ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 20 of 29
« First < 101617181920 21222324 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The logic of drafting OT in the 1st.
The Franchise 12:35 PM 02-06-2021
Can you give a new contract to an injured player? Would they be able to sign Fisher to a small extension that keeps him around another year or two while he rehabs and lowers his cap hit this year?
[Reply]
kccrow 12:43 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Can you give a new contract to an injured player? Would they be able to sign Fisher to a small extension that keeps him around another year or two while he rehabs and lowers his cap hit this year?
They can, some they have given a void year to convert salary to bonus and spread it out over 2 years. A pure extension, I'm not sure I'd do it if I were the Chiefs, given the type of injury. They can even ask him to take a pure pay cut. Some players have in the past here.

I'd definitely be asking him to take a significant pay cut to keep him on the roster during rehab. Fisher doesn't have a ton of leverage there really because the Chiefs could say take a free couple million and stay on the roster or we can cut you and move on.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:44 PM 02-06-2021
I suppose.

Do you really want to do that?

I honestly don't know.

He's not likely to play in '21.

He'll be what, 33 in '22? And don't forget, he has a gimpy back too, he played hurt about half the year.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:08 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I suppose.

Do you really want to do that?

I honestly don't know.

He's not likely to play in '21.

He'll be what, 33 in '22? And don't forget, he has a gimpy back too, he played hurt about half the year.
Fisher turned 30 in January 2021.

Considering there are plenty of offensive lineman that play at a high level well into their 30’s, missing a year with an Achilles shouldn’t hamper his career moving forward.

If the Chiefs happen to move on from him, which I highly doubt at this point, he’ll have a bevy of suitors.
[Reply]
O.city 01:20 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

Considering there are plenty of offensive lineman that play at a high level well into their 30’s, missing a year with an Achilles shouldn’t hamper his career moving forward.

If the Chiefs happen to move on from him, which I highly doubt at this point, he’ll have a bevy of suitors.
Friend of a friend kinda thing, but he was planning on retiring after this current contract. Atleast that’s what this person was told. I’m not sure if he was serious about it but this person would know as well as anyone.

If that’s the case the chiefs will have to find something there long term
[Reply]
kccrow 07:21 PM 02-06-2021

https://www.aaos.org/aaosnow/2020/aa...ch/research17/

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf...3011417S000314

I'm just providing these to give you some background that there is absolutely no guarantee Fisher returns at all, much less as the same caliber player.

I'm not a doctor, so I go with the statistics from people that are. An Achilles is the most damning injury in sports today. Everyone heals differently from it given the lack of blood flow.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:24 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
https://www.aaos.org/aaosnow/2020/aa...ch/research17/

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf...3011417S000314

I'm just providing these to give you some background that there is absolutely no guarantee Fisher returns at all, much less as the same caliber player.

I'm not a doctor, so I go with the statistics from people that are. An Achilles is the most damning injury in sports today. Everyone heals differently from it given the lack of blood flow.
Thanks for the links. The good thing is that he's not a running back because if that were the case, I'm sure the Chiefs would just move on.

The second link stated that the recovery time is 9 months and that "more players are returning to play after injury and with better post-injury performance as compared to the previous two decades".

So if that's the case, Fisher might be ready by Training Camp but I think it's probably safer to guess that he'll end up on the PUP and return somewhere around Week 9, as long as his recovery goes smoothly.

I feel bad for the guy because he's missing out for a chance to win a second consecutive Super Bowl as an NFL starter. Hopefully, he'll come back and play in a third straight Super Bowl.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:05 PM 02-06-2021
I still think you guys are overlooking Martinas Rankin, who will start the Super Bowl at LT.

The Chiefs have one more year of cheap control and if he plays well tomorrow, I don’t think there’s any doubt that he’s the 2021 starting left tackle, at least until Fisher is healthy.
[Reply]
O.city 01:19 PM 02-06-2021
I still think you guys are overlooking Martinas Rankin, who will start the Super Bowl at LT.

The Chiefs have one more year of cheap control and if he plays well tomorrow, I don’t think there’s any doubt that he’s the 2021 starting left tackle, at least until Fisher is healthy.
Remmers is going to Lt I think
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:25 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Remmers is going to Lt I think
For a report that was posted last night....it’s Rankin at LT and Remmers at RT.
[Reply]
O.city 01:32 PM 02-06-2021
Interesting
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:39 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Interesting
It's what I've been saying since Fisher's injury nearly 2 weeks ago.

They don't need to move Remmers from Right to Left nor Wylie from inside to outside if they start Rankin at LT.

Rankin played well with 2nd and 3rd teamers against San Diego but if for some reason he struggles, Andy can always flip the line around but I'd be surprised if that happens because he's all about continuity.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 01:50 PM 02-06-2021

I have to see it to believe it.

If it’s true then the Chiefs must believe they have their LT for 2021.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:30 PM 02-06-2021

Man, I sincerely hope you're spot on with Martinas Rankin at LT. I really do. I REALLY, REALLY do.

I'm INCREDIBLY skeptical. I don't see it, I don't believe it, no-how, no way.

I would really LOVE to be wrong.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:53 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Man, I sincerely hope you're spot on with Martinas Rankin at LT. I really do. I REALLY, REALLY do.

I'm INCREDIBLY skeptical. I don't see it, I don't believe it, no-how, no way.

I would really LOVE to be wrong.
I mentioned it just after Fisher's injury and apparently, Andy Reid had the same thought.

:-)

But seriously, if Reid, the "old offensive line coach" is good with it, then I'm good with it, too.

Again, the Chiefs went 5-3 with freaking Cam Erving (and were a couple of possession from 7-1), so I'm sure Rankin will be fine and most likely, a huge improvement over Erving or they would have re-signed him as a Swing Tackle.
[Reply]
Page 20 of 29
« First < 101617181920 21222324 > Last »
Up