ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 11
« First < 7891011
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Terez says "the Chiefs have done plenty of background on" Mahomes.
Direckshun 11:35 AM 03-18-2017
Here's his 1st round mock:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl...139261678.html

Watson goes to the Jets. Tribusky to the Browns. Kizer to the Texans.

This is what Terez says about #27:

Originally Posted by :
27. Kansas City Chiefs

QB Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech

The pressure is on Alex Smith to deliver, and while he is indeed their quarterback for 2017, the cap-tight Chiefs could save $17 million by releasing him next year. They could also create some cap room by extending him, but the point is, his future will likely be determined by how he fares this season.

That said, someone like Mahomes — who ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay recently called a cross between Brett Favre and Johnny Manziel — could be tempting to the Chiefs, who have done plenty of background work on him. He’s a gunslinger with a cannon for an arm and plus intangibles, but he’s very raw and will likely need at least a year to get accustomed to the lengthy verbiage in coach Andy Reid’s playbook. Mahomes has never had to call lengthy plays with regularity, and that’s something all quarterbacks have to do in Kansas City. The good news is that Reid is very good at scheming up concepts for his quarterbacks, so they often make predetermined reads, and with Mahomes’ arm and willingness to chuck it deep, he could potentially open up the playbook in a way Chiefs fans haven’t seen consistently.

By the way, one other bonus to selecting a quarterback early — he’ll be very cheap for the next five years. For a team that has been tight against the cap for the last several years, that would be a boon.

Of course, other teams watch tape, too, and there’s a chance none of the top four quarterbacks — Mahomes, Kizer, Trubisky and Watson — will be here, especially if Arizona takes a quarterback at No. 13. And if the top four quarterbacks are off the board, the Chiefs might be best served trading down or taking the best player available and perhaps addressing quarterback in one of the next two rounds with the likes of Pittsburgh’s Nathan Peterman, Cal’s Davis Webb, Tennessee’s Josh Dobbs or Miami’s Brad Kaaya.

But let’s say they keep the pick. Possible options include a defensive tackle like Florida’s Caleb Brantley or a cornerback like Washington’s Kevin King, Florida’s Quincy Wilson and Southern California’s Adoree’ Jackson (the Chiefs met with the latter two at the combine, by the way).

I also gave some serious thought here to Stanford’s Christian McCaffrey, because the Chiefs could use a dynamic home-run hitting back after the release of Jamaal Charles. McCaffrey was one of the combine’s top testers at his position and offers unique versatility as a runner and receiver. Still, I just can’t pick him to the Chiefs in the first, because — fun tidbit — Reid and Dorsey have never selected a running back in the first round. Not once, even dating back to the Green Bay and Philadelphia days. So if they did take him this high, they’d be bucking their trend.
Who would you take? Who would you take if no QB was on the board?
[Reply]
raybec 4 03:45 PM 04-04-2017
Originally Posted by buddha:
Andy Reid likes smart/accurate QBs above all. Kizer and Mahomes are physical freaks, but neither is "accurate" in the way KC's offense requires. I know the combine isn't a true test for QB skills, but Kizer couldn't hit anybody in stride. Mahomes has a GREAT arm, but he is going to need a lot of work.

I think the only QB that really makes sense for KC's scheme is Watson (and he's not Mr. Accuracy either...but better than others). Yes...we would have to move up to get him, but he's a proven winner and he's stays composed under pressure.
Man, I couldn't disagree more. Watson is the biggest risk in the group IMO based on arm talent alone. Kizer and Mahomes can fix their mechanics and footwork, Watson's arm isn't going to get better as he ages.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:51 PM 04-04-2017
Andy Reid likes smart/accurate QBs above all. Kizer and Mahomes are physical freaks, but neither is "accurate" in the way KC's offense requires. I know the combine isn't a true test for QB skills, but Kizer couldn't hit anybody in stride. Mahomes has a GREAT arm, but he is going to need a lot of work.

I think the only QB that really makes sense for KC's scheme is Watson (and he's not Mr. Accuracy either...but better than others). Yes...we would have to move up to get him, but he's a proven winner and he's stays composed under pressure.
{facepalm}

"HE'S A WINNER!" strikes again.

I repeat - 'winners' are a myth. Great NFL QBs come from shit programs in college all the time and virtually all QBs from great programs tend to suck in the pros.

There is absolutely no correlation at all between winning percentage in college and NFL success and frankly, if I were going to bet, I'd say any degree of statistically significant figure would point to an inverse relationship.
[Reply]
buddha 04:03 PM 04-04-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
{facepalm}

"HE'S A WINNER!" strikes again.

I repeat - 'winners' are a myth. Great NFL QBs come from shit programs in college all the time and virtually all QBs from great programs tend to suck in the pros.

There is absolutely no correlation at all between winning percentage in college and NFL success and frankly, if I were going to bet, I'd say any degree of statistically significant figure would point to an inverse relationship.
Better to land those highly coveted KU QBs who never win based on your new inverse relationship law.

The draft is a massive crap shoot and we have two very good examples of Watson playing well against the closest thing to an NFL defense in college. What about him DON'T you like...let's start there.
[Reply]
buddha 04:07 PM 04-04-2017
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
Man, I couldn't disagree more. Watson is the biggest risk in the group IMO based on arm talent alone. Kizer and Mahomes can fix their mechanics and footwork, Watson's arm isn't going to get better as he ages.
There are *some* examples of QBs who fixed their mechanics when they got to the NFL, but they are the exception. I like Kizer's size and arm strength, but he's over valued (likely due to the ND factor). Mahomes is really interesting to me...the ball explodes out of his hand.

Watson doesn't have elite arm strength, but I think his arm talent is above average. I think the other things that matter for QBs (leadership, smarts, vision, etc.) are very high with Watson.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:07 PM 04-04-2017
Better to land those highly coveted KU QBs who never win based on your new inverse relationship law.

The draft is a massive crap shoot and we have two very good examples of Watson playing well against the closest thing to an NFL defense in college. What about him DON'T you like...let's start there.
Bad feet, inconsistent upper half, below average arm strength and no experience in an advanced passing offense.

The guy is a faster Graham Harrell.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:10 PM 04-04-2017
There are *some* examples of QBs who fixed their mechanics when they got to the NFL, but they are the exception. I like Kizer's size and arm strength, but he's over valued (likely due to the ND factor). Mahomes is really interesting to me...the ball explodes out of his hand.

Watson doesn't have elite arm strength, but I think his arm talent is above average. I think the other things that matter for QBs (leadership, smarts, vision, etc.) are very high with Watson.
No, his arm talent isn't above average. It's not even above average in a below average class. It is, at best, average. Moreover, I don't know how you can say his vision is good one way or the other. Personally I've not seen anything to suggest it is but I'm putting that under 'inexperience' rather than a statement that he doesn't have good vision.

I won't state that he DOESN'T have good vision but I don't see any way you can categorically state that he does.
[Reply]
buddha 04:16 PM 04-04-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
No, his arm talent isn't above average. It's not even above average in a below average class. It is, at best, average. Moreover, I don't know how you can say his vision is good one way or the other. Personally I've not seen anything to suggest it is but I'm putting that under 'inexperience' rather than a statement that he doesn't have good vision.

I won't state that he DOESN'T have good vision but I don't see any way you can categorically state that he does.
Just like you can't categorically state that Kizer or Mahomes can fix their mechanics and feet. Tim Tebow (your comparison guy) says HI. There are too many guys who can't do what Aaron Rogers did. He was the exception to the rule.

I'm not sold on ANY quarterback in this draft, to be honest. Every one of them has warts or is so inexperienced...who can know what they could realistically become?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:24 PM 04-04-2017
Just like you can't categorically state that Kizer or Mahomes can fix their mechanics and feet. Tim Tebow (your comparison guy) says HI. There are too many guys who can't do what Aaron Rogers did. He was the exception to the rule.

I'm not sold on ANY quarterback in this draft, to be honest. Every one of them has warts or is so inexperienced...who can know what they could realistically become?
Like I've said before - any QB we get is going to have warts; it's the drawback of being led by competent people. We're never going to be drafting top 3, or at least not for the foreseeable future.

But in a 'wart-off', gimme the guy with the physical tools to excel. Because if I can coach every flaw out of Mahomes or Kizer, I get Rodgers or Roethlisberger for my troubles. If I coach them out of Watson, I get Alex Smith.
[Reply]
RealSNR 07:10 PM 04-04-2017

Great. I'll take the QBs who don't win shit in college and you can have all the Ken Dorseys, Tim Tebows, and AJ McCarrons. Sound like a good deal?
[Reply]
BossChief 07:27 PM 04-04-2017
I'd be just fine if KC takes Watson.

Maybe he would be our Dak Prescott or Russel Wilson.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 08:53 PM 04-27-2017
I guess they liked him too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Page 11 of 11
« First < 7891011
Up