ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Earliest you'd get a punter?
ThrobProng 03:25 PM 04-11-2024
The earliest I'd get a punter is the summer of 2025, if Araiza doesn't work out.
[Reply]
Dante84 01:51 PM 04-12-2024
I think you're going to have your socks blown off once preseason starts.

I want you to re-watch this and set your mind at ease.

[Reply]
Direckshun 01:51 PM 04-15-2024
Originally Posted by Dante84:

Pretty awesome highlights.
[Reply]
LoneWolf 03:27 PM 04-15-2024
Originally Posted by Dante84:

Is it just because he's a left footed punter and it looks different or does he take an extra step before punting the ball. It seems like he takes an awfully long time to get the punt off.
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:57 PM 04-12-2024
Uh, is this for real? How about shortly after never? What are we, the Raiders?
[Reply]
staylor26 03:02 PM 04-12-2024
I love how just about everybody shit on this thread, but Direckshun just couldn't handle me specfically doing it.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 04:32 PM 04-12-2024
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I love how just about everybody shit on this thread, but Direckshun just couldn't handle me specfically doing it.
Only quoting so he sees this and starts to mend relations
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:52 PM 04-15-2024
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
Only quoting so he sees this and starts to mend relations
:-)

I need therapy receipts from him before I reconsider.
[Reply]
kccrow 11:49 PM 04-12-2024
Here are EPA-driven assessments that show that there aren't vast differences in EPA by punter, but even when there are they aren't on the field enough plays for it to have a significant cumulative effect throughout a season. A best punter adding 2-3 points per SEASON is not getting you very far. I'll look for other stuff as I can here.

https://harvardsportsanalysis.org/20...f-nfl-punters/

https://www.bigblueview.com/2022/6/1...an-riley-dixon
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:54 PM 04-15-2024
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Here are EPA-driven assessments that show that there aren't vast differences in EPA by punter, but even when there are they aren't on the field enough plays for it to have a significant cumulative effect throughout a season. A best punter adding 2-3 points per SEASON is not getting you very far. I'll look for other stuff as I can here.

https://harvardsportsanalysis.org/20...f-nfl-punters/

https://www.bigblueview.com/2022/6/1...an-riley-dixon
I mean this with all due respect: I don't think you can measure their effectiveness with this kind of analysis.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 11:41 AM 04-14-2024
Does anyone else think its weird that more Punters don't Kick, and vise-versa?

Might be super useful to save one of those roster spots by merging the two.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 01:14 PM 04-14-2024
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
Does anyone else think its weird that more Punters don't Kick, and vise-versa?

Might be super useful to save one of those roster spots by merging the two.
I always thought that the ability to do both an open a roster spot would be huge. Honestly with as little as punting matters just let your kicker do the best he can.
[Reply]
kccrow 03:55 PM 04-14-2024
I always thought that the ability to do both an open a roster spot would be huge. Honestly with as little as punting matters just let your kicker do the best he can.
I mean, it does matter, there just isn't enough variation among NFL-caliber punters to make an astronomical difference.

We averaged 4 punts per game in 2023. If we're giving up 4-5 yards on average over having a great punter, that's probably not going to lead to many more points against us.

Now if you go ahead and do what you say here, you might be going from a difference of a punter that gets 44 ypp vs 50 ypp and 42 vs 47 net to something a lot worse. If we start handing teams, say 15 yards of extra field position regularly, that's going to result in more points against us. The motions and placement are so different, right, that you'd probably end up with a very below-average player on both fronts.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 06:05 AM 04-15-2024
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I mean, it does matter, there just isn't enough variation among NFL-caliber punters to make an astronomical difference.

We averaged 4 punts per game in 2023. If we're giving up 4-5 yards on average over having a great punter, that's probably not going to lead to many more points against us.

Now if you go ahead and do what you say here, you might be going from a difference of a punter that gets 44 ypp vs 50 ypp and 42 vs 47 net to something a lot worse. If we start handing teams, say 15 yards of extra field position regularly, that's going to result in more points against us. The motions and placement are so different, right, that you'd probably end up with a very below-average player on both fronts.
You would think with some dedication to the craft you could get an average NFL kicker to punt that. I'm sure there's more too it I know little to nothing about kicking. It is two completely different motions.
[Reply]
kccrow 07:05 AM 04-15-2024
You would think with some dedication to the craft you could get an average NFL kicker to punt that. I'm sure there's more too it I know little to nothing about kicking. It is two completely different motions.
There's been guys to do it in college. I mean, Araiza was a kicker for most of his college career. Browning, his successor more or less, did some kicking. Both are much better punters than kickers.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up