ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2080 of 3903
« First < 1080158019802030207020762077207820792080 208120822083208420902130218025803080 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 07:36 PM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Bad idea.
So is spending $100 on 2 dumbbells that don't have the name SoloFlex on the side of them.

Just be sure to take a selfie with you holding both of them and we can meme it to be the 3 Dumbbells.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:43 PM 05-15-2020
I love the gym. They just opened here.

I’m not going back yet. And when I do it will be the small 5 am crowd and that’s it.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:43 PM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
For the, "COVID deaths are overreported," crowd:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2766121

As of early May 2020, approximately 65 000 people in the US had died of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19),1 the disease caused by the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). This number appears to be similar to the estimated number of seasonal influenza deaths reported annually by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

The root of such incorrect comparisons may be a knowledge gap regarding how seasonal influenza and COVID-19 data are publicly reported. The CDC, like many similar disease control agencies around the world, presents seasonal influenza morbidity and mortality not as raw counts but as calculated estimates based on submitted International Classification of Diseases codes.2 Between 2013-2014 and 2018-2019, the reported yearly estimated influenza deaths ranged from 23 000 to 61 000.3 Over that same time period, however, the number of counted influenza deaths was between 3448 and 15 620 yearly.4 On average, the CDC estimates of deaths attributed to influenza were nearly 6 times greater than its reported counted numbers. Conversely, COVID-19 fatalities are at present being counted and reported directly, not estimated. As a result, the more valid comparison would be to compare weekly counts of COVID-19 deaths to weekly counts of seasonal influenza deaths.

During the week ending April 21, 2020, 15 455 COVID-19 counted deaths were reported in the US.5 The reported number of counted deaths from the previous week, ending April 14, was 14 478. By contrast, according to the CDC, counted deaths during the peak week of the influenza seasons from 2013-2014 to 2019-2020 ranged from 351 (2015-2016, week 11 of 2016) to 1626 (2017-2018, week 3 of 2018).6 The mean number of counted deaths during the peak week of influenza seasons from 2013-2020 was 752.4 (95% CI, 558.8-946.1).7 These statistics on counted deaths suggest that the number of COVID-19 deaths for the week ending April 21 was 9.5-fold to 44.1-fold greater than the peak week of counted influenza deaths during the past 7 influenza seasons in the US, with a 20.5-fold mean increase (95% CI, 16.3-27.7).5,6

The ratios we present are more clinically consistent with frontline conditions than ratios that compare COVID-19 fatality counts and estimated seasonal influenza deaths. Based on the figure of approximately 60 000 COVID-19 deaths in the US as of the end of April 2020, this ratio suggests only a 1.0-fold to 2.6-fold change from the CDC-estimated seasonal influenza deaths calculated during the previous 7 full seasons.3 From our analysis, we infer that either the CDC’s annual estimates substantially overstate the actual number of deaths caused by influenza or that the current number of COVID-19 counted deaths substantially understates the actual number of deaths caused by SARS-CoV-2, or both.
Just offering a counter argument that seemed to be ironically timed with your post...

Originally Posted by :
CORONAVIRUSPublished 8 hours ago
As US coronavirus death toll mounts, so does the belief by some that it is exaggerated

There’s a reason why some people believe government officials are exaggerating the number of COVID-19 fatalities.

One problem is the hodgepodge way states tally those numbers, Fox News has found.

Some states count presumed coronavirus deaths along with confirmed cases under Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance issued last month. Other states don’t count those deaths.

Deaths have been classified as a COVID-19 death even after a physician or loved ones reported otherwise. And those who died “with" COVID-19 have been included in the count with those who died “of" COVID-19.

“I think a lot of clinicians are putting that condition (COVID-19) on death certificates when it might not be accurate because they died with coronavirus and not of coronavirus,” Macomb County, Mich., Chief Medical Examiner Daniel Spitz in an interview with the Ann Arbor News last month.

“Are they entirely accurate? No,” Spitz said. “Are people dying of it? Absolutely. Are people dying of other things and coronavirus is maybe getting credit? Yeah, probably.”

The doctor also said he believes there are people who died of COVID-19, but weren't counted. Determining a COVID-19 death is based on each doctor's best clinical impression and that varies, he said.

“There’s no uniformity,” he said.

The debate over whether the COVID-19 death count has been exaggerated has intensified as deaths from the virus continue to rise at a steady and alarming rate.

As of Friday, there were 85,974 deaths due to COVID-19 in the United States, according to Johns Hopkins University data. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was reporting 83,947 COVID-19 deaths on Friday.

On Wednesday, a report said President Trump and members of the White House Coronavirus Task Force are pushing the CDC to revise the way it counts coronavirus deaths. That change could lead to far fewer deaths being counted.

Trump has privately questioned the number of COVID-19 deaths as the death toll surpassed the 80,000 mark this week, suggesting it may be incorrect or inflated by the current methodology, the Daily Beast reported.

Three administration officials said Deborah Birx, the task force response coordinator, has urged the CDC to exclude from the death count some who were presumed infected, but did not have a confirmed lab result and those who had the virus but might not have died as a direct result of it, according to the news outlet.

Last week, The Washington Post reported that at a recent discussion on COVID-19 data, Birx told CDC Director Robert Redfield that “there is nothing from the CDC that I can trust.”

According to the paper, Birx and others feared the CDC was inflating coronavirus statistics, like mortality rates and case numbers, by up to 25 percent.

But not everyone shares the view that COVID-19 deaths are being overcounted.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top U.S. infectious disease expert, said during testimony before the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee Tuesday that he believes the coronavirus death toll is “almost certainly higher.”

He pointed to the situation in New York City at the peak of the outbreak. New York now has more than 27,000 COVID-19 deaths.....

There is a lot more in the linked article but I am not posting it all. Very long read.
[Reply]
tk13 07:51 PM 05-15-2020
We are still figuring out what all the symptoms are to this thing. It's extremely hard to believe the cases are undercounted (which they are) and that yet somehow the deaths are being overcounted.

It's almost guaranteed they're going to go back and find people with some of the stroke, blood clot and digestive type symptoms who had COVID but they didn't realize it at the time. It's common sense. You are going to miss things when you don't know what you're looking for yet.
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:51 PM 05-15-2020
Feels like the gym thing must have some data behind it if so many are including it. If we’re trusting our data driven decision making leaders and all.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:53 PM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
We are still figuring out what all the symptoms are to this thing. It's extremely hard to believe the cases are undercounted (which they are) and that yet somehow the deaths are being overcounted.

It's almost guaranteed they're going to go back and find people with some of the stroke, blood clot and digestive type symptoms who had COVID but they didn't realize it at the time. It's common sense. You are going to miss things when you don't know what you're looking for yet.
You just sort of made the point though. Just because you had Covid doesn't mean you died from it. Like the guy in CO who clearly died from alcohol poisoning but the Coroner was overruled by the State and it was listed as a Covid death.

And the converse of your argument is if you see Covid you automatically say it is Covid caused even though it may not have been.
[Reply]
notorious 07:53 PM 05-15-2020
I thought the results from the Science study I linked llate last night showed some really positive things, namely that the lockdowns were able to reduce R0 well below 1. That proves that even in the absence of therapy we can use the hammer and the dance to stop the spread of the disease and that initiating shelter in place orders was not a waste of time. They saved thousands and thousands of lives.
Great news!
[Reply]
notorious 07:56 PM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I love the gym. They just opened here.

I’m not going back yet. And when I do it will be the small 5 am crowd and that’s it.
I wonder how they are going to handle the cleaning. Temp check at the door, followed by a prison-like delousing?
[Reply]
petegz28 07:57 PM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
I wonder how they are going to handle the cleaning. Temp check at the door, followed by a prison-like delousing?
Part of the deal with the ones here is locker rooms are for going tinkle only. No sitting on benches soaked with butt sweat.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 07:59 PM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Just offering a counter argument that seemed to be ironically timed with your post...

There is a lot more in the linked article but I am not posting it all. Very long read.
Even if you attribute all of the presumed COVID cases to the increase in baseline mortality it still leaves a substantial uptick unaccounted for--in late April it was over 1700 in NYC and 3000 in New Jersey. Some is due to patients not seeking treatment for other ailments, but a lot is also unreported COVID deaths.
[Reply]
notorious 08:00 PM 05-15-2020
Part of the deal with the ones here is locker rooms are for going tinkle only. No sitting on benches soaked with butt sweat.
How do you work out on a machine that someone just drenched in a gallon of CovAIDS?
[Reply]
petegz28 08:02 PM 05-15-2020
Even if you attribute all of the presumed COVID cases to the increase in baseline mortality it still leaves a substantial uptick unaccounted for--in late April it was over 1700 in NYC and 3000 in New Jersey. Some is due to patients not seeking treatment for other ailment, but a lot is also unreported COVID deaths.
To me that's an argument that tries to have it both ways. "We may by overstating the reason some people died but we are pretty sure we aren't counting others so ...."

Sorry man, I am not saying who is right or wrong but that's a heads I win, tales you lose argument.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:03 PM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
How do you work out on a machine that someone just drenched in a gallon of CovAIDS?
Well if you follow the rules you are to wipe shit down after you're done. And if you're like me you wipe shit down before and after because some lazy fuck probably didn't follow the rules.
[Reply]
Bowser 08:07 PM 05-15-2020
Just for a little local flavor here in KCMO.....heard on local talk radio that reported COVID deaths remain at 16 (KC on the Missouri side) while homicides since the lockdown began are now at 20. That's....crazy.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 08:09 PM 05-15-2020
So is spending $100 on 2 dumbbells that don't have the name SoloFlex on the side of them.

Just be sure to take a selfie with you holding both of them and we can meme it to be the 3 Dumbbells.
Do what you gotta do. A mild case of covid is going to end alot of peoples workouts for the summer. Not worth it.
[Reply]
Page 2080 of 3903
« First < 1080158019802030207020762077207820792080 208120822083208420902130218025803080 > Last »
Up