ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 16
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Media Center>I have officially watched Tombstone
EyePod 12:10 PM 02-17-2009
Can I have my Man Card back now?

I enjoyed the movie overall. A little over-the-top, but still a good flick.

What I loved:

Val Kilmer's acting. I've never seen him act better. Good stuff.

When they first went after the Cowboys, and Earp (I think) jumped through the fucking window, and then killed all the Cowboys there. That was fucking sweet.

The things that really bothered me were:

The wasted shooting on horseback, especially when you couldn't see that they were shooting at anyone. Does this happen in most Westerns?

Kurt Russel's mustache. That was just ridiculous.

The end of the movie, where Wyatt doesn't have to worry about money ever again because his bitch's family is rich, and he's perfectly OK with just mooching and getting room service from her moneys.
[Reply]
DeezNutz 02:11 PM 02-17-2009
Originally Posted by BuckinKaeding:
$15.49 on Blu-Ray
$12.49 on DVD

What do you recommend?
Buying it.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:13 PM 02-17-2009
$15.49 on Blu-Ray
$12.49 on DVD

What do you recommend?
For three extra bucks, get it on blu-ray.

Seriously, this is one of the great movies of all time.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 02:18 PM 02-17-2009
BLONDIEEEEEEEEEE YOU SON OF A *GUNSHOT* AYE YAH YEAH!!!!! WAW WAW WAAAAAAAWWWW
[Reply]
Amnorix 02:21 PM 02-17-2009
Originally Posted by The Chief:
I gotta agree with you, Big Jake and The Cowboys are 2 of my favorite movies of all time.

I like Big Jake as fun and different.

I just can't love the Cowboys. It's a good movie, but it leaves me depressed, and I just can't quite wrap my head around a bunch of kids winning.

Generally The Searchers is my favorite, followed closely by The Unforgiven and Tombstone. After that, it's a bunch of John Wayne movies, with Rio Bravo, True Grit, and Rooster Cogburn mostly leading the way.

I'm not a huge fan of the Spaghetti Westerns, though I've no particular objection.
[Reply]
EyePod 02:23 PM 02-17-2009
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
I'm confused. The real Earp had a ridiculous moustache (by today's standards), so what do you expect?

If they had a movie about Hitler, do you expect him to be cleanshaven because nobody has that kind of moustache anymore either?
Again, I never said it shouldn't have been there. I just thought it was ridiculous. Maybe it's just that Kurt Russell doesn't look good with that much of a mustache. It looked fake, and I was constantly distracted by it.
[Reply]
Amnorix 02:24 PM 02-17-2009
$15.49 on Blu-Ray
$12.49 on DVD

What do you recommend?
I'm not that great at advanced tech stuff (hey, I was born in 1970, I don't know this shit), but I doubt a 1992 movie would make best use of advanced optical stuff, so I suspect the DVD is fine. It's not as if it used breakthrough technology or CGI or anything...
[Reply]
Nzoner 02:25 PM 02-17-2009
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
People want tombstone to be different, I'm sorry but it was a retelling of a real story, you can't just hollywood it up because you want things to be different
The movie Tombstone was very "hollywooded" up.Don't get me wrong I love the movie as well but for the best complete movie on Earp see Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner.
[Reply]
Amnorix 02:25 PM 02-17-2009
Originally Posted by EyePod:
Again, I never said it shouldn't have been there. I just thought it was ridiculous. Maybe it's just that Kurt Russell doesn't look good with that much of a mustache. It looked fake, and I was constantly distracted by it.
Ah, ok. It was accurate for the period, so I had no objection, but I could see where maybe it looked fake so it was a distraction.

Have you seen Unforgiven? There's no absurd facial hair in that one so maybe it will work out better for you. :-)
[Reply]
Amnorix 02:25 PM 02-17-2009
Originally Posted by Nzoner:
The movie Tombstone was very "hollywooded" up.Don't get me wrong I love the movie as well but for the best complete movie on Earp see Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner.
:-)

The only problem is that the movie sucks.
[Reply]
Nzoner 02:26 PM 02-17-2009
Originally Posted by frazod:
Meh. I'll take the Northfield raid in The Long Riders.

Great movie and you had to love the use of all the movie star brothers to play all the outlaw brothers.
[Reply]
Nzoner 02:27 PM 02-17-2009

To each their own.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:28 PM 02-17-2009

No it doesn't; it's just slower, more of a character study. Tombstone is a flat out action movie.
[Reply]
EyePod 02:30 PM 02-17-2009
I like Big Jake as fun and different.

I just can't love the Cowboys. It's a good movie, but it leaves me depressed, and I just can't quite wrap my head around a bunch of kids winning.

Generally The Searchers is my favorite, followed closely by The Unforgiven and Tombstone. After that, it's a bunch of John Wayne movies, with Rio Bravo, True Grit, and Rooster Cogburn mostly leading the way.

I'm not a huge fan of the Spaghetti Westerns, though I've no particular objection.
I still don't like Three Godfathers. I wish that wasn't my first western movie. You know what Western is my top though? Wild Wild West with Will Smith.... :-) I like big mechanical spiders in my westerns.... Seriously though, that movie was not good.
[Reply]
EyePod 02:31 PM 02-17-2009

I've heard that Wyatt Earp was a terrible movie.
[Reply]
Amnorix 02:31 PM 02-17-2009
Originally Posted by frazod:
No it doesn't; it's just slower, more of a character study. Tombstone is a flat out action movie.
It's boring. And I'm not fan of Costner so it started out with a strike against it already.

Dancing with Wolves was ok, but I've seen it exactly once, with no interest in a repeat performance. I feel the same about Wyatt Earp (I think that was the name of the movie).

And it's not like I can't appareciate a decent character study. The Searchers and The Shootist fall into that category also.

Maybe it's just Kevin Costner. Other than the Untouchables, I struggle to find a movie of his that I say more than "eh" to.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 16
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Up