ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Air conditioner question
Mecca 07:40 AM 04-18-2019
So this house I live in it has a really large vaulted ceiling through the living room which runs right through the middle of the house. Each side of the house isn't vaulted. On one side of that vault there is a loft room that sits over the top of the bedrooms basically.

In the summer even with central AC it gets hot as balls up there and the living room in general is by far the warmest room of the house.

Thinking about putting either a portable AC or a window unit in there to cool off that room and help the living room at least a bit.

Anyone have this experience or any advice, I'd appreciate it.
[Reply]
loochy 07:45 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
So this house I live in it has a really large vaulted ceiling through the living room which runs right through the middle of the house. Each side of the house isn't vaulted. On one side of that vault there is a loft room that sits over the top of the bedrooms basically.

In the summer even with central AC it gets hot as balls up there and the living room in general is by far the warmest room of the house.

Thinking about putting either a portable AC or a window unit in there to cool off that room and help the living room at least a bit.

Maybe re-route the duct to go AROUND the vaulted ceiling instead over the top of it, getting it farther away from the actual roof (the hottest area). Also look into changing that section of duct into a different material and / or insulate it better.
[Reply]
Mecca 07:48 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by loochy:
Maybe re-route the duct to go AROUND the vaulted ceiling instead over the top of it, getting it farther away from the actual roof (the hottest area). Also look into changing that section of duct into a different material and / or insulate it better.
The duct actually doesn't go over top of it. My house was built in the 90s so that helps with some of this stuff like the insulation is also really good as I thought the same thing.

I think the biggest issue is there is 1 vent in the whole room, probably thought they only needed 1 because it is completely open to the living room.
[Reply]
ptlyon 07:51 AM 04-18-2019
I think the biggest issue is there is 1 vent in the whole room, probably thought they only needed 1 because it is completely open to the living room.
You'd think it would be cold in the winter as well. Although that far south would make a difference in air temp compared to us northern states.
[Reply]
Mecca 07:53 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
You'd think it would be cold in the winter as well. Although that far south would make a difference in air temp compared to us northern states.
It actually doesn't really get that cold, but I prefer cold over heat so it may just be personal preference?

I use the room as my office and the last thing I want is my gaming PC sitting in a room that is 90 degrees as that is awful for motherboards etc.
[Reply]
loochy 07:57 AM 04-18-2019
How is your attic ventilation? If you go up there in the heat of the summer, you should feel a pretty good updraft (sucking air from the lower, side vents and up through the roof vents) that removes the hottest air.

Other than that, your unit may be a bit small for the house size or length of runs. But there's not a lot you can reasonably do about that right now.

How often do you use that upstairs room? If it's not often, I'd just opt for the window unit to use whenever you are up there. When not in use, keep the windows closed, use some good insulating blinds on the window, close the AC vent register, and put a draft stopper under the door. Don't let the heat from that room infect the rest of the house.

:-) I'm just brainstorming. This is not expert advice.

Edit: Well, I see that you use it as a computer room / office. I guess most of that advice is off the table then.
[Reply]
TEX 08:00 AM 04-18-2019

I had the exact situation. I bought, and installed, a small window unit (6000 BTU) and never looked back. It solved the problem upstairs and did in fact help cool the lower portion of the house. Comes in very handy in that I dont have to set the HVAC system set as low. Really saves on my electric bill. If I get outstanding results living in Houston, where it frequently gets over 100, Im sure your results will be as good or better.
[Reply]
Mecca 08:03 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by loochy:
How is your attic ventilation? If you go up there in the heat of the summer, you should feel a pretty good updraft (sucking air from the lower, side vents and up through the roof vents) that removes the hottest air.

Other than that, your unit may be a bit small for the house size or length of runs. But there's not a lot you can reasonably do about that right now.

How often do you use that upstairs room? If it's not often, I'd just opt for the window unit to use whenever you are up there. When not in use, keep the windows closed, use some good insulating blinds on the window, close the AC vent register, and put a draft stopper under the door. Don't let the heat from that room infect the rest of the house.

:-) I'm just brainstorming. This is not expert advice.

Edit: Well, I see that you use it as a computer room / office. I guess most of that advice is off the table then.
I can't close a door either...you walk up the stairs and it's wide open to the living room just a railing...

If you guys aren't really understanding what it's like I can take a pic lol.
[Reply]
Mecca 08:06 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by TEX:
I had the exact situation. I bought, and installed, a small window unit (6000 BTU) and never looked back. It solved the problem upstairs and did in fact help cool the lower portion of the house. Comes in very handy in that I dont have to set the HVAC system set as low. Really saves on my electric bill. If I get outstanding results living in Houston, where it frequently gets over 100, Im sure your results will be as good or better.
It was pretty brutal last year when we had the 100+ everyday June.

Honestly I'm 99% sure I'm going to buy an AC unit just trying to figure out if portable unit or window is a better buy.

And for the other comment about house size, I think that about the unit and the house. It has a brand new AC that was here when I moved in, a coleman. However this house is something like 2500 square feet, full finished basement and the ceiling and loft room...so yea.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:07 AM 04-18-2019
Windows with a lot of sun in the room? I have the same set up at my lakehouse but have 2 8' foot patio doors and 2 large trapezoid windows. I put non glare UV tint on them and it made a huge difference.
[Reply]
Mecca 08:08 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Windows with a lot of sun in the room? I have the same set up at my lakehouse but have 2 8' foot patio doors and 2 large trapezoid windows. I put non glare UV tint on them and it made a huge difference.
No I cover those mofos, every window in this house has blinds and curtains.
[Reply]
tooge 08:09 AM 04-18-2019
I thought you just layed around in your underwear surrounded by your guns. You can't be that hot just laying around in your underwear. Cut your hair and shave, that should help.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:10 AM 04-18-2019
No I cover those mofos, every window in this house has blinds and curtains.
I also have to ceiling fans one in the large living room vault and one in the loft the move the air.
[Reply]
Mecca 08:10 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by tooge:
I thought you just layed around in your underwear surrounded by your guns. You can't be that hot just laying around in your underwear. Cut your hair and shave, that should help.
I don't even own a gun are you sure you aren't confusing me for someone else?
[Reply]
TEX 08:11 AM 04-18-2019
I can't close a door either...you walk up the stairs and it's wide open to the living room just a railing...

If you guys aren't really understanding what it's like I can take a pic lol.
I completely understand. I have the exact setup. Walk up the stairs and I have a 16 × 22 loft with 3 sides comprised of walls with windows and one side just a half rail with pickets about 8 inches apart that extends the 22 ft length of the room. Below the rail is the dining and living room. Get the window unit and you'll see excellent results.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Up