ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 237
« First < 23456 789101656106 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***** Official 2016/2017 Kansas Basketball Repository Thread *****
saphojunkie 12:22 PM 04-07-2016
Now with 800% more crapshoot!

Roster:

Spoiler!

SCHEDULE

Spoiler!

Notable dates:

Late Night in the Phog
Oct 1 6:30 PM
Allen Fieldhouse
Students enter at 4:30PM, general public at 5:00 PM

Champions Classic:
Nov 15, 2016 - Madison Square Garden. KU vs. Duke

CBE Hall of Fame Classic:
semis & finals at Sprint Center in KC.
Nov 21 - 22 (early games date & time ).

Armed Forces Classic
Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickham, Hawai`i: Nov. 11 (ESPN)
Indiana vs. Kansas
Arizona vs. Michigan State

BIG 12/SEC CHALLENGE
Kansas vs. Kentucky
Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY
Jan 28, 2017

Let's go get Lucky 13. And a damn National Championship.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:28 PM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Well, he does make $5M and does have the biggest recruiting budget and the #2 most valuable program at his direction. Dude should win in March
Winning the same amount of tournament games since '04 as your "greatest coach in American sports history," Coach K, only goes so far I suppose. Poor Bail.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:30 PM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by RockChalk:
He was spot on with his rumor about Jackson though. So maybe Svi announces soon?
Svi's a much better NBA prospect than Selden, Greene or Diallo. With Mason, Graham and Jackson presumably taking up a lot of his minutes now, it's probably in his best interest to do. Too bad because we could have used him.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 12:45 PM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by RockChalk:
No update from my buddy. He's been in Mexico for a week though.

He was spot on with his rumor about Jackson though. So maybe Svi announces soon?
Svi I really like. Still hoping the rumor isn't true because I want to see him play another year for KU.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:03 PM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:
Svi I really like. Still hoping the rumor isn't true because I want to see him play another year for KU.
This. It seems like he finally got comfortable out there.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 01:18 PM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Svi's a much better NBA prospect than Selden, Greene or Diallo. With Mason, Graham and Jackson presumably taking up a lot of his minutes now, it's probably in his best interest to do. Too bad because we could have used him.
I'm with you on Greene, because he is slow. He can hit a corner 3 but won't ever do anything else or play defense. But Selden and Diallo look so much more athletic, to me anyway. If the argument that Selden's prospects are poor because he only occasionally showed off his amazing skills, I can't argue with that one. But I would think Diallo's ceiling would be pretty high.

The announcers kept talking about what a great prospect Svi is. I'm not claiming they are wrong, but his 3 point shooting was inconsistent. I never thought his dribbling against pressure defense or his drive to the basket looked all that great against college competition. I wish him the best, but am puzzled what NBA scouts see. If he goes this year, where do you suppose he will be drafted?
[Reply]
saphojunkie 01:30 PM 04-12-2016
So far, the KU rumor mill is 3/4. Really hoping that Svi decides to come back to KU, get 20+ minutes a game and be a lottery pick. He'll still be younger than Josh Jackson going into the NBA, and there's no reason he can't be a major contributor on a national title team.

Beats moving to Croatia for one year, trying to shoot your way into a new system, and then coming back for NBA camps. It's just silly... which is why he'll probably do it.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 01:33 PM 04-12-2016
Minutes available next year:

3 guard spots: 120 min/gm

2 forward spots: 80 min/gm

Graham: 30 min.
Mason: 30 min.
Jackson: 25 Min.
Svi: 20 min.
Vick: 15 min.

Bragg: 25 min.
Lucas: 25 min.
Coleby: 15 min.
Azubuike: 10 min.
Lightfoot: 5 min.

thoughts?

I know that would actually be lowering Mason and graham's minutes per game, but I think Svi and Vick can spell both of them. It would keep them all fresher. Brannen Greene kind of fucked this team in terms of rotation. Just couldn't depend on him to play defense or really do jack shit except jack up shit.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 01:49 PM 04-12-2016
Sucks Thon Maker going pro
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:03 PM 04-12-2016
Any rumblings on where Diallo is projected? Any chance he'll be back?
[Reply]
KC_Connection 02:11 PM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
I'm with you on Greene, because he is slow. He can hit a corner 3 but won't ever do anything else or play defense. But Selden and Diallo look so much more athletic, to me anyway. If the argument that Selden's prospects are poor because he only occasionally showed off his amazing skills, I can't argue with that one. But I would think Diallo's ceiling would be pretty high.
Selden is turning 22 this year and developed very little as a player at KU. Low motor and low BBIQ isn't a good mix either. Diallo is a great athlete, but he has no idea how to play the game of basketball and there's no telling whether he ever will. I could buy a NBA team making Diallo a low-end 1st round pick maybe (if you can afford to wait 3-4 years for him to even be anything), but not Selden. That guy is a non-entity.

Originally Posted by :
The announcers kept talking about what a great prospect Svi is. I'm not claiming they are wrong, but his 3 point shooting was inconsistent. I never thought his dribbling against pressure defense or his drive to the basket looked all that great against college competition. I wish him the best, but am puzzled what NBA scouts see. If he goes this year, where do you suppose he will be drafted?
I think the assumption is that his shot will come with those great mechanics (and by the end of this season, it really was coming, he finished 38% from three). When you combine that with his ideal size for a NBA wing player (6'8, 200), good instincts/high BBIQ, and perhaps most importantly his age, you have somebody a team can dream on in the new NBA. Now he may never develop the rest of his game (needs a left hand, needs to guard better, has to get stronger/more physical), but the potential is there. I'd think he'd go in the 1st round if he left.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 02:14 PM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Any rumblings on where Diallo is projected? Any chance he'll be back?
Self said he expected him to sign an agent the other day. He's probably gone.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 02:16 PM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
Brannen Greene kind of ****ed this team in terms of rotation. Just couldn't depend on him to play defense or really do jack shit except jack up shit.
And pizza boxes.

I don't anticipate we'll see Mason or Graham's minutes drop at all. Self loves them both (and for good reason).
[Reply]
saphojunkie 02:31 PM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
And pizza boxes.

I don't anticipate we'll see Mason or Graham's minutes drop at all. Self loves them both (and for good reason).
I don't anticipate it, but it would be really nice if they could stay fresh.

I disagree on a couple of things - I think Selden has a great basketball IQ. You don't make the passes he makes without seeing all the moving parts naturally.

I think he simply isn't quite the sponge that some players are. He knows he should drive to the rim, but he just doesn't quite have the knack for how to best do it. It started to come along this year.

He's going to make an NBA roster and he'll have a long career as a pro. Sometimes it just takes guys a longer time to develop. Look at JJ Redick - the ACC's all time best shooter. He played four years under the best coach in history, and yet it still took him years and a couple different NBA teams to reach his potential.

At the next level, it isn't about talent, it's about dedication. I think Selden has all the tools to be a really good player. Not comparing his skill set to Redick, just that sometimes it takes guys awhile to figure out how they can use their specific talents best, and how to develop other ones.

Also, there is this idea that Svi is a bad defender, which I find ridiculous. He needs to get stronger, but his anticipation in on-ball defense is outstanding.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 03:06 PM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
I disagree on a couple of things - I think Selden has a great basketball IQ. You don't make the passes he makes without seeing all the moving parts naturally.
I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one then. It wasn't that he floated around in many games, but I did not like watching him often because he was pretty clueless a lot of the time. He would make the wrong play so frequently on offense that it was often a wonder why Self played him as much as he did (although I'm sure that had something to do with his less-than-stellar competition and the fact that he blew them all out of the water defensively). His assist to turnover ratio was bad from the moment he stepped onto campus and it really didn't improve much as the years went by either. The odd thing was that yes, he did show flashes of being a good, if not great, passer, but that is overwhelmed by all the other mind-numbing mistakes he made on a regular basis. To me, he's just that guy who has the physical tools but will always leave you wanting more.

Originally Posted by :
He's going to make an NBA roster and he'll have a long career as a pro. Sometimes it just takes guys a longer time to develop. Look at JJ Redick - the ACC's all time best shooter. He played four years under the best coach in history, and yet it still took him years and a couple different NBA teams to reach his potential.

At the next level, it isn't about talent, it's about dedication. I think Selden has all the tools to be a really good player. Not comparing his skill set to Redick, just that sometimes it takes guys awhile to figure out how they can use their specific talents best, and how to develop other ones.
And sometimes they never develop. It happens. In any case, Selden has no shot at having a career anything like JJ Redick. Redick was a tremendous college player with a great BBIQ and had one of the best 3PT shots in the history of the NBA that helped keep him around on rosters while he figured things out. Selden has no such skill that will help him find a niche at the next level. He's not good enough at any one thing (at least right now and he's already coming on 22) to make a tangible impact in the NBA. I'd honestly be surprised if he spent much time there at all.

Originally Posted by :
Also, there is this idea that Svi is a bad defender, which I find ridiculous. He needs to get stronger, but his anticipation in on-ball defense is outstanding.
He's still a bit soft and gets pushed around easily for somebody of his size. His team defense is also lacking. But yes, I agree with the last part.
[Reply]
DanBecky 04:36 PM 04-12-2016

Coach and I been talking and I decided that I'm not gonna test and I'm excited to spend my junior year as a Jayhawk. Rock Chalk.

— Sviat Mykhailiuk (@Sviat_10) April 12, 2016

[Reply]
Page 6 of 237
« First < 23456 789101656106 > Last »
Up