who aren't familiar, very briefly, it is about an island on the eastern shore of Canada that is rumored to have buried treasure from possibly the Knights Templar dating back to the 1300s. In 1795 an apparent secret hiding space was discovered in which levels of wooden planks were buried every 10 feet. Digging down around a hundred feet, they found some gold link chain and a few other things. Eventually they dug to a point that causes the hold to be flooded by sea water as if it was some sort of boobie trap, which is believed to come from some type of tube that is out in the ocean.

Another person in the 1970s dug alongside the original hole but also got his hole flooded by sea water. These guys now who are on the show purchased most of the island and are trying to solve the mystery with help from the guys who dug their own hole in the 1970s. The hole curse aspect is just kind of meh and I don't really pay attention to it, but I am sure the producers just like the added element it presents. The mystery and adventure is really interesting. It is nice to see a show like this that is actually producing some results so far.
[Reply]
KCUnited 02:07 PM 11-04-2014
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
That is true. I was thinking more along the lines of someone on the island saying something they shouldn't, whereas it sounds like you are suggesting the people with the rights tease us and let us know something was found. Either way I don't think not hearing anything is an indicator of what happened.
Yeah, I think it would be a major news story with the network having the exclusive video of the entire process and discovery. Right now I'm just thinking about watching it. If I'd been reading about a significant discovery for the last couple months, I'd definitely tune it. If I don't catch it, I'll be sure to check the thread for updates.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 02:11 PM 11-04-2014
Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet:
My main beef with the show is they aren't ever going to find shit.

If they ever do find shit, which they won't, I would watch the 2 hour history channel documentary special about it.

It's exactly like the bigfoot show. Or the ghost hunter show. Or the ancient ****ing aliens show.
Did you watch the show last season? It is completely different for a variety of reasons. Not the least of which being that they are actually spending a substantial amount of time and effort in one location in search of something.

On all the other shows you are talking about, they get a few stories and spend a few nights in the wilderness or wherever and then they are on their way to some new location to do the same thing without putting any real effort or time into their endeavors.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 03:53 PM 11-04-2014
Did you watch the show last season? It is completely different for a variety of reasons. Not the least of which being that they are actually spending a substantial amount of time and effort in one location in search of something.

On all the other shows you are talking about, they get a few stories and spend a few nights in the wilderness or wherever and then they are on their way to some new location to do the same thing without putting any real effort or time into their endeavors.
Do you honestly believe they are ever going to find a damn thing?
[Reply]
hometeam 04:28 PM 11-04-2014
My main beef with the show is they aren't ever going to find shit.

If they ever do find shit, which they won't, I would watch the 2 hour history channel documentary special about it.

It's exactly like the bigfoot show. Or the ghost hunter show. Or the ancient ****ing aliens show.

Thats absurd!

Everyone knows History channel doesn't do documentaries anymore. Sheesh man.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 06:23 PM 11-04-2014
Do you honestly believe they are ever going to find a damn thing?
They found an old Spanish coin and confirmed that old coconut fibers were on the island. Is that nothing?
[Reply]
Rausch 06:36 PM 11-04-2014
They found an old Spanish coin and confirmed that old coconut fibers were on the island. Is that nothing?
It's something.

But that alone isn't interesting.

I think there's something down there but I don't think they'll find anything any time soon...
[Reply]
mr. tegu 06:47 PM 11-04-2014
Originally Posted by Rausch:
It's something.

But that alone isn't interesting.

I think there's something down there but I don't think they'll find anything any time soon...
Of course by themselves they are a bit out of place and odd and do not seem to connect, but combined with the stories and other anecdotal evidence it is quite interesting.
[Reply]
teedubya 07:16 PM 11-04-2014
The whole Oak Island story has been fascinating to me, since I was a kid, as well... Going down all of those layers and finding Oak planks and coconut fibers... then the money pit flooding with ocean water... something is up there.

Let's hope it's not like Geraldo Rivera's Al Capone Vault. LOL
[Reply]
Easy 6 10:26 PM 11-04-2014
So, Nova Scotia has let various people dig around that island for decades with no problems at all. But now that two serious men with the means to bring in the kind of modern equipment that can really get to the heart of the matter - having already found a piece of 8 from 1652 - start finding really strange things... all of the sudden the province wants to "preserve" Oak Island.

That island is only one of of dozens just like it around there, but they are now wanting to "preserve" just this one particular island, after what these guys have found?... pretty damn convenient if you ask me.
[Reply]
kcxiv 12:44 AM 11-05-2014
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
So, Nova Scotia has let various people dig around that island for decades with no problems at all. But now that two serious men with the means to bring in the kind of modern equipment that can really get to the heart of the matter - having already found a piece of 8 from 1652 - start finding really strange things... all of the sudden the province wants to "preserve" Oak Island.

That island is only one of of dozens just like it around there, but they are now wanting to "preserve" just this one particular island, after what these guys have found?... pretty damn convenient if you ask me.
You see this shit all the time on the history shows about guy's trying to dig deep. Happened on that american unearthed i think? with that one geologist dude thinking he's indiana Jones. He tries to investigate certain things and is told yes at first, then when he gets there he says the government told him no. Like supposedly there are these caves in the grand canyon so he hires a helicopter to check them out only to find out he cant fly next to them only above the ground. lol
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:20 PM 11-05-2014
Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja:
You see this shit all the time on the history shows about guy's trying to dig deep. Happened on that american unearthed i think? with that one geologist dude thinking he's indiana Jones. He tries to investigate certain things and is told yes at first, then when he gets there he says the government told him no. Like supposedly there are these caves in the grand canyon so he hires a helicopter to check them out only to find out he cant fly next to them only above the ground. lol
Governments ok things at first to make it look like whatevers being looked into is no big deal, then if it starts looking like the person/people are serious and might find something... its mysteriously scuttled.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 10:34 PM 11-11-2014
Pretty interesting episode tonight. I am not sure what to think about the new ideas presented by the other researcher they brought in but a good story like that is always fun.

The few finds they had with the metal detector are also very encouraging assuming they turn out to be what the initial thoughts are.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 10:46 AM 11-26-2014
Last night's episode showed some tremendous progress. You get a core sample down 140 feet and you find separate pieces of wood sitting right on top of each other, yet they are perfectly perpendicular? That is pretty cool.
[Reply]
lcarus 07:18 PM 11-26-2014
Last night's episode showed some tremendous progress. You get a core sample down 140 feet and you find separate pieces of wood sitting right on top of each other, yet they are perfectly perpendicular? That is pretty cool.
It would be much appreciated if you would list any interesting things that happen every episode for me in this thread. Because I don't have cable and I know I won't ever remember to look up any recaps online.
[Reply]
kcxiv 08:01 PM 11-26-2014
They found 2 old (spanish?) coins. Thats about it until lastnights episode which was pretty cool. The concrete and 2 wood samples were very interesting.

I watch a few of these history channel shows, but alot of it is just them trying to get good tv out there. lol Fun stuff though.
[Reply]
Page 16 of 30
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Up