ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Mock (11/16)
Direckshun 12:19 AM 11-16-2016
Assumptions:

1. Chiefs finish 12-4, winning a first round bye. Unfortunately, the Steelers come to town and upset them. They have the 27th pick in the draft. Alex Smith, Andy Reid, and John Dorsey are all retained.

2. OLB Tamba Hali retires.

3. RB Jamaal Charles renegotiates a contract down to 2 years, $4m; P Dustin Colquitt renegotiates his contract down to 2 years, $5m.

4. NT Dontari Poe is franchised.

5. DE Allen Bailey is traded for a 3rd rounder and a 2018 mid-rounder.

6. S Eric Berry is re-signed for 4 years, $44m ($19m guaranteed); S Daniel Sorensen is re-signed for 2 years, $5m; K Cairo Santos is re-signed for 4 years, $12m ($2m guaranteed).

7. The following players are brought back on minimum deals: LS James Winchester

8. The Chiefs do not tender anyone.

9. The following players walk in free agency: QB Nick Foles, RB Knile Davis, RB Bishop Sankey, WR Albert Wilson, OG Mike Person, DE Kendall Reyes, DE Jarvis Jenkins

10. The following players are cut: FB Anthony Sherman, TE Demetrius Harris, OT Jah Reid, OLB Frank Zombo, CB Kenneth Acker

11. The Chiefs bring in 4 compensatory picks: a 4th (Sean Smith), a 5th (Chase Daniel), and two 6ths (Donald Stephenson & Tyvon Branch).

On with the show:

1st. QB Chad Kelly, Ole Miss

Dorsey's primary move here is to usually find someone who can replace a departing veteran after the 2017 season. But there are no obvious candidates for that this year. Jaye Howard will be on the last year of his deal but Rakeem Nunez-Roches seems ready to take over. DJ is under contract until 2018, but who knows how close he is to retirement. Same with Alex Smith.

I'm going to assume the Chiefs pick someone to challenge and push Smith. They let Foles walk in my hypothetical, and who knows about Bray.

Kelly is perfect for the Andy Reid offense. He's a nephew of Jim Kelly, and has great accuracy and is an excellent leader with lots of mental fortitude. He loves to be hyperaggressive passing the ball, and while that's a welcome change of pace in KC, he'll make some mistakes for a season or two while he learns to harness that impulse.

2nd. CB Sidney Jones, Washington

The Chiefs really like Phillip Gaines, but he can't stay healthy. After their aborted effort on KeiVarae Russell, the Chiefs take another shot.

If you're looking for a Marcus Peters clone, you're out of luck, but Jones is as close as you're going to get. Jones is a hyperaggressive corner, smaller than Peters, but with superior ballskills and tight man-to-man ability.

3rd (Bailey). OLB Josh Carroway, TCU

With Tamba Hali out of the picture, the Chiefs have too much experience losing their stud passrushers not to make an insurance pick here.

Carroway is a ferocious rusher in the Hali mold; he is not the best athlete, but he boasts great strength at the point of attack and can overpower blockers.

3rd. RB Wayne Gallman, Clemson

With a RB stable of Ware, Charles, and West, the Chiefs have a very good bellcow, a declining Hall of Famer, and a decent reserve who may have lost his burst. While that's a decent stable, Ware is the only true bellcow in the bunch.

Gallman is a true bellcow as well. He is a versatile talent, capable of punishing runs up the gut as well as nifty, shifty runs off tackle. His work in the receiving game has gone leaps and bounds as well. By the end of the season, I imagine he and Ware will be in a time share.

4th. WR Stacy Coley, Miami

Coley is a perfect receiver for the Chiefs. He has great deep speed and can stretch the field, but with some refinement on his routes, he should be the quick-route speedster Alex Smith loves throwing to.

4th (compensatory). ILB Jaylen Reeves-Maybin, Tennessee

Something the Chiefs absolutely do not have is an ILB that can play sideline-to-sideline with superior instincts should DJ go down. Justin March has the ability, but is currently lacking the instincts and has gone on IR two consecutive years. Reeves-Maybin is a super athlete for the position with good instincts, and should he manage to get a bit stronger against the run, should be a three-down ILB in the NFL.

5th. NT Tanzel Smart, Tulane

Smart is a truly impactful presence for an otherwise miserable football program. He is a shocking talent that I find myself loving. He's fast, anchors well, fundamentally sound with very good technique for someone his age.

5th (compensatory). OT Taylor Moton, Western Michigan

This guy seems exactly like the kind of player Dorsey would track down in the mid-to-late rounds. He has an NFL frame with very good mobility. He lives by the run game, though he will need time to develop his technique.

6th (compensatory). DE Christian LaCouture, LSU

6th (compensatory). TE Cam Serigne, Wake Forest

7th. FB Freddie Stevenson, Florida State

[Reply]
kc79 09:27 PM 11-20-2016
What do you think about Luke Falk? He seems like an accurate passer that can get the ball down the field
[Reply]
Saccopoo 02:03 AM 11-21-2016
Ehhhhh...

Kelly has been marginal for the season.

At this point, Carroway loses to Utah's Hunter Dimnick, who is basically a young Tamba Hali. (At least as a draft guy at the same point.)

Are the comp picks right in this mock?
[Reply]
Direckshun 02:28 AM 11-21-2016
Originally Posted by Saccopoo:
Are the comp picks right in this mock?
Likely so.
[Reply]
jonzie04 10:23 AM 11-21-2016
Swap out Kelly for Mahomes or Josh Dobbs and we're good to go
[Reply]
BryanBusby 03:19 PM 11-21-2016
Josh Dobbs is not good as a pro prospect
[Reply]
jonzie04 08:28 PM 11-22-2016
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Josh Dobbs is not good as a pro prospect
He's very bright, aerospace engineer major. and he has great tools. Mobility, leadership, the ability to overcome etc. he's really raw, but I could see him being a guy Reid would love. And I do think after a few years under Reid his floor is around Alex smith level. Not sure if he's a first rounder,but There's a lot to like about him.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 01:27 AM 11-26-2016
Intelligence isn't really a good indicator that a QB will bust or not, although it helps.

He's a thin guy that relies on his legs to help generate first downs. He's too thin to do this in the NFL and will certainly be fucked up relatively fast when he meets NFL linebackers head on.

His footwork is god awful, which leads to his passes being allover the fucking place and I'm not sure he can reliably take a not shotgun snap. I don't see a pocket passer in him, at all.

He's got more potential at WR in the NFL than he would at QB.
[Reply]
jonzie04 10:19 AM 04-28-2017
Originally Posted by jonzie04:
Swap out Kelly for Mahomes or Josh Dobbs and we're good to go
First one on cp to post about wanting Mahomes? :-)
[Reply]
kccrow 06:24 PM 04-28-2017
Originally Posted by jonzie04:
First one on cp to post about wanting Mahomes? :-)
I think you may have been. I know D later mocked Mahomes in one but didn't keep him in.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up