ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Easter Mock 4/4/21
kccrow 11:37 AM 04-04-2021
1-16 | LT Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech (6'5" 322)
Kansas City trades 1-31, 4-144, 2022-1st to Arizona for 1-16.
As painful as it is, I see no way around the fact that KC needs to move up significantly in this draft to secure a left tackle that fits Andy Reid's scheme. The bulk of this class isn't a fit from length to athleticism to positional translation. I see Sewell (Bengals) and Slater (Chargers) coming off the board first before Darrisaw. I think the Vikings opt for a guard like Vera-Tucker and move Ezra Cleveland out to his natural position. KC could trade up using other picks, more likely a 2nd and 3rd in some combination, but I think for making the team better now, you look at trading a 1st next year instead. Darrisaw has prototypical size, height, arm length, and overall athleticism. While he needs some work on his pass-blocking technique, he was much improved in 2020 in that regard. Veach goes and gets what he needs, simple as that.

2-63 | WR Dyami Brown, North Carolina (6'1" 189)
Brown is a phenomenal deep ball receiver with plenty of route running acumen underneath to set up and ditch defenders. He's a near prototype for what you'd look for as an X in this offense with his ability to make defenders pay for the single coverages he should face regularly.

3-94 | DE Payton Turner, Houston (6'5" 270)
Turner is a solid LDE prospect in that he offers great get-off at the snap, good size, anchor, and decent bend on the edge with the strength to handle more powerful RTs. He has the ability to line up at multiple spots on the defensive line depending on the set (experience at DT), which Spags often does in racecar sets on 3rd and long. Turner's versatility should be a huge draw for the Chiefs.

4-136 | LB Derrick Barnes, Purdue (6'0" 238)
Barnes is a chess piece to deploy for Spagnuolo. He comes in as a twitched-up, highly energetic player with experience at the MIKE and as an EDGE. He has great range, speed, and the strength to hold up to and break down lineman. He could develop into an eventual MLB at the NFL level similar to Joe Schobert, and he comes in as a similar player. He probably cuts his teeth as a SAM prospect with a lot of utility work early on while he better learns playing as an off-ball linebacker.

5-175 | SS Joshua Bledsoe, Missouri (5'11" 201)
Bledsoe is a versatile safety that shows the ability to bump down in coverage on TEs and RBs while also being able to stick with WRs in man coverage. He's energetic and a solid tackler. While solid, he can sometimes overplay the run or his man and be left out of position.

5-181 | OL Royce Newman, Ole Miss (6'5" 310)
Newman is an athletic lineman with the ability to play every spot on the offensive line. He has solid pass pro skills with the ability to lock on and stay on his block and plus mirroring. He also has the ability to get out into space and stick blocks at the second level. The plus is, he's big, nasty, and sports a mullet and goatee. All he needs now is a Camaro and some BBQ and he'll fit right in.

6-207 | RB Rakeem Boyd, Arkansas (5'11" 213)
Boyd is a physical runner and solid receiver out of the backfield with some juice that should go much higher if all were based on talent alone. His academic issues are definitely going to cause him to slide as teams may be less inclined to think he can pick up the playbook. There isn't a lot of pressure here in KC for him to start and can take some time developing while contributing in a short-yardage role early.

Roster
QB: P. Mahomes, C. Henne
RB: C. Edwards-Helaire, Dar. Williams, R. Boyd

WR: T. Hill, D. Robinson, D. Brown, M. Hardman, B. Pringle, A. Calloway
TE: T. Kelce, N. Keizer, B. Bell

LT: C. Darrisaw, M. Rankin, P. Tega Wanogho
LG: J. Thuney, N. Allegretti
OC: A. Blythe, R. Newman
RG: L. Duvernay-Tardif, K. Long, Y. Durant
RT: M. Remmers, L. Niang

DE: F. Clark, M. Danna
DT: C. Jones, T. Wharton
DT: D. Nnadi, J. Reed, K. Saunders
DE: T. Charlton, P. Turner

SLB: W. Gay, D. Harris
ILB: A. Hitchens, D. Barnes, E. Smith
WLB: B. Niemann, D. O'Daniel

CB: C. Ward, L. Sneed, R. Fenton, T. Keyes, D. Baker
S: T. Mathieu, J. Thornhill, D. Sorensen, J. Bledsoe, A. Watts

K: Butker
P: Townsend
LS: Winchester
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:50 AM 04-04-2021
No TE2? That sucks.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 01:24 PM 04-04-2021
If the Chiefs do indeed sign a short-term vet to play OT, there is no way they trade up that high sacrificing a future 1st with the depth of this class.
And no offense, but the Cards need picks this year. They have no picks in rounds 3,4 and only 6 total. A 2022 1st is too generous to move up to a high teens draft slot. Reeks of desperation, and I don’t think the Chiefs are in that mode.

I’m actually becoming more convinced the first selection by the Chiefs will be receiver, edge, or linebacker.
[Reply]
kccrow 01:43 PM 04-04-2021
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
If the Chiefs do indeed sign a short-term vet to play OT, there is no way they trade up that high sacrificing a future 1st with the depth of this class.
And no offense, but the Cards need picks this year. They have no picks in rounds 3,4 and only 6 total. A 2022 1st is too generous to move up to a high teens draft slot. Reeks of desperation, and I don’t think the Chiefs are in that mode.

I’m actually becoming more convinced the first selection by the Chiefs will be receiver, edge, or linebacker.
Originally had it slotted as a 3rd this year and 2nd next.

I'd rather give up the first than give up the day 2 pick this year. KC needs 3 pieces badly in WR2 and DE to go with LT.

As for OT, you won't see a mock from me that doesn't have the Chiefs trading up significantly unless they sign or trade for a veteran before the draft. Those that think there are starting LTs available late into this draft are fooling themselves in my opinion. There aren't that many of them in the class. Alot of RTs and OGs, not LTs.
[Reply]
kccrow 01:47 PM 04-04-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
No TE2? That sucks.
I'd rather spend a day 2 pick on other resources. If one fell in the 4th, maybe a different story. I don't find many after Hunter and Tremble to be all that appealing over Bell and Keizer to be honest. Alot of meh.
[Reply]
kccrow 01:50 PM 04-04-2021
BTW guys... My preference in the draft was Joe Tryon. Still is. I think that kid is going to be a player. That said, I can't get past LT. It's far too great a need. You simply cannot go into 2021 with a 4th round caliber player and nobody else. And frankly, that's what most are clamoring for of late.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:53 PM 04-04-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
BTW guys... My preference in the draft was Joe Tryon. Still is. I think that kid is going to be a player. That said, I can't get past LT. It's far too great a need. You simply cannot go into 2021 with a 4th round caliber player and nobody else. And frankly, that's what most are clamoring for of late.
Show me the posts that want a 4th round LT prospect and then NOTHING ELSE at that position.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 01:58 PM 04-04-2021
My gut tells me we gotta sign a LT before draft day if we want to trade up for one. Otherwise, we're going to pay through the nose to move up.
[Reply]
kccrow 02:16 PM 04-04-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Show me the posts that want a 4th round LT prospect and then NOTHING ELSE at that position.
I seem to remember quite a few of you wanting Stone Forsythe, yourself included. He's a 4th rounder at best from a talent standpoint. Maybe he gets picked earlier than that, maybe not.

He's got some of the shittiest feet for a tackle in this class, struggles with speed, can't run block, and isn't the type of guy that can pull out into space like Reid normally likes. He's the hope? I think he can be developed. I think even after that he has limitations physically. But to think he's a 1st or 2nd rounder that can come in and be the guy? I don't know about that.

There isn't much else man, which is what I mean about NOTHING ELSE. There's no free agent signing yet. If it happens, I'll change my tune. Even then though, you're getting a guy like Okung that is healthy 10 games a year. With him, you're probably hoping you can sign Fisher back midway through the season on top of it because you'll need boht.

Until then, this team needs a LT.
[Reply]
golfindude 03:09 PM 04-04-2021
Don't we absolutely have to draft a quality OT. I mean, we need to keep PM healthy if we're going to have a good season/future. If we pick one in the first round, we might as well go all in to get the best we can, even if we have to trade up. . I've done several mocks picking a WR or EDGE first but had to trade up to get the ND OT in the 2nd. And that would be very risky in the real draft. That position is so important it might be smart to pick 2 OT's if there's one in the lower rounds the coaches can develope. I'm sure Chiefs have a plan but it fun to speculate.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 05:26 PM 04-04-2021
Honestly I trust Veach. Doing the online mock drafts I don't like the oline that fall to 31 so if he feels like there is a guy ready to start day 1 then use whatever he needs to and go get him.
[Reply]
kccrow 06:51 PM 04-04-2021
Originally Posted by golfindude:
Don't we absolutely have to draft a quality OT. I mean, we need to keep PM healthy if we're going to have a good season/future. If we pick one in the first round, we might as well go all in to get the best we can, even if we have to trade up. . I've done several mocks picking a WR or EDGE first but had to trade up to get the ND OT in the 2nd. And that would be very risky in the real draft. That position is so important it might be smart to pick 2 OT's if there's one in the lower rounds the coaches can develope. I'm sure Chiefs have a plan but it fun to speculate.

That's kind of where I'm at and agree with Tamba as well.

LT is not just a position you can be like "alright let's just throw a guy out there." The LT position to me, and I'd wager most coaches and GMs around the NFL, is the single most important position on the team after QB. That's why teams spend top-20 picks to get them. The only time teams don't spend that kind of capital to get one is when there is an incumbent there and they expect to have a season or two to take a flyer on a later guy that can be developed (a la guys like Stone Forsythe).

KC isn't in a position to just hope a guy falls in the draft, especially when there are only a few legit LT prospects in it. Everyone looks at the sheer quantity of tackles but we've debated and looked at most all of them and there seems to be an overwhelming consensus that they are primarily RTs or guards in the NFL. Most just don't have the athleticism, quick feet, and so on to hold up on the left side.

This brings me to the one caveat here on a metric that often dictates a drive to the IOL from tackle: arm length. Most teams like their LTs to have at least 34" arms and RTs to have at least 33" arms. Now, time has proven there are exceptions. Joe Thomas had 32-1/2" arms. Jake Long came in with 32-7/8" arms. Jason Peters with 33-1/4" arms. Jordan Gross at 33-1/4"s. The list goes on. Arm length is not the end-all-be-all for a LT, but he better be technically sound and have outstanding feet and lateral athleticism. This is why I think Rashawn Slater will not only be a LT but an All-Pro caliber LT. Sam Cosmi is likely a top-25 selection because he has athleticism to play LT and 33" arms. That said, it usually matters.

What I can't get past is not arm length, it's marginal athleticism and bad food quickness, especially in conjunction with shorter arms. Will a guy like Liam Eichenberg play LT in the NFL? Probably not, sporting marginal athleticism to go with sub-33" arms, but he'll more than likely be a really good RT or be moved inside where he'll have to quicken his sets. I think the same about Teven Jenkins, who doesn't have elite foot quickness and lateral agility to go along with 33-1/2" arms. I think he remains an NFL RT. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, or at least the expectation that these guys have a low probably of being LTs in the NFL. They can be exceptional RTs and there is a premium on them as well. Just because they may be 1st round caliber does not mean they are a LT. Marginal athleticism and poor feet are the reasons I don't see a guy like Stone Forsythe being a good fit at LT.

I think if there were a guy I'd take a shot on in the mid rounds, it's Spencer Brown out of Northern Iowa. He reminds me quite a bit of Nate Solder. He's extra tall, which can be a terrible thing, but he also has extremely good feet and quickness. If he can ensure he keeps his knees bent and doesn't lunge, he has everything you want to make that conversion from RT to LT. Those types though, are really rare.

I fully understand the people that are like "we don't need to move up" even if I don't portray it. That's coming from the understanding that Veach still goes out and signs a guy like Okung to a 1-year deal. In fact, Okung is really the only guy left out there to do it. If Veach does that, it opens the door up to snag a guy later and hope he develops. If not, I don't see much value at LT outside of Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, Cosmi, and Radunz, and I really don't think Radunz is a day 1 starter. I question if Cosmi is to some extent.
[Reply]
poolboy 07:05 PM 04-04-2021
Cbs are kinda thin in that mock draft
[Reply]
Hoover 07:49 PM 04-04-2021
That's kind of where I'm at and agree with Tamba as well.

LT is not just a position you can be like "alright let's just throw a guy out there." The LT position to me, and I'd wager most coaches and GMs around the NFL, is the single most important position on the team after QB. That's why teams spend top-20 picks to get them. The only time teams don't spend that kind of capital to get one is when there is an incumbent there and they expect to have a season or two to take a flyer on a later guy that can be developed (a la guys like Stone Forsythe).

KC isn't in a position to just hope a guy falls in the draft, especially when there are only a few legit LT prospects in it. Everyone looks at the sheer quantity of tackles but we've debated and looked at most all of them and there seems to be an overwhelming consensus that they are primarily RTs or guards in the NFL. Most just don't have the athleticism, quick feet, and so on to hold up on the left side.

This brings me to the one caveat here on a metric that often dictates a drive to the IOL from tackle: arm length. Most teams like their LTs to have at least 34" arms and RTs to have at least 33" arms. Now, time has proven there are exceptions. Joe Thomas had 32-1/2" arms. Jake Long came in with 32-7/8" arms. Jason Peters with 33-1/4" arms. Jordan Gross at 33-1/4"s. The list goes on. Arm length is not the end-all-be-all for a LT, but he better be technically sound and have outstanding feet and lateral athleticism. This is why I think Rashawn Slater will not only be a LT but an All-Pro caliber LT. Sam Cosmi is likely a top-25 selection because he has athleticism to play LT and 33" arms. That said, it usually matters.

What I can't get past is not arm length, it's marginal athleticism and bad food quickness, especially in conjunction with shorter arms. Will a guy like Liam Eichenberg play LT in the NFL? Probably not, sporting marginal athleticism to go with sub-33" arms, but he'll more than likely be a really good RT or be moved inside where he'll have to quicken his sets. I think the same about Teven Jenkins, who doesn't have elite foot quickness and lateral agility to go along with 33-1/2" arms. I think he remains an NFL RT. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, or at least the expectation that these guys have a low probably of being LTs in the NFL. They can be exceptional RTs and there is a premium on them as well. Just because they may be 1st round caliber does not mean they are a LT. Marginal athleticism and poor feet are the reasons I don't see a guy like Stone Forsythe being a good fit at LT.

I think if there were a guy I'd take a shot on in the mid rounds, it's Spencer Brown out of Northern Iowa. He reminds me quite a bit of Nate Solder. He's extra tall, which can be a terrible thing, but he also has extremely good feet and quickness. If he can ensure he keeps his knees bent and doesn't lunge, he has everything you want to make that conversion from RT to LT. Those types though, are really rare.

I fully understand the people that are like "we don't need to move up" even if I don't portray it. That's coming from the understanding that Veach still goes out and signs a guy like Okung to a 1-year deal. In fact, Okung is really the only guy left out there to do it. If Veach does that, it opens the door up to snag a guy later and hope he develops. If not, I don't see much value at LT outside of Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, Cosmi, and Radunz, and I really don't think Radunz is a day 1 starter. I question if Cosmi is to some extent.
It why some of us think Niang is the LT
[Reply]
kcbubb 08:10 PM 04-04-2021

Excellent analysis and that’s why I like the planet. I disagree with the outcome but the analysis is excellent. I’d rather watch fisher and see how his rehab is going and if he’s showing good signs, resign and focus our draft picks at other positions. If we have to patch together a line until he gets back, so be it but we’ve got a lot of holes and we don’t win Super Bowls without filling those holes.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Up