ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Air conditioner question
Mecca 07:40 AM 04-18-2019
So this house I live in it has a really large vaulted ceiling through the living room which runs right through the middle of the house. Each side of the house isn't vaulted. On one side of that vault there is a loft room that sits over the top of the bedrooms basically.

In the summer even with central AC it gets hot as balls up there and the living room in general is by far the warmest room of the house.

Thinking about putting either a portable AC or a window unit in there to cool off that room and help the living room at least a bit.

Anyone have this experience or any advice, I'd appreciate it.
[Reply]
tooge 09:32 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by loochy:
Mecca:
LOL. Thats it. Thats the one.
[Reply]
Mecca 09:56 AM 04-18-2019
So what would anyone suggest on btu's?
[Reply]
oldman 10:05 AM 04-18-2019
Try this: https://m.wikihow.com/Calculate-BTU-Per-Square-Foot
[Reply]
Mecca 11:22 AM 04-18-2019
So I think my final question is, what works better a window unit or a portable one that you can just run the hose to the window?
[Reply]
BryanBusby 11:30 AM 04-18-2019
Have it slip on some ice while delivering pizzas

E: Portable units are poopy. Window if possible.
[Reply]
ghak99 11:40 AM 04-18-2019
Is it on the back of the house?

I'd go with a window unit and seal it in well. Then I'd support it as well as cover it from the elements so I don't have to fuck with it until it quits. Just don't let it ruin your window and frame with rain like a lot of people do.
[Reply]
neech 11:52 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I can't close a door either...you walk up the stairs and it's wide open to the living room just a railing...

If you guys aren't really understanding what it's like I can take a pic lol.

I can visualize what you are talking about I've been in similar types of homes, they are set up to be energy inefficient even with the best of insulation.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:52 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by ghak99:
Is it on the back of the house?

I'd go with a window unit and seal it in well. Then I'd support it as well as cover it from the elements so I don't have to fuck with it until it quits. Just don't let it ruin your window and frame with rain like a lot of people do.
It's on the side of my house about 20 feet in the air...
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 11:56 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by tooge:
:-). The guy was in his underwear. For some reason, whenever I read your posts now, I picture that. LOL
This is how I always picture Mecca
Attached: 47C708F6-748B-45EA-BE55-634726E1F3B6.jpeg (51.5 KB) 
[Reply]
neech 11:58 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by Oxford:
Built our house in 1996, original unit died in 2011. When we replaced it we had the AC companies look at the distribution of cold air returns in the house. We added two and the entire house was more consistent in temp. We also added non-powered turbine vents on the roof to help the attic ventilation

Sounds like the best solution but the most costly.

I'm thinking the window unit by be the best fix though it sounds like putting a Band-Aid on a knife wound.
[Reply]
TEX 12:23 PM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by neech:
Sounds like the best solution but the most costly.

I'm thinking the window unit by be the best fix though it sounds like putting a Band-Aid on a knife wound.
LOL! What??? It's more like putting a Band-Aid on a cut. It would be very effective, simple and rectify the problem.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:30 PM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by TEX:
LOL! What??? It's more like putting a Band-Aid on a cut. It would be very effective, simple and rectify the problem.
So you only went with a 6000 but and it does the job? My gf is convinced we need something way bigger than that.
[Reply]
TEX 12:32 PM 04-18-2019
So I think my final question is, what works better a window unit or a portable one that you can just run the hose to the window?
Both would work. It's whatever you prefer. I've tried both and went with the window unit. Once it's up it's done, it's out of the way, and it cools better. The only advantage of the portable one was that it was portable. One big disadvantage was condensation, as water will find a way to get on your floor / carpet when in use and/ or when moving after use.
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:37 PM 04-18-2019
So you only went with a 6000 but and it does the job? My gf is convinced we need something way bigger than that.
You just tell her to go make supper and let the man of the house make the decisions around here.
[Reply]
TEX 12:39 PM 04-18-2019
Yes. I went with 6000 BTU and it does the job. It's a simple one that only has two fan settings (Hi & Low). I usually just run it on Low Fan with the cooling temp set on setting 6 out of a possible 8, and it evenly cools the room. If you want a larger one, step up to 10,000. It's still small, but it's a big enough jump that you will notice a cooling difference in that it will take less time to cool the area initially and will cycle off more . I have a 10,000 BTU that cools my 25' X 25' garage. I use it when I work on my cars. That's probably the way you should go if you have any concerns about the unit's ability to cool the area. Plus, it will help your regular HVAC system cool downstairs even more than mine does. If you go 10,000 BTU, you won't have any issues at all. It's probably a bit more than you need, but in this case, more is better because it's not excessively more than needed.

Plus, IF your main HVAC unit ever goes out, you'll be glad you have the 10,000 BTU unit to tide you over till you get it fixed. I was very lucky to have one during Hurricane Harvey, as the main A/C got flooded. So, I moved the 10,00 BTU from the garage to the den and it was a real life-saver! (Houston in August is a KILLER with no A/C). My GF and I slept up in the loft with the 6,000 BTU A/C, and ran the 10,000 BTU downstairs. We were very comfortable.

Anyway, pics below of my setup - I think it's similar to yours. It may help.
Attached: 20190418_140220.jpg (53.4 KB) 20190418_140322 (2).jpg (72.7 KB) 20190418_140149.jpg (118.2 KB) 20190418_140129.jpg (56.3 KB) 
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up