ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3378 of 3903
« First < 2378287832783328336833743375337633773378 33793380338133823388342834783878 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 11:12 AM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
They're transferring her to Barnes in STL, think she has a small bleed but that it should be ok. Want her close to better service if it were to get worse.

2021 off to a great start. ****.
Sorry about your Mom.....
[Reply]
Marcellus 11:23 AM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by loochy:
Do they already have their second shots scheduled?

My wife gets the second dose on Sunday. The first shot was uneventful. The government did not use it to mind control her (yet).
Yea they both have the 2nd shot scheduled.
[Reply]
Donger 11:26 AM 01-04-2021
https://news.trust.org/item/20210104140005-hnx99

LONDON, Jan 4 (Reuters) - UK scientists expressed concern on Monday that COVID-19 vaccines being rolled out in Britain may not be able to protect against a new variant of the coronavirus that emerged in South Africa and has spread internationally.

Both Britain and South Africa have detected new, more transmissible variants of the COVID-19-causing virus in recent weeks that have driven a surge in cases. British Health Secretary Matt Hancock said on Monday he was now very worried about the variant identified in South Africa.

Simon Clarke, an associate professor in cellular microbiology at the University of Reading, said that while both variants had some new features in common, the one found in South Africa "has a number additional mutations ... which are concerning".

He said these included more extensive alterations to a key part of the virus known as the spike protein - which the virus uses to infect human cells - and "may make the virus less susceptible to the immune response triggered by the vaccines".

Lawrence Young, a virologist and professor of molecular oncology at Warwick University, also noted that the South African variant has "multiple spike mutations".

"The accumulation of more spike mutations in the South African variant are more of a concern and could lead to some escape from immune protection," he said.

Scientists including BioNTech CEO Ugur Sahin and John Bell, Regius Professor of Medicine at the University of Oxford, have said they are testing the vaccines against the new variants and say they could make any required tweaks in around six weeks.

Public Health England said there was currently no evidence to suggest COVID-19 vaccines would not protect against the mutated virus variants. Britain's health ministry did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The world's richest countries have started vaccinating their populations to safeguard against a disease that has killed 1.8 million people and crushed the global economy.

There are currently 60 vaccine candidates in trials, including those already being rolled out from AstraZeneca and Oxford, Pfizer and BioNTech, Moderna, Russia's Sputnik V and China's Sinopharm .

Scientists say both the South African and UK variants are associated with a higher viral load, meaning a greater concentration of virus particles in patients' bodies, possibly contributing to increased transmission.

Oxford's Bell, who advises the UK government's vaccine task force, said on Sunday he thought vaccines would work on the British variant but said there was a "big question mark" as to whether they would work on the South African variant.

BioNTech's Sahin told Germany' Spiegel in an interview published on Friday that their vaccine, which uses messenger RNA to instruct the human immune system to fight the virus, should be able to protect against the UK variant.

"We are testing whether our vaccine can also neutralise this variant and will soon know more," he said. (Reporting by Kate Holton, Kate Kelland, Guy Faulconbridge and Alistair Smout; Editing by Mike Collett-White)
[Reply]
Marcellus 11:28 AM 01-04-2021
It seems some people never tire of articles with nothing but speculation and the unknown, spelling more doom and gloom ahead.
[Reply]
O.city 11:30 AM 01-04-2021
If it doesn't protect against, you can tweek the mRNA variant to this new spike.

Again, though, until it shows it doesn't protect against it, i'd assume it does.
[Reply]
Donger 11:33 AM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
It seems some people never tire of articles with nothing but speculation and the unknown, spelling more doom and gloom ahead.
It's not speculation that there are variants.

It's not speculation that these variants have multiple spike mutations.

It is being tested to see if existing vaccines are effective against these variants.

If not, they expect to be able to tweak the vaccines in about six weeks.

In other words, it's just news. It's not doom and gloom.
[Reply]
TLO 11:50 AM 01-04-2021
Inpatients at our hospital have sky rocketed over the past few days after being down to some of the lowest numbers we'd seen not all that long ago.
[Reply]
TLO 11:57 AM 01-04-2021
I wonder how soon we'll know if this version of the vaccine offers protection?
[Reply]
O.city 12:10 PM 01-04-2021
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-since-october
[Reply]
Donger 12:16 PM 01-04-2021
Thought this was interesting. If this new variant has an R0 of 1.5 - 1.7, adding .4 to the previous bug, they are saying that it has an R0 of ~1.2?

https://www.who.int/csr/don/21-decem...ed-kingdom/en/

The new VUI-202012/01 variant has been identified in several countries including Australia, Denmark, Italy, Iceland and the Netherlands.

Preliminary reports by the United Kingdom are that this variant is more transmissible than previous circulating viruses, with an estimated increase of between 40% and 70% in transmissibility (adding 0.4 to the basic reproduction number R0, bringing it to a range of 1.5 to 1.7). Laboratory studies are ongoing to determine whether these variant viruses have different biological properties or alter vaccine efficacy. There is not enough information at present to determine if this variant is associated with any change in severity of clinical disease, antibody response or vaccine efficacy.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 12:30 PM 01-04-2021
I had to see the site nurse last week when I was sick. I was left with with the understanding positive or not I need to do the same shit since i was exposed 6 feet mask etc. So I wasn't in a panic to go get tested because i would be doing the same shit positive or not sleeping in my tomb. I got tested today though because I want to go back to work.
[Reply]
Dunit35 12:32 PM 01-04-2021
Vaccine distribution at my Oklahoma location is going along smoothly. I’ve been watching hundreds of elderly roll through since 9am getting their shots. This event is for 65+ Aged people. I’ve seen all sorts of people from 2+ hours away. I’m guessing people are in and out in half an hour.

We did the same last week for first responders and health care workers.
[Reply]
stumppy 12:37 PM 01-04-2021
They're transferring her to Barnes in STL, think she has a small bleed but that it should be ok. Want her close to better service if it were to get worse.

2021 off to a great start. Fuck.

Damn! Good thoughts headed her way.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:41 PM 01-04-2021

2021 off to a great start. Fuck.
What type of anticoagulation is she on?
[Reply]
RunKC 12:41 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by Dunit35:
Vaccine distribution at my Oklahoma location is going along smoothly. I’ve been watching hundreds of elderly roll through since 9am getting their shots. This event is for 65+ Aged people. I’ve seen all sorts of people from 2+ hours away. I’m guessing people are in and out in half an hour.

We did the same last week for first responders and health care workers.
Are you in OKC, Tulsa or a small city?
[Reply]
Page 3378 of 3903
« First < 2378287832783328336833743375337633773378 33793380338133823388342834783878 > Last »
Up