ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Let's talk CB's
Couch-Potato 07:43 AM 03-27-2019
Kiper has us taking Greedy Williams in the 1st, who else is worth a look at CB in the early rounds?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/in...tions-rankings
[Reply]
kccrow 06:21 PM 04-12-2019
I kind of agree with Bubsy. There aren't a lot of CBs that look like day 1 starters in this draft. I think Murphy is one, but outside of him I don't see a CB that I'd say without a doubt should have a 1st round grade or be a day 1 starter. I see quite a few day 2 zone corners that could probably be #2 guys. Spags will run zone alot more than we've seen in KC of late so there's a chance they take those guys. I think Mullen is a man cover corner that could end up being a #1 but I'm not sure he is out the gate. I think he's an immediate starter though. Most of the guys that show #1 skill sets need to be coached up. I really like Isaiah Johnson, Amani Oruwariye, Sean Bunting, and Jamel Dean (if he can avoid further injuries) as guys with that size and athletic ability to be a #1 but I think they need some coaching up. Nik Needham is my sleeper guy in this draft. Outside of them I see alot of guys that are nickle or #2s. Unless Murphy somehow slips I'm probably not going CB in 1. I like a few safeties more so than the CBs in this draft if I'm going DB early, particularly Thornhill, Abram, and Gardner-Johnson.
[Reply]
Chargem 01:29 AM 04-13-2019
The Breeland acquisition was big because it means that corner isn't a pressing need like it was. Now you're just looking for a guy to compete with Ward for the 3rd spot initially
[Reply]
kccrow 01:33 AM 04-13-2019
Originally Posted by Chargem:
The Breeland acquisition was big because it means that corner isn't a pressing need like it was. Now you're just looking for a guy to compete with Ward for the 3rd spot initially
My opinion is it means they don't have to try and find a day 1 starter. They still need better than competition for the 3rd/4th spot, they need at least one corner that has the traits to be developed for 2020 as a starter which means they still need a day 2 player there.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 02:22 AM 04-13-2019
Originally Posted by Chargem:
Lol if you think corner isn't still a pressing need
[Reply]
OKchiefs 11:01 AM 04-13-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
No shit. Veach almost completely ignored corner last year and we have very little under contract beyond this season. I hope cornerback isn't like #2 TE where the position is ignored year after year. There will just be another excuse next year to avoid taking one.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:34 PM 04-13-2019
of course it is. It's a position in which we should always be drafting and developing.

But if we were to line up tomorrow and play a game, Breeland, Fuller, and Ward would be your top 3 corners. That's not a terribly dire situation.

The Safety situation is a little more sketchy, for instance.

Actually, WR is scary if Hill is gone. Watkins never plays a whole season. That leaves Demarcus Robinson as our #1 for a big chunk of the year.

I'm not saying I'm not taking a CB in the first 3 rounds, because I certainly would. There are several I like as eventual starters. probably not day one, maybe not season one, but certainly by season two.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 03:13 PM 04-13-2019
That Defense is going to continue to be owned if Breeland is your #1 corner.
[Reply]
staylor26 04:00 PM 04-13-2019
That Defense is going to continue to be owned if Breeland is your #1 corner.
Well Fuller is basically your #1 corner and I fully expect a career year in a contract year.

And Breeland/Ward/draft pick is much better than Nelson and Scandrick.
[Reply]
farmerchief 04:18 PM 04-13-2019
I think they would have to move up to get one of the 2-3 top rated corners. Id rather have them stay put, maybe get one of the better safetys in the first(Rapp,Gardner-Johnson,Abraham,Thornhill), and try to get a corner in the second round, such as (Layne,Oruwariye,Williams). Look for a D lineman also in the second. With what I am reading, seems like coverage is more important to Spags than edge rushers, so I would lean in that direction. Getting Safetys that have had some corner experience, makes them all the more flexible. It should be a fun draft, cant wait!
[Reply]
BryanBusby 04:42 PM 04-13-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Well Fuller is basically your #1 corner and I fully expect a career year in a contract year.

And Breeland/Ward/draft pick is much better than Nelson and Scandrick.
Woof
[Reply]
staylor26 05:09 PM 04-13-2019
Woof
It’s not?

How the fuck is that not clearly better?
[Reply]
BryanBusby 06:17 PM 04-13-2019
It’s not?

How the fuck is that not clearly better?
They still don't have a #1 corner. Fuller isn't a #1.
[Reply]
staylor26 07:45 PM 04-13-2019
They still don't have a #1 corner. Fuller isn't a #1.
I think you’re too fixated on this “#1 corner” thing.

If you have 3 solid to good guys, you’re fine. Peterson’s and Ramsey’s don’t grow on trees.

I mean sure, if we draft a guy in the first 2 rounds you hope he can develop into a guy that could be in that next tier, but if we just got 3 solid guys for next year, we’ll be better there.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 08:20 PM 04-13-2019
I think you’re too fixated on this “#1 corner” thing.

If you have 3 solid to good guys, you’re fine. Peterson’s and Ramsey’s don’t grow on trees.

I mean sure, if we draft a guy in the first 2 rounds you hope he can develop into a guy that could be in that next tier, but if we just got 3 solid guys for next year, we’ll be better there.
Ah, no. Bill Belichick doesn't break the checkbook out for Gilmore if he subscribed to your uh, theory.

It's a big deal that will be even bigger now that it's a 50-50 proposition if you touch a QB in a not favorable way, you're getting a PF.
[Reply]
staylor26 08:49 PM 04-13-2019
Ah, no. Bill Belichick doesn't break the checkbook out for Gilmore if he subscribed to your uh, theory.

It's a big deal that will be even bigger now that it's a 50-50 proposition if you touch a QB in a not favorable way, you're getting a PF.
Umm what? I’m not saying that you don’t go get one if you have the opportunity or that they’re not valuable.

I’m simply saying they don’t grow on trees and expecting the Chiefs to go from what we had last year to a guy like Gilmore with the FA’s and draft options that are available is very unrealistic.

If you don’t have one of those guys, you can shoot to have 3 solid to good ones and not be doomed like you’re suggesting.

Look at that Ravens D last year. They didn’t have a corner of that caliber. Perfect example that it can work.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up