ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 31 of 3903
« First < 212728293031 3233343541811315311031 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 12:56 PM 03-02-2020
Was just listening to the daily WHO briefing.

They mentioned that containment IS working. This virus is unique in the fact that it isn't like influenza, as if this was the case - we'd have seen many more cases by now. Top priority for all countries right now needs to be containment.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:09 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
All of that still leaves out what is likely to be a large number of people who are infected but otherwise just treat it as a cold or who don't show any symptoms. Obviously the death rates are concerning, but you can't really compare it to similar numbers from the flu until people actually have time to study it in detail.

I haven't seen any estimates from experts that think the true death rate is above 1%.
Assuming heath care services aren't over run like they were for a while in China and I assume currently are in Iran. If people can't get treatment, the death rate and transmission rate could climb.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:16 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Was just listening to the daily WHO briefing.

They mentioned that containment IS working. This virus is unique in the fact that it isn't like influenza, as if this was the case - we'd have seen many more cases by now. Top priority for all countries right now needs to be containment.
Yeah I'd really like to find out which factors help in transmission. So far we know 4 places where transmission and severe infection/death rates are high - China, Iran, N. Italy and the cruise ship.

Cruise ship is obvious - age and close proximity.

China had the disadvantage of not knowing what it was for a month or more. Also people live/work/commute in close quarters and at least the men tend to be heavy smokers I believe. China has one advantage in that they can put 50 million people on lockdown. Imagine if the US tried that.

Iran - I know very little about daily life in Iran. Do they smoke a lot? Do they eat with their hands regularly? Is there a lot of hugging and touching and sharing of things like hooka pipes or something? I'm assuming general food cleanliness is not up to Western/Japanese/etc standards, same goes for medical care.

Northern Italy - also probably a lot of smokers. Temps are cold, which helps other coronaviruses live on surfaces longer (unknown yet how well COVID lives on surfaces). Assuming decent food hygiene and top-notch medical care. Italians do like to kiss each other on the face as a greeting and are very touchy-feely.
[Reply]
Donger 01:18 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Iran - I know very little about daily life in Iran. Do they smoke a lot? Do they eat with their hands regularly? Is there a lot of hugging and touching and sharing of things like hooka pipes or something? I'm assuming general food cleanliness is not up to Western/Japanese/etc standards, same goes for medical care.

[Reply]
Chief Pagan 01:20 PM 03-02-2020

We're about 3 months into the outbreak, (worldwide) and we're at under 100 confirmed cases in the US. (A lot of those cases were people we brought home from hot spot areas) Will the number of cases go up? Almost certainly. But can we limit the cases to communities in which they appear?

I'm trying to be optimistic.. The alternative is too bleak.
I really doubt containment is going to stamp it out. But it can certainly slow things down.

The optimistic scenario is that it spread in the US is slow enough and also that the virus mostly disappears with warmer summer weather.

It would probably return next fall but there might be better treatments by then. And if people who get the disease can be spread out in time than hospitals won’t be overwhelmed.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:25 PM 03-02-2020

While the city of Qom is the epicentre of #CoronaVirus in Iran, authorities refuse to close down religious shrines there.

These pro-regime people are licking the shrines & encouraging people to visit them.

Iran's authorities are endangering lives of Iranians & the world pic.twitter.com/s9o6zYhzNQ

— Masih Alinejad ��️ (@AlinejadMasih) February 29, 2020

Well the Iranian govt and their supporters seem to be behaving particularly stupidly over this.

Edit: ponied by donger.
[Reply]
Donger 01:25 PM 03-02-2020
Four Americans who were being monitored in the National Quarantine Unit at the UNMC/Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha were released from the quarantine unit, according to a release from the institution.

Two of the people previously tested positive for coronavirus, while two others tested negative throughout the quarantine process, the release said.

The two people who previously tested positive for the disease were released from quarantine yesterday afternoon, having tested negative for the virus in three separate tests, 24 hours apart, according to UNMC health officials. The two people who tested negative left the quarantine unit this morning.

These four Americans met all UNMC/Nebraska Medicine qualifications for release, which exceeded CDC qualifications.
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:30 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Why in the world was this decision made?
This is America, dammit!

[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 01:34 PM 03-02-2020
3 more deaths reported in the Seattle area. 5 deaths out of 14 identified cases in King County. They didn't identify two as cases until after their passing. I wonder if this is that nursing home
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:40 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
3 more deaths reported in the Seattle area. 5 deaths out of 14 identified cases in King County. They didn't identify two as cases until after their passing. I wonder if this is that nursing home

[Reply]
TLO 01:41 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
I really doubt containment is going to stamp it out. But it can certainly slow things down.

The optimistic scenario is that it spread in the US is slow enough and also that the virus mostly disappears with warmer summer weather.

It would probably return next fall but there might be better treatments by then. And if people who get the disease can be spread out in time than hospitals won’t be overwhelmed.
There have been several countries that have only had a minimal number of cases that have stamped it out with containment. That's obviously not going to work for everyone though.
[Reply]
Bwana 01:43 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:

Wow, well that explains a lot. :-)
[Reply]
TLO 01:44 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
I would imagine so.. When you talk about containment, making sure it DOESN'T hit these types of places is going to be key in the grand scheme of things.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 01:46 PM 03-02-2020
I would imagine so.. When you talk about containment, making sure it DOESN'T hit these types of places is going to be key in the grand scheme of things.
How the fuck did it hit that place to start with?
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:47 PM 03-02-2020
Let's hope the Taliban and al-quaeda and ISIL folks all follow the licking ritual, too.
[Reply]
Page 31 of 3903
« First < 212728293031 3233343541811315311031 > Last »
Up