ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 13
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Media Center>First Rock & Roll concert you ever saw?
BigRedChief 01:33 AM 07-19-2020
Share whatever you want of the milestone

Oct. 2nd 1974. The New York Dolls and Lynyrd Skynyrd in Springfield, Missouri in what Was a bowling alley but I think it’s a Church now on Glenstone. Not too far from chestnut expressway. They both blew my mind. Opened up possibilities.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 01:55 PM 07-21-2020
FTR I hate Bon Blow Me.
Id rather listen to that beta band Nickel Back.
[Reply]
EPodolak 02:31 PM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
Indeed. I saw Zep in 1973? 74? And I still remember the ticket - $5.00. Saw Golden Earring in Germany in '80 - $4 Deutsche Marks (around $2.75 American at the time).
Concerts are such an event nowadays, knocks me out to think that back in the early days big time rock bands would do a matinee and then an evening show.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 02:55 PM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
My first concert was Van Halen at Kemper Arena in 1984.....
Yes! Remember it like it was yesterday.

[Reply]
eDave 03:58 PM 07-21-2020
How many concert stubs ya'll got?
[Reply]
Spott 04:16 PM 07-21-2020
My first two were Metallica with Queensryche in the winter of 88 and then Metallica with the Cult in the summer of 89 at Sandstone. Both were good but the summer concert was the best of the two.
[Reply]
Stryker 04:42 PM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
I had 2 very large frames with all of my tickets (approx 65 +) framed along with picks I had caught during the shows. Unfortunately, our home burned down on Christmas day 2011 so I lost those tickets as well as the 5 photo albums I had of concert pics from those concerts and all of my tour books. I also lost all of my Chiefs and LSU memorabilia. It was the worst day of my life but, we are still alive and have rebuilt our lives since that day. Fun fact, I actually collected everything Chiefs and LSU in 5 years - actually more than I had at that time.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 04:46 PM 07-21-2020
Ha. I posted the only one i have.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 05:11 PM 07-21-2020
First concert I ever heard was an early iteration of KANSAS at Topeka West High School. Would have been 1969 or 1970.

Two or three of the band members at that time were students or recent grads of TWHS. I was shooting baskets at a local grade school when we heard the booming sound of the music and followed it to the TWHS gym. Couldn't get in. Place was packed.

First concert was in Las Vegas at UNLV stadium to see ACE open for YES in June of 1975. We traveled to SDCA so my mom could settle an estate after a death. On the return trip, we stopped in Vegas for 2 days. My Mom loved the slots.

Anyway, I can still feel the desert breeze in my face as ACE opened with "How Long" (has this been going on?) and the vocals of Jon Anderson and Chris Squire of YES as the sun set over the desert.

Time marches on, but that memory is as vivid as the day it happened. .
[Reply]
siberian khatru 05:14 PM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:
First concert I ever heard was an early iteration of KANSAS at Topeka West High School. Would have been 1969 or 1970.

Two or three of the band members at that time were students or recent grads of TWHS. I was shooting baskets at a local grade school when we heard the booming sound of the music and followed it to the TWHS gym. Couldn't get in. Place was packed.

First concert was in Las Vegas at UNLV stadium to see ACE open for YES in June of 1975. We traveled to SDCA so my mom could settle an estate after a death. On the return trip, we stopped in Vegas for 2 days. My Mom loved the slots.

Anyway, I can still feel the desert breeze in my face as ACE opened with "How Long" (has this been going on?) and the vocals of Jon Anderson and Chris Squire of YES as the sun set over the desert.

http://www.forgotten-yesterdays.com/...0&qdateid=1059
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:22 PM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:
Damn! You got to see Paul Carrack, who has always been extremely underrated in America and Yes touring Tales From Topographic Oceans?

I'd never forget that night, either! That's freaking awesome!
[Reply]
siberian khatru 05:24 PM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Damn! You got to see Paul Carrack, who has always been extremely underrated in America and Yes touring Tales From Topographic Oceans?

They were touring Relayer with Moraz, but they did play one song from Tales.

Interestingly, the tour book includes two pages for Ace. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a support act get that kind of recognition.

http://www.forgotten-yesterdays.com/...d=27&qshowid=1
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 05:39 PM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
http://www.forgotten-yesterdays.com/...0&qdateid=1059
Sib Khat! Oh my gosh. Old friend, I'm glad you dug that link out. Truly, I was kinda worried I wasn't accurate. Was my last summer before starting HS in the fall.

Originally Posted by Dane:

Hi Dane! How are you holding up? I've thought about you and your family going through this crazy time.

Honestly, I had no idea what I was seeing at the time. I knew Ace by their hits, but even as a teen, I was fascinated by the sounds of YES. Still pull out the vinyl when feeling nostalgic.

But as I grew older I came to appreciate just how great Paul Carrack is. And I still have the original vinyl.
[Reply]
MatriculatingHank 06:27 PM 07-21-2020
I lost over half of the ones that I had. Still have over 50 or so.
Most of them list the price of $6.50 for the show.

I saw The Stones, The Who, Queen, Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath,
Rush,Aerosmith, Blue Oyster Cult, Kiss, ACDC, Boston, Kansas,
and MANY others in concert starting in 1975. Again, most of these
shows were $6.50 to $7.00 in cost.

Here's a FEW stubs that I located for now. I'll try to find more later...

[Reply]
Kman34 07:05 PM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Foreigner and Joe Walsh, 1985, the Scope in Norfolk.
I saw them that year too.. Foreigner would get a local choir in the city they are playing in to help them sing "I want to know what love is"...
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:05 PM 07-21-2020
Originally Posted by MatriculatingHank:
I was there also. Second time I saw Kiss in Memphis. Here's my ticket stub from that show:

Very cool! Some of mine survived the different eras. Had them put in a frame. Ozzy, Priest in their prime front row $10
Attached: 1F3A0C3D-29BE-4F50-A775-A93EA57D7799.jpg (125.2 KB) 
[Reply]
Page 6 of 13
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Up