ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 26
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Cast Iron Skillets. You dig them?
Dayze 01:30 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by sedated:
I’ve had my cast iron for a few months, but its been kind of a pain in the ass. After every use I have to scrub the thing with water and paper towel (leaving bits of paper towel all over), then rub the whole thing down with oil, wipe off the excess oil, and put it in a hot oven. Maybe it’s the weight of the thing, but non-stick just seems easier (leave it soaking in soapy water, then wipe it out and rinse off). I wonder if I’m doing something wrong.

Oh, and I’ve heard using walnut oil is better for cast iron because it doesn’t get rancid like vegetable oil can.
I usually rinse with hot water, get all the food etc off, the dry with a regular towel. then I put it back on the burner just to get it warm; then I apply a small amount of crisco all around inside it with a paper towel; then cool.
[Reply]
WV 01:40 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by sedated:
Oh, and I’ve heard using walnut oil is better for cast iron because it doesn’t get rancid like vegetable oil can.
Your not using it enough if your vegetable oil is getting rancid. I've never had an issue using Vegetable or Canola oil as my after dry wipe down.
[Reply]
Alton deFlat 01:31 PM 11-08-2011
I have 8" and 12" cast skillets. Love those things. I don't use them every day, but they are irreplaceable. I also have a 6 quart cast iron dutch oven. It's an enameled one, and it is amazing for soups and stews. I use the hell outta that thing...... especially in the fall and winter.
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:32 PM 11-08-2011
Still can't beat a good horseradish sauce, though.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 01:35 PM 11-08-2011
If you really want to know whats what in CI..http://www.wag-society.org/
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:42 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
If you really want to know whats what in CI..http://www.wag-society.org/
It's made from monkey cum, you know.

[Reply]
RockChalk 01:38 PM 11-08-2011
Used mine to cook a couple of filets last night. Delicious as always.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 02:30 PM 11-08-2011
I have some cast iron skillets my Dad gave me when my grandmother passed away. Love cooking on them, but they could probably stand to be stripped and re-seasoned. May have to get some flaxseed oil! Thanks Firemeboy for posting that.
[Reply]
HemiEd 02:50 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy:
I have some cast iron skillets my Dad gave me when my grandmother passed away. Love cooking on them, but they could probably stand to be stripped and re-seasoned. May have to get some flaxseed oil! Thanks Firemeboy for posting that.
Yeah, once again I feel pretty stupid. We have had the same big old cast iron skillet for 40+ years and only use it for frying chicken. We knew nothing about the seasoning or proper cleaning until this thread.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 02:39 PM 11-08-2011
I use them, but not very often as I am lazy and like to throw shit in the dishwasher. But they are pretty bomb. I mainly use them camping...
[Reply]
Johnny Vegas 03:16 PM 11-08-2011
can I season with just bacon? cook the bacon wipe and repeat?
[Reply]
mlyonsd 03:20 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas:
My grandfather always popped popcorn using bacon grease and a black iron skillet. It's actually pretty good.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 03:23 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas:
yep. pretty much what I have done with mine, and I am satisfied.....although the flaxseed method above supposedly gets you better results (less spotting and rusting apparently, although I dont get much with bacon/veg oil)
[Reply]
Johnny Vegas 03:24 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
My grandfather always popped popcorn using bacon grease and a black iron skillet. It's actually pretty good.
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
yep. pretty much what I have done with mine, and I am satisfied.....although the flaxseed method above supposedly gets you better results (less spotting and rusting apparently, although I dont get much with bacon/veg oil)
awesome! :-) :-)
[Reply]
mlyonsd 03:18 PM 11-08-2011
For burgers, first sprinkle salt in the skillet, the heat until it is searing hot before adding the meat. Supposed to keep the meat from sticking. That's the way I do it anyway.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 26
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up