ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Bob Mock 1.0
Black Bob 01:45 PM 02-03-2017
Disclaimer: I've been slow getting this done but have been working on it for a while. Please note that I haven't watched the Senior Bowl or the Senior Bowl practices yet but I do have them recorded. So, if I missed something really big that might be why. Anyway, here is my first crack at a mock this year so fire away!

2017 Chiefs Offseason

Cuts

Jamaal Charles (RB) – He’s over 30 years old and has had too many injuries to trade. (+$7 million)

Jah Reid (OT) – He played in a couple formations as a sixth linemen and still managed to get hold or false start. Despite the injury to Ehringer, he saw no time at guard. He’s simply not worth the money. (+$1.919 million)

Demetrius Harris (TE) – He’s had more than enough time grow and it just isn’t happening. He drops too many balls and is worthless as a blocker. Time to move on. (+$1.2 million)

Tyler Bray (QB) – He’s another guy who has been around long enough to show something and it just isn’t happening. Dorsey signed Foles because he wasn’t good enough. We need the money. (+$1.225 million)

Restructured Contracts

Eric Fisher (OT) – Allocate $3 million of 2017 contract into guaranteed prorated signing bonus. (+$2.4 million for 2017)

Mitchell Schwartz (OT) - Allocate $2.4 million of 2017 contract into guaranteed prorated signing bonus. (+$1.8 million for 2017)

Ron Parker (S) - Allocate $3 million of 2017 contract into guaranteed prorated signing bonus. (+$2 million for 2017)

Nick Foles (QB) – Re-work and extend contract to 3 years $21 million/$14 million guaranteed/$9 million signing bonus. This contract is similar to Chase Daniels Philadelphia contract in terms of total money. However, the guaranteed money is the most of any back-up quarterback in the league. Foles was due to make over $10 million in 2017 so some might question why he would restructure. He has said he only wants to play for Andy Reid and none of his current 2017 contract is guaranteed.

Estimated Cap Numbers: 2017 - $7 million (all guaranteed), 2018 - $7 million ($4 million guaranteed), 2019 - $7 million ($3 million guaranteed)

Dustin Colquitt (P) –Re-work and extend contract to 4 years $12 million/$5.05 million guaranteed/$1 million signing bonus. Colquitt is 34 years old and I am willing to bet he doesn’t want to move his family from KC. The contract is fair and gives him the second most guaranteed money for a punter.

Estimated Cap Numbers: 2017 - $2.05 million ($2.05 million guaranteed), 2018 - $4 million ($2 million guaranteed), 2019 - $3 million ($750,000 guaranteed), 2020 - $3 million ($250,000 guaranteed)

Chiefs Free Agents

Let the following players walk: Josh Mauga (MLB), Mike Person (OL), Jarvis Jenkins (DL), Kendell Reyes (DL), Knile Davis (RB), Trey Millard (FB), Albert Wilson (WR), Kenny Cook (WR)

RFA Tender: Cairo Santos (K) (-$1.671 million), Dan Sorenson (S) (-$1.671 million)

Re-sign James Winchester (LS) – 4 years $3 million/$1.5 million guaranteed/$0 signing bonus. Dorsey already resigned Winchester but we don’t know the contract details. This contract would put him in the middle of the pack in terms of total money and average per year. However, it would put him second in terms of guaranteed money for long snappers. The guy just lost his dad in a horrible way and the Chiefs are about family. It’s cool that Dorsey took care of him.

Estimated Cap Numbers: 2017 - $615,000 (all guaranteed), 2018 - $700,000 ($685,000 guaranteed), 2019 - $885,000 ($200,000 guaranteed), 2020 - $800,000 ($0 guaranteed).

Re-sign Eric Berry (S) – 5 years $65 million/$25 million guaranteed/$20 million signing bonus. Berry is a must sign. He’s not only the best all-around safety in the league but, he is a field general, our strongest leader and the heart of the team. This contract makes him the highest paid safety in the league. Dorsey should have dealt with him when he had the chance. Now he has to pay.

Estimated Cap Numbers: 2017 - $8 million ($6 million guaranteed), 2018 - $17 million ($5 million guaranteed), 2019 - $15 million ($5 million guaranteed), 2020 - $12.5 million ($5 million guaranteed), 2021 - $12.5 million ($4 million guaranteed)

Re-sign Dontari Poe (NT) – 5 years $55.5 million/$25.5 million guaranteed/$15 million signing bonus. Chiefs fans forget how long it took us to find a legit nose tackle. It was a slow process. Most of the good ones are taken in the first round. Poe is a rare player and is the best NT in the league. He is disruptive, regularly takes on double teams, and plays through injuries. This contract makes him the second highest paid NT in the league and gives him the third most guaranteed money out of all 3-4 defensive linemen behind Marcel Dareus and Muhammad Wilkerson. He is a core player on this team and we have to find a way to keep him.

Estimated Cap Numbers: 2017 - $7.5 million ($7.5 guaranteed), 2018 - $15 million ($6 million guaranteed), 2019 - $13 million ($5 million guaranteed), 2020 - $10 million ($4 million guaranteed), 2021 - $10 million ($3 million guaranteed)

Free Agents

Sign AJ Klein (LB) – 4 years $24 million/$10 million guaranteed/$4 million signing bonus. This contract puts him about tenth in MLB contracts. I’d love it if we could pry him away from the Panthers. I’ve liked this guy since he was at Iowa State where they called him “AK-47” because of his initials and the number he wore. He’s 25 years old, he’s smart and tough, he’s got good speed, he’s good in coverage and he doesn’t miss tackles. He has been a back-up in Carolina for the last four years but has filled in at all three linebacker spots in their 4-3 defense admirably. I think he’s ready to break out and start all the time. In the last two years he started 13 games and racked up 56 tackles, 2 sacks, two passes defended, one interception, and three forced fumbles. Those numbers are very similar to DJ’s over his last 13 games. The difference is that he’s younger and faster. He got lost in a numbers game in Carolina. Right now, I would put him at the WIL inside linebacker position that DJ has played for the last couple of years and move DJ to the MIC. After DJ retires, we can keep him at WIL or move him to MIC. I think Klein would be a perfect fit on our defense. He probably won’t ever be a pro bowler but he has great potential and will be a very good player for several years.

Estimated Cap Numbers: 2017 - $4 million (all guaranteed), 2018 - $5 million ($3 million guaranteed), 2019 - $7.5 million ($2 million guaranteed), 2020 - $7.5 million ($1 million guaranteed)

Sign Robert Woods (WR) – 3 years $20 million/$10 million guaranteed/$6 million signing bonus. This contract is very similar to the contract Mohammad Sanu got from Atlanta last year. It is very close in average money per year and includes more guaranteed money. I liked Woods when he came out of USC a few years back. He’s got good speed, he’s a great route runner, and a possession type receiver. He is basically a much better version of Albert Wilson. He’s a true #2 wide receiver, he would be an instant upgrade, and I think he’d fit perfectly in our offense. I like Conley but I think he’s a role player. He’s good at stretching the field but that’s about it. His route running really isn’t very good. Wood would help immensely in the short passing game. He excels at short crossing routes, drag routes, and quick outs. He would step right in and play the role Avery and Wilson were supposed to play. He has indicated that he will test the free agency market and I think he’ll leave Buffalo. Woods is really underrated and could thrive in our system. He’s the player we’ve been missing in my opinion.

Estimated Cap Numbers: 2017 - $4 million (all guaranteed), 2018 - $8 million ($3 million guaranteed), 2019 - $8 million ($3 million guaranteed).

Cap Notes

To make this work, I really had to dabble a little into 2018. You really can’t just look at this year’s cap when it comes down to it. Poe and Berry get their big payday in 2018-2019. We can do this because we can cut Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, and Alex Smith in 2018 without suffering too much. If Tamba and DJ retire, we would gain a couple more million. Those guys are great Chiefs but, we gotta move on after 2017. We can afford to cut Alex because we have a veteran QB for a couple more years who will give the rookie time to grow.

2017:

Total Salary Cap = $173,002,168
Total Spending: $171,401,011
Remaining Cap Room: $7,206,588 ($1,601,157 + $5,605,431 carry over from 2016)

2018:

Cut Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, and Alex Smith (+ $32,000,000 in cap space)
Total Salary Cap = $178,000,000 (low estimate)
Total Spending = $167,087,891
Remaining Cap Room: $10,923,109

Draft

1. DeShaun Watson, QB, Clemson – He’s got the size, the arm, and the heart. He is a rare QB in that he is special in the areas that can’t really be measured. He is simply “clutch.” He has had several fourth quarter comebacks and game winning drives. I bet 1/3 or more of NFL games come down to the final drive. It might just be the most important factor for a quarterback. His leadership is off the charts. He can take over a game and carry a team. He is tough as nails and shows no fear in the pocket. He grew up in a single mother home. His family was given a house through Warrick Dunn’s charity that gets single mothers into homes. His high school football coach became his mentor and role model. He studied film with him every morning at 5:00 A.M. He is dedicated and wants to be good. He is also very smart. He graduated high school a semester early and graduated from Clemson with a Bachelor’s in Economics in three years. He is a guy who works hard and wants to be good. He is also a guy who does a lot in the community to help others. His footwork is shaky at times and he hasn’t done much under center. He reads defenses well and excels at going through his progressions. If he spends a year behind Alex Smith and another behind Foles if needed, I think he could be a great NFL QB. The key is not rushing him onto the field. Most scouts had him as a second round pick before the National Championship Game. I think his stock has gone up a little since. I think he could be there when we pick. If not, I don’t think we’ll have to trade much to move down and get him.

2. Dion Dawkins, OT, Temple – He stands 6’4” and weighs 317 lbs. but he plays much bigger than that. He’s got a high motor and has a serious mean streak. He is a superior run blocker and pushes people downhill all day. He’s got good feet and is a good pass blocker. A lot of people see him as only a guard but, I think he can continue to play tackle. He played left tackle at Temple but, he will be a right tackle in the NFL. He might even surprise and work out as a swing tackle. The potential is there. We were lucky in that we didn’t lose a tackle all season last year. That probably won’t happen again. Tackle is a big need and this guy could be one of the best players on the board. He’ll start as a backup tackle but, could quickly become a starter at guard and move to tackle if needed. He’s a tone setter on the offense and I think we need that big time. His expected versatility is a big plus.

3. Tanoh Kpassagnun, DE/Edge, Villanova – He is a freak at 6’7” 280 lbs. When I watch him, he reminds me of a bigger version of a young Demarcus Ware. He has a high motor, a mean streak, is very disruptive against the pass and the run. He is an extremely violent player. Currently, I think he’s the most underrated player in the draft. Ultimately, I could see him going in the first round. Most mocks have him going in the 4th round but, I think all that will change after the combine. He looks like the kind of guy that will blow it up in Indianapolis later this month. He is a true height/weight/speed guy and Dorsey will love him. One big bonus about him is that if he can’t play edge in a 3-4 defense, he can still play DE. He is bigger than Chris Jones. He’s probably not as strong but he is faster. His first step is lightning fast. It’s faster than Dee Ford’s in my opinion. Andy Reid seems to keep an eye on Villanova. Maybe it’s because it was in Philly but maybe not? All I know is he took the two best players to come out of there in the last 20 years and they both became good NFL players. He drafted Brian Westbrook (RB) and signed unrestricted free agent Brian Finneran while he was in Philadelphia. Don’t be surprised if he gives Dorsey a nudge on Kpassagnun.

3. (Comp) Damien Mama, OG, USC – He stands 6’3” and weighs 325 lbs. He played LG at USC and might be the most technically sound guard in this draft. He also has a has a mean disposition, a high motor, and always finishes plays. He’s a better run blocker than pass blocker but he is solid all around. He can come in and start at LG on day one. He is another one of the most underrated players in the draft. If we want him, we’ll have to take him here because he’ll be gone by our pick in the fourth round.

4. Eddie Jackson, SS, Alabama – He stands 6’0” and weighs 194 lbs. He probably would have been a first round pick if he hadn’t broken his leg. All reports say he is healing up fine and will be ready for the season. He was a team captain and fan favorite for Bama. After he broke his leg, he continued to lead in the locker room and the sidelines on crutches. Near the end of the 4th quarter at the SEC Championship game, the entire stadium started chanting “Eddie…Eddie…Eddie!” It was cool to watch. Eddie is lighting fast and extremely agile. He is a special teams standout and is a superior returner. He would come in and immediately take Knile Davis’s role as the kick returner (except in the playoffs when Tyreek is back there). He is a true ball hawk. He reminds me of a faster Tashon Gibson when he played for the Browns and is an interception machine. He’s a true center fielder and is a great deep safety. He is not very big and is an alright tackler. He’s an average run defender and you won’t ever see him in the box. He’s pretty much a safety/corner tweener type and is sort of a poor man’s Honey Badger. I think he could really do a good job covering TEs in the NFL. There’s a good chance he would take Dirty Dan’s job on defense.

5. Jake Butt, TE, Michigan – At 6’5” and 250 lbs., Butt is the prototype TE. He can run, block, and catch. He was a pivotal player on Michigan’s offense and made big time plays in big time games. He was projected to go in the late first to early second rounds. Late in the season he tore his ACL. He will miss the entire 2017 season but, I think he’s worth the wait until 2018. I normally don’t like drafting more than one player coming off an injury but, we do have ten picks so I think it’s worth the chance. If he works out, he and Kelce will be the best TE tandem in the league. I could see Reid splitting them both out and doing some Gronk/Hernandez type of stuff on offense. Plus, come on! His last name is BUTT!

5. (Comp) James Connor, RB, Pittsburgh – He stands 6’2” and weighs 240 lbs. He is nothing but muscle. He’s a big banger type of back and can really wear a defense down. Some might say he doesn’t really fit in our offense but I disagree. I think Andy likes variety in his running back group. Like Berry, he overcame cancer and is now cancer free. They developed a friendship over this and Berry has become a mentor to him. If he is fully healthy like Berry, we get tremendous value here. Again, I think we can afford to take some chances with our depth and multiple draft picks. He will start training camp cleared for all football activities.

6. Will Holden, OT, Vanderbilt – Tall tackle at 6’7” 313 lbs. who is technically sound. He has great feet and is solid around. He is good against the pass and the run. He sometimes struggles to keep his balance against the bull rush and could stand to gain some weight in my opinion. He doesn’t appear to be as strong as he looks. All in all the tape speaks for itself. He held his own as a LT in the SEC and would provide good depth.

6. (Comp) Josh Topou, NT, Colorado – He stands 6’3” and weighs in at 320 lbs. He is a true nose tackle in a 3-4 defense and was the captain and leader of the Buffalos defense. He had his best game leading the Buffalos to victory against Stanford. He anchored the line that held McAffery to under 100 yards and no touchdowns. He’s mean, he has a high motor, and he is tough as nails. He would have a good shot at making the roster and being Poe’s backup. He’s a very underrated player in my opinion.

7. Maurice Smith, CB, Georgia – He stands 6’0” and weighs 205 lbs. He is a rare player in that he only plays Nickelback. Most of the time, you don’t see these guys get drafted. The thing is that he is a REALLY good Nickelback. He transferred from Bama and followed Kirby Smart to UGA. He wanted a chance to start outside but, he didn’t win the job. However, he was voted team captain and finished the season as UGA’s Defensive MVP. This guy is LEGIT and I think he could beat out Steven Nelson and start as the Nickelback. It’s sort of unorthodox to draft a player like this but, he is worth it in my opinion.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:07 PM 02-03-2017
Originally Posted by Black Bob:
I love UGA as much as the Chiefs. I have watched every game Conley has played in College and the NFL. He is the same guy he always was.

I don't give a shit about body type. Russell Wilson had SIX game winning drives and fourth quarter comebacks at Wisconsin his senior year. If you read my summary, you would understand the comparison.

Who care if the contracts were drawn up last year? They aren't losing a dollar. They are gaining guaranteed money. Every player in the history of the NFL would want that. You clearly don't get it. Ron Parker gets a $3 million check the second he signs the restructured contract. Then we lose $1 million off the cap each of the next three years. Chiefs get $2 million in cap space now. Everyone wins!

You can argue about the TEs we have besides Harris. I get it. The bottom line is we need the cap room. He's got to go when it's all said and done. He makes too much money and his contract doesn't hinder us to cut him.
This entire post is why people fucking hate you.

I gave you well-reasoned explanations of why I disagreed with you. I said that I disagreed, gave more explanations and said "disagree".

You can't let shit go. You keep pounding your viewpoint until people want you banned.

Chill out.
[Reply]
Black Bob 07:40 AM 02-04-2017
Ok, sorry. I wasnt intending to come off like a dick. I think you are being overly sensitive.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:18 AM 02-04-2017
I think you are being overly sensitive.
No, you were acting like a overly defensive dick.

Agree to disagree and leave it at that.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 01:36 PM 02-04-2017
Aj Klein is the worst linebacker in football
[Reply]
New World Order 02:46 PM 02-04-2017
I like it Bob.

Well done
[Reply]
kccrow 08:37 PM 02-04-2017
I think that Conley has grown and become a better receiver over the past 2 seasons. His production matches that. I don't know how going from 17 for 199 to 44 for 530 isn't showing improvement. The guy catches pretty much everything thrown his way. I wish Alex would get the ball to him more frequently, to be honest. The fuck if I'm looking to replace Conley at this point. I'm looking to replace DeAnthony Thomas, Albert Wilson, and Demarcus Robinson.

I also agree with Dane about restructuring guys going into the 2nd years of their contracts. It is not likely to happen. Even then, Fisher and Schwartz would gain nothing with restructuring this year given that both of their salaries are fully guaranteed for 2017 already. You can't even do anything with those guys until 2018.

I have my doubts about restructuring Parker and adding more money into his 30's, but maybe they do it.
[Reply]
Black Bob 01:13 PM 02-05-2017
Conley's production went up because he became a starter. I don't like Conley for a number of reasons and I'll leave it at that. I will agree to disagree.

Not sure how else I can explain the restructuring? Guaranteed or not the player gets money up front and loses nothing. He also helps his team. It's not a big deal. Hardly any contract ever stays the same for the duration.

Here is an example of a restructured contract one year in from last year. This is pretty common.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-with-dolphins
[Reply]
Black Bob 07:08 PM 04-30-2017
We ended up with two of mine so I can't complain...
[Reply]
kccrow 07:37 PM 04-30-2017
We ended up with two of mine so I can't complain...
Yup. I nailed round 2 on TK, but he didn't go to a 4-3 team lol.
[Reply]
Black Bob 07:39 PM 04-30-2017
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Yup. I nailed round 2 on TK, but he didn't go to a 4-3 team lol.
I honestly thought he might have gone in the first. I wonder if we were trying to get back into the first to take him?
[Reply]
kccrow 07:54 PM 04-30-2017
I honestly thought he might have gone in the first. I wonder if we were trying to get back into the first to take him?
I think that was for Foster or Cook. I don't think this kid was that type of talent that Dorsey would give up that much. He didn't even move up in 2 to get him.
[Reply]
In58men 09:56 PM 04-30-2017
It's all about Courtland Sutton next year.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up