ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 29
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Maryville teen allegedly raped by football player
Skyy God 10:13 AM 10-14-2013
And wasn't prosecuted (probably) because the rapist's family was politically connected. There's no excuse for at least statutory under the facts as presented. Also. dude should probably avoid saying rape-y things on social media if he's still within the statute of limitations.

Originally Posted by :
Here's a depressing story that will bring back memories of the Steubenville rape case. It begins with a 14-year-old drunk girl getting dumped on her porch by the high school football player who had just allegedly raped her, and it ends with her family being driven out of town by an unsupportive community.

A horrifying story out of Missouri: A mother was run out of a small town after her daughter blacked out at a party filled with older high school athletes and was left, with clear marks of rape, on the front lawn of her home in freezing weather.

The Kansas City Star details how the small town of Maryville turned against a newly-arrived family after 14-year-old Daisy Coleman reported that an older athlete had sex with her while another older male videotaped, after she was given an alcoholic drink at a party that left her barely able to stand. Her friend, a 13-year-old, was also made to have non-consensual sex.

After a thorough investigation by the local police however, clearly implicating 17-year-old Matthew Barnett in the sexual assault, charges were inexplicably dropped by the prosecuting attorney. Barnett, coincidentally, is the grandson of a prominent former Missouri state representative.

Star reporter Dugan Arnett writes,

Sexual assault cases can be difficult to build because of factors such as a lack of physical evidence or inconsistent statements by witnesses. But by the time his department had concluded its investigation, Sheriff Darren White felt confident the office had put together a case that would “absolutely” result in prosecutions.

“Within four hours, we had obtained a search warrant for the house and executed that,” White told The Star. “We had all of the suspects in custody and had audio/video confessions.

“I would defy the Kansas City, Missouri, Police Department to do what we did and get it wrapped up as nicely as we did in that amount of time.”

But no prosecutions ever came. The charges were dropped by the prosecuting attorney who didn't believe the evidence was strong enough. He dismissed any idea that political influence had anything to do with his decision.

In the meantime, the town had already begun to turn on the Coleman family. Threatening phone calls and online threats were directed at the family. Melinda Coleman had moved to the town with her four children after her husband, a physician, had died in a car accident. She was easily targeted by the community for being an outsider.
The parent of one of the teens at the Barnett house that night was the only one to comment briefly to The Star: “Our boys deserve an apology, and they haven’t gotten it yet.”

In a later interview, Rice [the prosecuting attorney] called it a case of “incorrigible teenagers” drinking alcohol and having sex. “They were doing what they wanted to do, and there weren’t any consequences. And it’s reprehensible. But is it criminal? No.”

Robert Sundell, who represented Barnett, echoed that sentiment: “Just because we don’t like the way teenagers act doesn’t necessarily make it a crime.”

After the charges were dropped, things just got worse for Melinda and Daisy Coleman. Daisy has struggled with depression and attempted suicide. Melinda had to move away from Maryville and back to the town she had lived in with her now-deceased husband. In April, the house in Maryville she still owned burned down under mysterious circumstances.

And Matthew Barnett, the young man accused by Coleman of raping her? He's attending the University of Central Missouri and apparently having a great time:

In a recent retweet, he expressed his views on women — and their desire for his sexual attentions — this way:

“If her name begins with A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z, she wants the D."
http://gawker.com/family-gets-driven...23656/@Tom_Ley
[Reply]
KC kid 09:54 PM 10-14-2013
Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma:
UCM is in a tough spot. Can you just expel a student for past charges that were dropped? Their hands are tied.
THIS.

First and foremost, this is a problem with the Maryville justice system.

UCM can't possibly hold trials for every student that comes through their doors. I am sure it is hard enough to filter and assess students with various small convictions, much less students that have a "clean" record.

Now that all this has come to light, it is obvious that this student needs to be suspended pending legal action. Keep in mind that UCM could put themselves in a legal dilemma if they suspend a student that has been found innocent. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 09:59 PM 10-14-2013
UCM is in a tough spot. Can you just expel a student for past charges that were dropped? Their hands are tied.
They are in a tough spot. They certainly could tell him to stay away if they feel he and his situation puts the safety of fellow students in jeopardy.
[Reply]
Valiant 10:22 PM 10-14-2013
Originally Posted by KC kid:
THIS.

UCM can't possibly hold trials for every student that comes through their doors. I am sure it is hard enough to filter and assess students with various small convictions, much less students that have a "clean" record.

Now that all this has come to light, it is obvious that this student needs to be suspended pending legal action. Keep in mind that UCM could put themselves in a legal dilemma if they suspend a student that has been found innocent. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
I am sure they will want to pull their kid out once he starts getting threats and harassed. Actually that might be a reason to get him off campus. It could become a security issue for the school.
[Reply]
Phobia 10:30 PM 10-14-2013
Originally Posted by KC kid:
THIS.

He wasn't found "innocent". The prosecutor decided not to press charges.
[Reply]
Oxford 10:53 PM 10-14-2013
Since the charges were dropped by the prosecutor... is there even evidence left to prosecute on? It is within his authority to decline to file a charge with the court.

Now the firebombing of the house is a different story. There has been no determination, but the publicity on this may push that investigation along
[Reply]
eDave 11:25 PM 10-14-2013
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Hmmm...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/a-g-restaurant-maryville
Ah A&G. Bringing back memories of their pizza. Cut in squares. When I had a little extra in my budget, which was rare.

Never led to rape though. When I went to school there, there was a significant divide between the NWMSU students and the rest of the community. We didn't want anything to do with them really.

Anyone here know Kimble?
[Reply]
Phobia 11:34 PM 10-14-2013
Originally Posted by Oxford:
Since the charges were dropped by the prosecutor... is there even evidence left to prosecute on? It is within his authority to decline to file a charge with the court.

Now the firebombing of the house is a different story. There has been no determination, but the publicity on this may push that investigation along
Dropped by the prosecutor isn't a finding either way. He just declined to prosecute for whatever reason. Those charges can be filed at any time within the statute of limitations.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 11:37 PM 10-14-2013
The amusing thing is, judging by people I've interacted from Maryville, they aren't smart enough to realize what anonymous is capable of doing and will keep poking an angry beehive with a spear set on fire.

This gonna be good.
[Reply]
Reaper16 12:09 AM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by eDave:
Ah A&G. Bringing back memories of their pizza. Cut in squares. When I had a little extra in my budget, which was rare.

Never led to rape though. When I went to school there, there was a significant divide between the NWMSU students and the rest of the community. We didn't want anything to do with them really.

Anyone here know Kimble?
Yup. Same when I was there.

Though why were you eating pizza at A&G and not Pagliai's?
[Reply]
KCUnited 05:22 AM 10-15-2013
Having grown up in a town with roughly the same demographic, nothing about this surprises me.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 05:39 AM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by Reaper16:
Yup. Same when I was there.

Though why were you eating pizza at A&G and not Pagliai's?
Pagliais was much better
[Reply]
Titty Meat 07:20 AM 10-15-2013
If Obama had a son he would look like the rapist
[Reply]
suzzer99 07:25 AM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Pagliais was much better
Weird there was a Pagliais in Kirksville too. Did they have runzas?

And yeah we were scared of and avoided the townies too.
[Reply]
Frosty 09:17 AM 10-15-2013
I'm curious about the 13 year old girl who was also raped at the same time as Daisy. She just sort of gets a side mention in these stories, even though the rapist admitted the whole thing. Did the charges also get dropped in that case? Did that boy also have political ties? Her situations seems as horrific as Daisy's (though maybe she didn't get dumped off in her yard afterward) but there is barely a mention of her.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:22 AM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Weird there was a Pagliais in Kirksville too. Did they have runzas?

And yeah we were scared of and avoided the townies too.
Yeah, Kirksville's has ronzas. Or whatever the fuck they're called now, since some asshole (who I hope burns in hell) threatened to sue them over the name. I still don't get how they could be threatened with a suit over a product they've sold for decades. Oh well. They still taste great. That's always the first thing I eat when I go back.

I never realized until a few years ago that Pagliai's was a chain.
[Reply]
kepp 10-15-2013, 09:33 AM
This message has been deleted by kepp. Reason: q
Page 8 of 29
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up