ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 19
< 123 456713 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Do you own an Electric car or plan to buy one
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:14 PM 02-17-2021
I plan to get one in the future, what are your plans?

If so what are your pluses or minuses ?
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:21 PM 02-17-2021
If I can get one bought equitably I’d like to have a semi. That would work pretty well on my sprayer trailer.

Pickups have a ways to go before they’re close but I wouldn’t mind one of those either.

For the wife’s car, I have no idea what she’d be up for.

Originally Posted by BWillie:
There is no reason to expect an ICE motor to be more reliable than an electric motor.
You realize there are a ton of other components besides the motors right?
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 05:41 PM 02-17-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I did a study a while back on issues related to electric vehicle adoption, and the client had a list of benefits to explore. I hadn't thought about this, but apparently electric vehicles have much less lifetime maintenance since their engines are so simple. That really made me think about getting one in the future.

Of course, I don't have a car at all right now, so I'm not exactly a good market.
Yup, there are theories that GM tanked their EVs in the 80s because big auto makes lots of money on repairs. Its also a much more practical vehicle for driverless. My guess is it'll take a while for individuals to own EVs at scale. But public transportation, commercial, lyft will scale substantially. With that will come tons of charging stations which is a pretty big obstacle to growth.

It'll take a lot to get me to own one. But I'd love for it to be a significant part of transportation soon. You bet your ass I'd love to have more options when I'm drunk off my ass and need a ride home.
[Reply]
J Diddy 06:11 PM 02-17-2021
There's like 3 people at my work who have them. They freak me out.
[Reply]
stevieray 06:19 PM 02-17-2021
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
I like cars & motorcycles that go vrooom.
just a lil' add on.
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:26 PM 02-17-2021
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Yup, there are theories that GM tanked their EVs in the 80s because big auto makes lots of money on repairs. Its also a much more practical vehicle for driverless. My guess is it'll take a while for individuals to own EVs at scale. But public transportation, commercial, lyft will scale substantially. With that will come tons of charging stations which is a pretty big obstacle to growth.

It'll take a lot to get me to own one. But I'd love for it to be a significant part of transportation soon. You bet your ass I'd love to have more options when I'm drunk off my ass and need a ride home.

For people like me who live in the middle of cities, I'm thinking that driverless cars will eventually obviate my need to own a car at all. I'll just step outside my door, whistle like a cowboy calling his horse, and a car will show up. Driverless cabs will be prowling around everywhere and it'll be cheaper and easier to use them than to own a car.
[Reply]
J Diddy 06:42 PM 02-17-2021
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
I like cars that go vrooom.
You can make it sound like a motorcycle if you have some baseball cards to put in the spokes.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:55 PM 02-17-2021
Need that range to increase and charging time to decrease to consider one.
[Reply]
philfree 06:59 PM 02-17-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
For people like me who live in the middle of cities, I'm thinking that driverless cars will eventually obviate my need to own a car at all. I'll just step outside my door, whistle like a cowboy calling his horse, and a car will show up. Driverless cabs will be prowling around everywhere and it'll be cheaper and easier to use them than to own a car.
[IMG][/IMG]
[Reply]
Dayze 07:23 PM 02-17-2021
No. and No.

They'll likely never get to the price point where I would spend. At least not without having a bazillion miles. I'm more of a buy a car for 5k with below average miles, and drive it until it drops kind of guy. No idea what an electric car would cost; but I'm assuming waaaay more than I'd spend on a vehicle (gas or electric). and if I did lose my mind and drop 35K+ on a car, it would be on something cool.

not sure what the math would be to recover your cost by not having to buy gasoline. I would imagine it would take 20+ years or more.
[Reply]
TribalElder 07:38 PM 02-17-2021
no way
[Reply]
Munson 07:40 PM 02-17-2021
No. And maybe.

I currently drive a Prius hybrid. Its the best of both worlds with an internal combustion engine and an electric motor. It may be ugly as hell, but you can't argue with 50+ MPG.

As I see it, EV's have 3 major problems: low range, and lack of charging stations, and the time it takes for a full charge. Once those problems get solved I'll consider getting one, but I imagine that won't be for another decade.
[Reply]
TribalElder 07:40 PM 02-17-2021
Also aren't tesla's kind of a piece of shit when it comes to quality

seems like they have had some bad recalls and stupid shit like where puddles would rip off the entire back bumper

just trash all the way around

I totally expect the tesla fans to swoop in and go all elon on me now
[Reply]
DaFace 07:51 PM 02-17-2021
My wife drives a Nissan Leaf. Even for a cheapo EV, it's a hell of a lot of fun to drive. Range is limited, but it's great for just driving around the city. We pretty much use it any time we can. The maintenance is basically nothing but tires, windshield wipers, and air filters, and it's nice to never need gas.

I still don't think I'd recommend an EV as the ONLY car in a household, though - at least not unless you never do road trips. We use my Outback for mountain trips and road trips, and having the EV and the ICE as options works great. I know you can technically stop every couple of hours and charge, but it just seems damn inconvenient - especially since my most common road trip is I-70 in western Kansas.

I am looking into a Toyota RAV4 Prime (plug-in hybrid) as a possible next option. 42 miles of EV range (to cover my daily commute) but a gas engine to make it work on road trips seems like a decent compromise.
[Reply]
DaFace 07:53 PM 02-17-2021
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
Also aren't tesla's kind of a piece of shit when it comes to quality

seems like they have had some bad recalls and stupid shit like where puddles would rip off the entire back bumper

just trash all the way around

I totally expect the tesla fans to swoop in and go all elon on me now
There's truth to it, yes, but Tesla still has some of the highest satisfaction ratings in the industry. People care less about having a joint that's not perfect when the car is amazing to drive.
[Reply]
ClevelandBronco 07:59 PM 02-17-2021
I wouldn’t rule out an EV. Show me a track record of being able to get 20 years of use with only minor maintenance expenses and I’d consider it. I know I can get at least that much out of a gasoline engine. Also, I wouldn’t be inclined to pay any premium at all for an EV at point of purchase.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 19
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up