ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 14
« First < 3910111213 14 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Will the Chiefs sign a RB
Mecca 03:22 PM 09-14-2020
Supposedly they wanted Peterson but only after week 1...about all that's left is Devonta Freeman and Lamar Miller, so does it happen?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:30 PM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
I wonder what the hell was going through Adrian Peterson's mind.

Detroit's not paying him that much at all. Why would he sign there? Does he not want a Super Bowl ring or something?
They aren’t but they signed him before week 1 so as a vested veteran it’s guaranteed for the season.

KC wasn’t gonna do that. And APs money troubles are well known.

Dude probably just no-shit needed the paycheck.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:51 PM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I don't get it. Are there not players - especially those from small schools - who look lost as rookies but progress when given a chance against better competition and coached up?

I'm hardly a devout Thompson defender - and he made so many unforced errors last year - but I'd like to see a little bit this season before he's entirely written off.
He played in the Mountain West, he only had one year of experience, and he's undersized. He struggles with pass blocking, isn't a great receiver out of that backfield, and on top of all that, he struggles with looking lost. I really don't understand what there is to get excited about.

It would be different if he had something more about him coming out that was promising but as it is, he's just another long list of practice squad-type players.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:55 PM 09-16-2020
I mean, it would be one thing if he was inexperienced but a superb physical specimen. It might be another if he was a 3-year starter at a mid-major. It might be yet another if he had one great year in a power 5 conference.

He's small, he's not fast, he faced inferior competition, he needs a ton of experience, he lacks good instincts, I mean I could go on. This team really needs somebody that can step in and go if CEH goes down. That's not Darwin Thompson and it's really not DWill either.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 09:19 PM 09-16-2020
Beast Mode.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 02:44 AM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I mean, it would be one thing if he was inexperienced but a superb physical specimen.
https://twitter.com/coachscholz/stat...322240?lang=en

Just gonna leave that here.
[Reply]
htismaqe 06:18 AM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
https://twitter.com/coachscholz/stat...322240?lang=en

Just gonna leave that here.
He's good at lifting inanimate objects. :-)

:-)

:-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 06:55 AM 09-17-2020
I'm not a Thompson fan, I know it's obvious.

But there still is a real question here. Even if you guys are right about his potential, he STILL needs to be developed. There's a reason he's #3 on the depth chart.

If CEH goes down right now, we are freaking screwed. If they want to keep Thompson on as a developmental project, that's fine with me.

But even his defenders acknowledge he's not ready to shoulder any kind of meaningful load. Are we really going to pretend that Williams or Thompson could step in and contribute in a meaningful way if CEH were to go down?
[Reply]
Mecca 07:00 AM 09-17-2020

But there still is a real question here. Even if you guys are right about his potential, he STILL needs to be developed. There's a reason he's #3 on the depth chart.

If CEH goes down right now, we are freaking screwed. If they want to keep Thompson on as a developmental project, that's fine with me.

But even his defenders acknowledge he's not ready to shoulder any kind of meaningful load. Are we really going to pretend that Williams or Thompson could step in and contribute in a meaningful way if CEH were to go down?
If CEH goes down we're an all passing team.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:16 AM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
If CEH goes down we're an all passing team.
That would suck. Even last year, we got key contributions from Damien when we needed it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:33 AM 09-17-2020
That would suck. Even last year, we got key contributions from Damien when we needed it.
If CEH goes down, the handcuff for him is presently on the PS, IMO.

Darrel Williams is the backup right now because he presents a slightly different skill-set than CEH. He can be a between the tackles thumper and a sound pass blocker. He's steady and reliable as a short-term backup.

Washington, OTOH, doesn't know the system as well and what he does well are the same things that CEH does well. He's not a complement to CEH as much as he is a watered down version of him.

So if CEH goes down, I think Washington ends up being the primary ballcarrier and Williams role doesn't change appreciably. I think Washington can be a valuable contributor, but he obviously won't be what CEH can be. Frankly he'd probably be somewhere south of what Damien was. But he can play a little bit and at least help the Chiefs maintain the credible threat of the occasional run and keep teams from just putting 5 or 6 in the box every single down.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:42 AM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
If CEH goes down, the handcuff for him is presently on the PS, IMO.

Darrel Williams is the backup right now because he presents a slightly different skill-set than CEH. He can be a between the tackles thumper and a sound pass blocker. He's steady and reliable as a short-term backup.

Washington, OTOH, doesn't know the system as well and what he does well are the same things that CEH does well. He's not a complement to CEH as much as he is a watered down version of him.

So if CEH goes down, I think Washington ends up being the primary ballcarrier and Williams role doesn't change appreciably. I think Washington can be a valuable contributor, but he obviously won't be what CEH can be. Frankly he'd probably be somewhere south of what Damien was. But he can play a little bit and at least help the Chiefs maintain the credible threat of the occasional run and keep teams from just putting 5 or 6 in the box every single down.
So he's not really good enough to crack the 3-deep but they're going to call him up from the PS and make him the #1?

Can't say I understand that logic at all, but oh well.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:43 AM 09-17-2020
If Edwards-Helaire goes down for an extended period of time, I think they would have to sign or trade for a new RB.

Devonta Freeman is still out there and would make sense if CEH is out for a long period of time.

I also could see targeting Bryce Love, whom the Redskins seem content to bury.

If you could get Love for a 6th or something like that I think it's worth doing regardless of what CEH's injury status is. He can catch the ball and - if healthy/recovered - could give them a dynamic 1-2 punch with CEH.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:54 AM 09-17-2020
So he's not really good enough to crack the 3-deep but they're going to call him up from the PS and make him the #1?

Can't say I understand that logic at all, but oh well.
Happens w/ some frequency.

There's a difference between a complementary backup and a replacement starter. Think of Williams as being in a relief pitcher's role. If a starting pitcher goes down, you don't just take your 7th inning guy and tell him to give you 5 innings.

You go to the minors and get the guy who wasn't good enough to crack the starting rotation and call him up when a starting pitcher goes down.

I think Williams is a complementary player for CEH. Thompson is a guy who Toub really likes on STs. I think the 'backup starter' possibility is the reason they bothered to put Washington on the practice squad. If they really thought of him as a flat out worse player than Darwin, I don't think they even PS him.

He just doesn't have a good fit on the gameday 50 man, IMO. But if CEH went down, he'd slot better into the #1 role than either Williams or Thompson would.
[Reply]
RealSNR 08:55 AM 09-17-2020

We're taking a step back in our running game for sure if CEH goes down. That's a given. It's probably not going to be as effective as it was with Damien Williams in the playoffs, either.

But still... I will never doubt Andy Reid's ability to turn chicken poop into chicken salad. Again, we all thought we were screwed when Charles went down and some douche named Spencer Ware came in. Or when the Kareem Hunt stuff exploded and we had to hand the ball off to some rando named Damien Williams that we plucked off the street in training camp, who had to compete with 3 or 4 other RBs for just the third string spot.

No, it wasn't always pretty, but we managed to usually hold the line with a "just good enough" running game. And in the playoffs, it turns out it was actually quite efficient.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:55 AM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
If Edwards-Helaire goes down for an extended period of time, I think they would have to sign or trade for a new RB.

Devonta Freeman is still out there and would make sense if CEH is out for a long period of time.

I also could see targeting Bryce Love, whom the Redskins seem content to bury.

If you could get Love for a 6th or something like that I think it's worth doing regardless of what CEH's injury status is. He can catch the ball and - if healthy/recovered - could give them a dynamic 1-2 punch with CEH.
Yeah, the Love thing is weird. 3 weeks before the season started he was getting a look with the 1s. Then suddenly he was possibly not going to make the roster.

Makes me wonder if he's not quite healthy yet.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 14
« First < 3910111213 14 >
Up