ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>My Final Thoughts on the Chiefs Draft
Direckshun 07:47 AM 05-01-2017
Several thoughts:

1. As you guys know, I would have preferred Watson, but I'm not remotely going to argue this pick. Reid and Dorsey have earned so much benefit of the doubt, and they truly did trade up so that they had themselves a choice. That choice was Mahomes over Watson. We'll all look back in about five years and see who had it right, but I'll take Mahomes with the incredible coaching and personnel support he'll have here over Watson with Bill O'Brien. Mahomes really is a scary risk because of that Air Raid offense, but the more you read about him and how the Chiefs room felt, the better sense I get that this was the right move. I didn't even think the pricetag -- a 2018 1st and one of our 3rds -- was that bad. You almost have to throw the farm at a team to get the QB you want, and I feel like we traded about half a farm.

Exciting time to be a Chiefs fan.

2. I love this coaching staff. Bar none the best coaching staff we've had, with perhaps Britt Reid as the best on the staff -- which is really saying something. The selection of Kpassagnon was a complete investment in Britt Reid. Reid has turned so many low-rounders, UDFAs, and street guys into players that when we finally gave him a high-rounder last year in Chris Jones, Jones played like an All Pro. I see the same potential in Tanoh. I've talked about this guy on and off throughout the draft as looking like a ridiculous Greek god of a man. His athleticism is ridiculous -- did you guys see him working the OLB DRILLS at the Combine? He was the only guy over 255 they asked to do that shit, and he's damn near 300 lbs. People are saying this guy is a project but I don't see it -- I think he gets tons of playing time this year and is far more competitive than anybody gives him credit for.

3. I am certain the rumors the Chiefs wanted to trade up to the top of the 2nd are true, and I'm certain they were targeting Curtis Samuel. They wanted a stud RB who fits their system, and when they couldn't land Samuel, they "settled" for a really solid RB who still fits their system in Hunt. I think Hunt is a 1,200 yard rusher in our system, but I think we either need Spencer Ware to stay solid all season instead of fading late, or we'll eventually need another complementary back. Right now I project a 50/40/10 arrangement with Ware/Hunt/West. Could be fun.

4. I think with the selections of the last three players, Chesson, Eligwe, and McQuay, we can finally definitely say what Dorsey likes in the late rounds and what he doesn't like in the late rounds. What he doesn't like are subpar athletes who know their schemes and fundamentals incredibly well. What he prefers are NFL-caliber above-average athletes who Dorsey can then rely on the staff to coach them up. There are exceptions to this (Ramik Wilson, Zach Fulton), but Dorsey likes guys who explode on tape and lets the coaching staff worry about the back end. All three players have things to like, in particular I'm excited to see what Eligwe can do in the wide-open competition for ILB. McQuay will be interesting to take a look at here in a season or two, if he can make the roster.

Also, fuck you guys.
[Reply]
O.city 12:06 PM 05-02-2017
Im not a fan of our 2nd round pick in the short term. Long term looks good, but I dunno how much he'll contribute riggt away
[Reply]
staylor26 12:12 PM 05-02-2017
Originally Posted by O.city:
Im not a fan of our 2nd round pick in the short term. Long term looks good, but I dunno how much he'll contribute riggt away
We didn't think Jones would have an impact last year either. The fact that they took him there after going QBOTF makes me think they believe he will. I doubt Dorsey took two guys he feels need a redshirt year.

Besides, we're probably not winning a SB with Smith next year.
[Reply]
HemiEd 05:14 PM 05-02-2017
This whole draft gave me wood. We might finally be finishing that 48 year turn.

I just love it that they finally went all in.
[Reply]
O.city 06:57 PM 05-02-2017
Originally Posted by staylor26:
We didn't think Jones would have an impact last year either. The fact that they took him there after going QBOTF makes me think they believe he will. I doubt Dorsey took two guys he feels need a redshirt year.

Besides, we're probably not winning a SB with Smith next year.
Never know, they'll be really good again. IF they can stay healthy ffs.
[Reply]
staylor26 07:27 PM 05-02-2017
Originally Posted by O.city:
Never know, they'll be really good again. IF they can stay healthy ffs.
I'll tell you what a couple more surprising impacts like Jones/Hill from this draft class and we just might.

And if we can just ****ing stay healthy like you said
[Reply]
Chief Northman 07:40 PM 05-02-2017
Gerald Hodges and Andrew Tiller added as UFAs and we are loaded....
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:38 AM 05-12-2017
Per Point 3, isn't Samuels a WR? Am I missing something?
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up