ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 13
1 234511 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Pellet Grills
Buehler445 10:13 AM 05-08-2019
My old LP grill is to the point where it needs parts or needs to go. The wife is thinking a pellet grill might be better for her to use.

I thought there was a thread on here about them, but the one I could dig up is over a decade old.

What are you guys running these days? Pros/Cons?

I don't know much about anything except Traegers and people I know have had trouble with them.

I'd PROBABLY be leaving it outside so I'd need a cover for it.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 10:15 AM 05-08-2019
I got a Traeger during prime days last year. We really like it. Variety of cooking and smoking. However, it does take longer to heat up and isn't as convenient.
[Reply]
Dunit35 10:16 AM 05-08-2019
I have a Traeger. Works well, doesn’t get above 350 though. If you want sear marks you’re not getting it on a Traeger, at least on mine anyways. I’ve had it for five or so years, without any mechanical issues.

I will be glad when it dies though. I want a Yoder Pellet grill. Made in Hutchinson, KS. Expensive, can cold smoke, sear. It’s been a while since I’ve researched them so maybe they’ve changed in the quality department.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 10:25 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Dunit35:
I have a Traeger. Works well, doesn’t get above 350 though. If you want sear marks you’re not getting it on a Traeger, at least on mine anyways. I’ve had it for five or so years, without any mechanical issues.

I will be glad when it dies though. I want a Yoder Pellet grill. Made in Hutchinson, KS. Expensive, can cold smoke, sear. It’s been a while since I’ve researched them so maybe they’ve changed in the quality department.
Holy crap that is expensive.
[Reply]
notorious 10:41 AM 05-08-2019

I am about to blow your mind, Dunit. Look by the dial of your Traeger, there will be a little recessed “reset” button. Grab an ink pen or I use my thermometer, and push it. That sets the “p” number, which controls the speed at which your grill distributes pellets. Set that ****er to p-0 and you will get to around 460-475.
[Reply]
R Clark 12:27 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
I am about to blow your mind, Dunit. Look by the dial of your Traeger, there will be a little recessed “reset” button. Grab an ink pen or I use my thermometer, and push it. That sets the “p” number, which controls the speed at which your grill distributes pellets. Set that ****er to p-0 and you will get to around 460-475.
Thanks a lot for heads ! Mine gets hot enough to leave grill marks, but could use more heat.according to temp gauge it gets to 430 . Haven’t checked it to see if accurate or not
[Reply]
notorious 06:03 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by R Clark:
Thanks a lot for heads ! Mine gets hot enough to leave grill marks, but could use more heat.according to temp gauge it gets to 430 . Haven’t checked it to see if accurate or not
It works well the other way, too. Sometimes smoking just doesn’t want to go to the temp I want, so I’ll adjust it to a slower cycle.
[Reply]
Dunit35 01:45 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
Guess I’ll mess with it. I don’t care about a sear but I know some people do.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 02:02 PM 09-26-2019

We have a Traeger as well. I like it well enough but you are right about the 350. Now, on older models there is a way to boost the temp to around 500. If yours has it, there is a small (sort of) reset button on the control panel. Take a pen or pencil and hold that in for about 10 seconds and there you go. As I understand it, the newer models don't have that button any longer.
[Reply]
tomahawkchop25 10:18 AM 05-08-2019
I've had a Green Mountain for a couple of years and absolutely love it.
[Reply]
arrowheadnation 10:34 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by tomahawkchop25:
Yep. I have a Green Mountain Daniel Boone. Picked it over the Treager because it gets to 400 degrees. I have never had any issues with it in 3 years. I also bought a set of Grill Grates for mine...perfect grill lines. That being said, if I had the money, I would have bought a Yoder. Very high quality. Very expensive.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 10:53 AM 05-08-2019
I think Traegar's are alright, but not worth what you're spending. Have heard a lot of good things about rectec grills.

FIL has a GMG Daniel Boone with the wifi and really seems to still like it years later.
[Reply]
OmahaChief 11:34 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
I think Traegar's are alright, but not worth what you're spending. Have heard a lot of good things about rectec grills.

FIL has a GMG Daniel Boone with the wifi and really seems to still like it years later.
Love my GMG Daniel Boone. I have made some really good stuff in that bad boy. Consistent and easy to use if you don't have the time or want to tend to a stick burner.
[Reply]
RockChalk 12:09 PM 05-08-2019
This. GMG is far superior to Traeger. I can get mine up to 500, no problem, and their customer service is second to none. I messed up and let mine get soaked in a rainstorm, allowing the auger to get filled with wet pellets, which expanded and turn to cement (basically). I called them and they sent me a whole new auger unit with easy to install instructions.

Having used/owned both, I would recommend GMG over Traeger
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 10:23 AM 05-08-2019
Traegers rock. Make sure you cover them though as the pellets turn to concrete and destroy the grill.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 13
1 234511 > Last »
Up