ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 16
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Media Center>Preacher...
unlurking 06:23 PM 10-30-2015
Mentioned in the bigger comic book thread, but figure it probably deserves it's own thread.

[Reply]
GloucesterChief 06:49 PM 07-26-2016
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
Also....I find the show visually and stylistically entertaining...but I could not describe the plot if my life depended on it.
The Cowboy was in hell reliving the worst week of his life again and again and again till the two angels came and got him to kill Jesse.

Jesse has the power to make anybody do what he says but has to be very specific about what he tells them. He can't use metaphors ie show her your heart, go to hell, serve god.

I wonder if we will see Odin's "god".

Jesse has a bad history as a criminal. Not sure how much they are saving for the next season ie Saint of Killers, Jesse's family, Herr Starr which I believe we already saw.
[Reply]
beach tribe 10:07 AM 07-29-2016
Love this show.

Just found this site....Fn Awesome!
http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Prea...sue-1?id=14892
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 06:16 AM 07-30-2016
Caught up now . Totally lost, but highly entertained. I find myself looking forward to the next episode. The show is more confusing than the Chiefs parking plan.
[Reply]
KC_Lee 10:06 AM 08-01-2016
The season finale was good but it sort of makes me feel that the entire first season could have been condensed into 3 - 4 episodes.
[Reply]
Bowser 10:07 AM 08-01-2016
"You're not God. I just saw you pick your nose!"

"Yes I am! I am your LORD AND SAVIOR!!!"

:-)
[Reply]
Simply Red 10:15 AM 08-01-2016
sorry Seth Rogen does nothing for me - he's not funny, talented or anything else outside of being annoying. I intentionally avoid his stuff.
[Reply]
eDave 10:20 AM 08-01-2016
Originally Posted by Bowser:
"You're not God. I just saw you pick your nose!"

"Yes I am! I am your LORD AND SAVIOR!!!"

:-)
Got a real Star Trek: The Final Frontier vibe there.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 10:26 AM 08-01-2016
This episode was as if Tarintino wrote and directed it
[Reply]
Bowser 10:29 AM 08-01-2016
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
sorry Seth Rogen does nothing for me - he's not funny, talented or anything else outside of being annoying. I intentionally avoid his stuff.
I have no idea how he got involved with this, outside of him being a mega fan of the graphic novels.

Been enjoying the hell out of this show.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:36 AM 08-01-2016
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
This episode was as if Tarintino wrote and directed it
The more I've dug into the source material here, that appears to kinda be the idea.

The original comics seem to be built on that irreverent sort of insanity that Tarantino trades in.

Very unique, very entertaining, IMO.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:55 PM 08-01-2016
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I have no idea how he got involved with this, outside of him being a mega fan of the graphic novels.

Been enjoying the hell out of this show.
Yeah, he's leveraging his popularity to promote his favorite things. But he and his partner Evan have worked pretty hard on the craft of translating literature to the screen. They've done an original screenplay or to that were successes. It's not a stretch that networks start trusting them with passionate adaptations.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:57 PM 08-01-2016
Originally Posted by KC_Lee:
The season finale was good but it sort of makes me feel that the entire first season could have been condensed into 3 - 4 episodes.
Not the most scholarly, but a decent argument for the season.

http://uproxx.com/tv/was-first-seaso...sary-preacher/

I guess it depends on if you think that all the groundwork will payoff if we end up understanding the characters better in coming seasons.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:15 PM 08-01-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Not the most scholarly, but a decent argument for the season.

http://uproxx.com/tv/was-first-seaso...sary-preacher/

I guess it depends on if you think that all the groundwork will payoff if we end up understanding the characters better in coming seasons.
It's a stupid question.

"was the season necessary?".....No. Full stop. It's television; nothing about it is 'necessary'.

You already know how the story is going to end (because if it doesn't, comic fanboys will have kittens), so why the big rush? Television is purely entertainment and that's the only question that needs be asked.

"Was the season entertaining?"

I think that's an unqualified yes. And as a consequence, comic book fans got to see 10 more episodes of Jesse Custer. Non-comic fans (such as myself) also got to see those 10 more episodes and in the process got a little of the context that is difficult to fit into television adaptations of anything. You can't really do character development as well in a non-written medium because it's hard to get into their heads. Well this way we can actually see what put those thoughts in his head.

Again, just too much gnashing and wailing.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 05:45 PM 08-01-2016
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
It's a stupid question.

"was the season necessary?".....No. Full stop. It's television; nothing about it is 'necessary'.

You already know how the story is going to end (because if it doesn't, comic fanboys will have kittens), so why the big rush? Television is purely entertainment and that's the only question that needs be asked.

I think that's an unqualified yes. And as a consequence, comic book fans got to see 10 more episodes of Jesse Custer. Non-comic fans (such as myself) also got to see those 10 more episodes and in the process got a little of the context that is difficult to fit into television adaptations of anything. You can't really do character development as well in a non-written medium because it's hard to get into their heads. Well this way we can actually see what put those thoughts in his head.

I really like how Daredevil uses the priest as a conduit for what would normally be back and forth internal monologues in the comics medium.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:15 PM 08-01-2016
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
It's a stupid question.

I think a little leeway is in order, if only to digest what we watched.
First off, my understanding is not much of this was canon, or was at least vastly expanded.
Second, it's fairly unprecedented for a show to annihilate almost all of its cast in its freshman season.
I think we can all land on the conclusions you've come to, even if we take a more circuitous route in contemplating the necessity of the season as essentially prologue.
It's not like you're seeing a rash of 'that's it, I'm out' sentiments after the finale.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 16
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Up