ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 61 of 82
« First < 11515758596061 6263646571 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Restaurants of yesteryear
Simply Red 08:33 PM 11-01-2006
What Restaurants did you grow up around? I'm not talking super fancy and yes fast-food counts. What distinctive memories do you associate with them?

Mine?

Taco Via-(the lit up menu of the various taco plates displayed on the wall), WhiteCastle-On a paper plate with fries and Pepsi, Arthur Treachers(off Noland), Tippins(off Noland), Perkins(the free toy well), Country Deli(awesome local deli to Blue Springs heated sandwiches on Sourdough buns), Zarda BBQ and Dairy, FunHouse Pizza(of Course)(Dark. Video- Games,Electonic Riding Bull and 25-cent Taco night) Annes Sante Fe.

Keep in mind I never see these anymore living in Georgia.

[Reply]
tooge 09:11 AM 10-12-2017
Does anyone remember the Waji on 18th street expressway in Roeland Park? Loved that place. I lived right behind it in school and ate there all the time.
[Reply]
Simply Red 09:11 AM 10-12-2017
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
That was such a fun place to work, their little bar at the one in Springfield, Il always had much more of real bar feel to it than you usually find in restaurants... people would cut loose in there all the time

Trivia I didnt know until recently - Chi-Chis was started and co-owned by Max McGee, the legendary Packers tight end
what happens when someone 'cuts loose?'

Please expand on this...
[Reply]
tooge 09:15 AM 10-12-2017
Here it is. Big juicy burgers.
Attached: waji.jpg (9.6 KB) 
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:26 AM 10-12-2017
Originally Posted by Simply Red:

Please expand on this...
Oh just get loud and silly, really... it was treated more like a stand alone bar, than a bar in a restaurant
[Reply]
Simply Red 09:27 AM 10-12-2017
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Oh just get loud and silly, really... it was treated more like a stand alone bar, than a bar in a restaurant
Fun! Got it.
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:28 AM 10-12-2017

Please expand on this...
Footloose, kick off the Sunday shoes
Please, Louise, pull me off of my knees
Jack, get back, come on before we crack
Lose your blues, everybody cut, everybody cut
Everybody cut, everybody cut
Everybody cut, everybody cut
Everybody, everybody cut footloose
[Reply]
srvy 09:41 AM 10-12-2017
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Confetti's? Sat at the top of the hill on Hickman Mills Dr. near 95th/Bannister.
That the place thanks man.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 10:05 AM 10-12-2017
Po Folks!!
[Reply]
Stewie 01:39 PM 10-12-2017
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
Sunday lunch with Mom at Myron Green's in Mission... Wofferman's in Fairway when $$$ allowed.
Schnitzels for lunch from Warners in Mission

Eddy's Loaf and Stein, Prairie Village

Mugs-Up 75th and Metcalf crap food, good root beer

Shakey's Pizza

Villa Capri

Pizza Queen
We ate at Pizza Queen all the time in our HS/College years. We were bummed when they closed. We contacted the granddaughter of the owner and she was thinking about reopening. She didn't have access to their pizza recipes, but thought she could make it happen. She said her grandfather kept his recipes close to the vest and that was the last we heard from her. Those recipes are out there somewhere if the old man would give them up.
[Reply]
Craash 02:17 PM 10-12-2017
What do you know about Whistler's Hamburgers, Carthage, Mo?
Funny, my mom used to work the griddle there, late 60's, maybe? I remember people waiting in the streets, packed in that little place trying to get a sack of their burgers. I think as a kid, I was as excited about the bag of candy they gave you as I was the burgers, but as I aged, I came around. Still open the last time I was down there, a year or so ago. Had a burger on the outside table next to the road. Pretty sure she still has some family contacts there. Still the same single grill. Actually, still the same manual cash register too, last time I was there.

If you knew Whistler's, you had to know Gettle's, right? Little further north opposite side of the road (west), out by that place that would buy walnuts from you? As a kid, my family and I would spend a morning picking up walnuts and then go there to sell them. We'd take the money and hit Gettles or Whistlers. Gettles shut down ages ago, but mid-late 70's I know they were open.

Taco Tico, in Carthage?
[Reply]
Simply Red 03:43 PM 10-12-2017
Originally Posted by Craash:
Funny, my mom used to work the griddle there, late 60's, maybe? I remember people waiting in the streets, packed in that little place trying to get a sack of their burgers. I think as a kid, I was as excited about the bag of candy they gave you as I was the burgers, but as I aged, I came around. Still open the last time I was down there, a year or so ago. Had a burger on the outside table next to the road. Pretty sure she still has some family contacts there. Still the same single grill. Actually, still the same manual cash register too, last time I was there.

If you knew Whistler's, you had to know Gettle's, right? Little further north opposite side of the road (west), out by that place that would buy walnuts from you? As a kid, my family and I would spend a morning picking up walnuts and then go there to sell them. We'd take the money and hit Gettles or Whistlers. Gettles shut down ages ago, but mid-late 70's I know they were open.

Taco Tico, in Carthage?
No never knew Gettles - interesting - Whislers was entering Carthage from the South If I recall - but yes; I've been to Taco Tico - but never in Carthage - they had them in KC for a while and believe it or not a small town in Tennessee had one (Taco Tico) in a gas station but closed up in 2015 it was in Joelton TN - even more ironic is, i'd stop by that TT while en route to KC. haha - small world

By the way - you sure you're not thinking of Taco Town in Carthage?? because if so; yes been there many o time. https://www.yelp.com/biz/taco-town-carthage
[Reply]
Craash 03:49 PM 10-12-2017
I actually preferred gettles, only becuase they had curly fries which were the bomb. Burger to burger, Whistler's ruled (nothing other than bagged chips at Whistlers). But the same type of small, greasy type burger. Heaven.

Taco Town is it, I think! It was the south side of town, out by the air port. East side of the road, if I recall. Walk up order window, with an overhang, not even sure if you could eat in there. They had something that, thinking back, was probably just a Mexican sloppy joe, but I loved it as a kid.

Ever hit Shotgun Sam's pizza in Neosho?

No never knew Gettles - interesting - Whislers was entering Carthage from the South If I recall - but yes; I've been to Taco Tico - but never in Carthage - they had them in KC for a while and believe it or not a small town in Tennessee had one (Taco Tico) in a gas station but closed up in 2015 it was in Joelton TN - even more ironic is, i'd stop by that TT while en route to KC. haha - small world

By the way - you sure you're not thinking of Taco Town in Carthage?? because if so; yes been there many o time. https://www.yelp.com/biz/taco-town-carthage

[Reply]
Simply Red 03:51 PM 10-12-2017
Originally Posted by Craash:
Taco Town is it, I think! It was the south side of town, out by the air port. East side of the road, if I recall. Walk up order window, with an overhang, not even sure if you could eat in there. They had something that, thinking back, was probably just a Mexican sloppy joe, but I loved it as a kid.

Ever hit Shotgun Sam's pizza in Neosho?
That's Taco-Town for sure - I always got the Taco Burger.

Never did try Shotgun Sams - always Mazzios :-)
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 05:11 PM 10-12-2017
Rax Roast Beef. Might of been an east coast only thing.
[Reply]
Dinny Bossa Nova 05:22 PM 10-12-2017
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
Rax Roast Beef. Might of been an east coast only thing.
OOOOOOOHHHHH!!!! Good one!!!!

They had them in central Illinois, too. Are they tits up now???

Dinny
[Reply]
Page 61 of 82
« First < 11515758596061 6263646571 > Last »
Up