ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1880 of 3903
« First < 880138017801830187018761877187818791880 188118821883188418901930198023802880 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 11:43 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Just saying. If the people under the curve are the infections, it's not changing if you stretch it out or do it at one time. Atleast I dont' think but calculus was a long time ago.
You are exactly right. So as has been stated the entire time, the mitigation was to slow the run on the hospitals not necessarily minimize the number of people who got the infection.

If we didn't mitigate we would have had the same number of infections but probably more deaths due to lack of resources in the hospitals.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:44 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
Mah freedoms
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
YUR TAKN MUH LIBERTIES FROM MUH!
I'm sure there's some of that, but there's got to be more to it.

I think the biggest thing that people probably aren't really understanding (or caring about?) is that the mask isn't there to protect the wearer - it's to protect everyone else.

A couple weeks back I walked into the grocery store. The woman in front of me in the vestibule sneezed, covering her mouth with her hand. She then placed that hand directly onto the shopping care she was using and proceeded as if nothing were out of the ordinary.

The mask would have at least HELPED that (though no one is arguing that it's 100% effective).
[Reply]
BleedingRed 11:44 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
You are exactly right. So as has been stated the entire time, the mitigation was to slow the run on the hospitals not necessarily minimize the number of people who got the infection.

If we didn't mitigate we would have had the same number of infections but probably more deaths due to lack of resources in the hospitals.
no huh

/Donger
[Reply]
O.city 11:45 AM 05-05-2020

I think it would be a 2nd order thing by slowing the infections you could avoid some?
[Reply]
O.city 11:46 AM 05-05-2020
All this talk about major changes and how different things will be post Corona.

I'm not sure I see it.

If you slowly start opening up and things don't go haywire, you'll just continue easing into it. If it continues to not explode, wouldn't theoretically you get back to "normal" and as long as no explosions, be ok?
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 11:47 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I'm sure there's some of that, but there's got to be more to it.

I think the biggest thing that people probably aren't really understanding (or caring about?) is that the mask isn't there to protect the wearer - it's to protect everyone else.

A couple weeks back I walked into the grocery store. The woman in front of me in the vestibule sneezed, covering her mouth with her hand. She then placed that hand directly onto the shopping care she was using and proceeded as if nothing were out of the ordinary.

The mask would have at least HELPED that (though no one is arguing that it's 100% effective).

9:32 am - myself + other journalists here are being harassed for wearing masks.

One man says: “It’s submission, it’s muzzling yourself, it looks weak - especially for men.”

We’re being accused of fear-mongering, not knowing anything + being “pieces of shit.”

🤗🤗@azcentral

— BrieAnna J. Frank 🌵 (@brieannafrank) May 5, 2020

[Reply]
DaFace 11:47 AM 05-05-2020

The possible caveat here is that it's only the same if the curve eventually encompasses everyone. If we buy time until a vaccine is widely available, there's a chunk of people who never end up "under the curve" at all.

If we knew 100% that we'd have a vaccine universally available in July, I have to imagine that most people would be OK with keeping many restrictions in place until then. If it's December, that gets iffy. And if it's 2022, I think most would agree that's not sustainable.

It just sucks how much we don't know about any of this. It's been a wake up call for how much we really know about disease prevention, that's for sure.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 11:48 AM 05-05-2020
All this talk about major changes and how different things will be post Corona.

I'm not sure I see it.

If you slowly start opening up and things don't go haywire, you'll just continue easing into it. If it continues to not explode, wouldn't theoretically you get back to "normal" and as long as no explosions, be ok?
For some of us it would be. Honestly I'm in the camp that it has been here much longer than we know about.
[Reply]
Donger 11:48 AM 05-05-2020

It was both, actually. If you don't get infected, you don't go to the hospital. And you don't die from it.
[Reply]
Donger 11:49 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
no huh

/Donger
One of the things that this thing has really cemented for me is that common sense isn't.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:50 AM 05-05-2020
I think it would be a 2nd order thing by slowing the infections you could avoid some?
Possibly but that isn't the primary reason to do it

Originally Posted by :
If individuals and communities take steps to slow the virus’s spread, that means the number of cases of COVID-19 will stretch out across a longer period of time. As the curve shows, the number of cases at any given time doesn’t cross the dotted line of the capacity of our nation’s health care system to help everyone who’s very sick.
https://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/we...w-can-you-help

So you are trading a run on the hospitals which could possibly generate in more deaths because of a lack of resources to stringing it out.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:50 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Masks just need to become fashion accessory like a ball cap. I'm more than happy to wear my Chiefs masks around here, but I get why people wouldn't really like wearing the ones that are just black or that were made with flowery scraps of fabric that someone had lying around the house.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:51 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
It was both, actually. If you don't get infected, you don't go to the hospital. And you don't die from it.
You can't hide from it, Donger. Not unless you intend to live the rest of your life in a plastic bubble.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:52 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Hot dogs? Rarely. Popsicles and any thing with sugar? Never.

There's a great pizza place in Hollywood that not only bakes great pizza but does Take & Bake as well. We purchased from there 5 times last year and I probably had close to 10 pieces all year.

We're chicken, fish, vegetable and fruit people. I replaced eggs with egg whites way back in 2008 and try to eat 4 avocados a week and a green apple every day. My biggest "vice" is chips and salsa, although I've really cut back in the past 20 months or so to maybe once every 10-12 days.

Diet is directly related to health, which is probably why I haven't been sick with a cold or flu since 2015, even with kids in preschool, elementary and middle school during that time.
Those are all fresh foods. Kind of a strange position from which to ridicule the starvation potential of a lack of double Wendy w/cheese, when it's premised on the total lack of fresh beef available.

Unless you anticipate a seamless transition to canned stores and bulk dry staples.
[Reply]
SAUTO 11:52 AM 05-05-2020

no we wouldnt.

mitigation has slowed the number of infections. its common sense.
[Reply]
Page 1880 of 3903
« First < 880138017801830187018761877187818791880 188118821883188418901930198023802880 > Last »
Up