ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 147 of 200
« First < 4797137143144145146147 148149150151157197 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****2018-2019 Official NBA Regular season thread****
dirk digler 05:23 PM 10-16-2018
Didn't see anybody starting this thread so I guess I will.

Anti climatic season starts tonight and my prediction is GS vs Boston in the NBA Finals.

First 2 Games tonight on TNT with Philly vs Boston and OKC vs GS. Westbrook is out tonight so that game will be a blowout most likely.
[Reply]
staylor26 03:09 PM 06-27-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
IIRC, PA is a big Spurs fan so make with that what you will.
Ahh that makes sense.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 03:14 PM 06-27-2019
Originally Posted by -King-:
Kobe wasn't drafted by the Lakers and he demanded a trade at least twice...
That's because he didn't get along with Shaq and you know what I meant with the draft comment.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:16 PM 06-27-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
:-)

I don’t understand why this upsets you so much, but the city of Toronto absolutely loves Kawhi and he’s a god there at the moment. You could argue it all you want, but it’s the truth.
Which likely yield Kawhi greater long-term pecuniary benefits:

1) Being a star in Toronto
2) Being a star on a competitive Clippers team
3) Being the short term #2b and long-term #1b on a championship Lakers team

It's 2 or 3, right? The exposure in the LA market that he'll get in the states is unparalleled. Toronto will not be a springboard into global dominance or whatever for him, regardless of how revered his is there.

If it's a comfort thing, I could see him staying there if he's really come to enjoy it (and I wouldn't be surprised, Toronto is awesome). But if it's an exposure thing, I still think either LA move, in whatever capacity he ends up, puts him ahead of the game.
[Reply]
staylor26 03:19 PM 06-27-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

It's 2 or 3, right? The exposure in the LA market that he'll get in the states is unparalleled. Toronto will not be a springboard into global dominance or whatever for him, regardless of how revered his is there.

If it's a comfort thing, I could see him staying there if he's really come to enjoy it (and I wouldn't be surprised, Toronto is awesome). But if it's an exposure thing, I still think either LA move, in whatever capacity he ends up, puts him ahead of the game.
Oh I’m not at all talking about stardom.

And I disagree that being in Lebron’s shadow is better for that. That’s like going from Kawhi right now to Klay. The Clippers on the other hand? Sure
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 03:21 PM 06-27-2019
Jordan pussed out and played baseball for a 1 year and half.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:22 PM 06-27-2019
Umm Kawhi on the Clippers is a contender. They have a good young team and they played damn well against the Warriors, so they wouldn’t have to be in anybody’s shadow. There’s also rumors that he wants Butler to go with him if he does.

And Lebron has never differed to anybody (in the organization period), so I don’t think he’s going to start now.
Are you folks trying to say "deferred"?
[Reply]
staylor26 03:23 PM 06-27-2019
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Are you folks trying to say "deferred"?
I meant to put quotes around that because I was quoting him. I realize that was misspelled.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:24 PM 06-27-2019
Oh I’m not at all talking about stardom.

And I disagree that being in Lebron’s shadow is better for that. The Clippers on the other hand? Sure
It might not be a winning move if LAL doesn't win a title.

But if the Lakers win a championship and Kawhi is there making big shots and getting defensive stops, he'd be a bigger star than he could ever otherwise be apart from winning a championship as the star player for LAC.

Look no further than the last Raptors superstar, Chris Bosh. Bosh is gonna go to the Hall of Fame in all likelihood and it will be largely because of what happened in Miami. And Miami will NEVER have the juice that the LA market does. Being LeBron's sidekick (and Wade's for that matter) worked out exceptionally well for Chris Bosh.

It would ultimately come down to outcomes. If he goes to LAC and they outperform LAL with Kawhi as the lead dog, yes - he'll be bigger than he would've in Lebron's shadow. But if he goes to LAC and LA remains a Lakers town because LAL won without him, he'd have been far better off joining LAL. And if he goes to LAL and wins WITH Lebron, he'll experience stardom unlike anything he's ever known.
[Reply]
sedated 03:25 PM 06-27-2019

I don't how much the market size matters anymore in terms of national and global exposure. LeBron was a worldwide star during his years in Cleveland and didn't gain much from going to Miami or LA. Mahomes is quickly becoming a worldwide star in KC. Mike Trout is in LA, and its been a topic of discussion as to why he ISN'T more popular.
[Reply]
dirk digler 03:26 PM 06-27-2019
They're gonna have that issue either way.

So they can either add a great player that eases the load on LeBron while he's on the court, thus lessening the need for significant depth. Or they can get 2.5 mediocre players who soak up minutes but demand that Lebron work a lot harder when he's out there.

Signing Patty Mills, John Henson and Josef Nurkic just means that LeBron and Davis are gonna be busting their asses for 35 minutes/gm to cover for the fact that those 2 (and Kozma) are going to be playing with mediocre help around them. Whereas if you have a true max-level guy, they can all play 30 minutes a game and distribute the load among themselves a little better.

In the former situation you're still struggling to find another 6 roster players. In the latter you're gonna have to hustle to find 8. So all you've really done is change the back of your bench a little and in the process you've diminished your starting 5 and put a heavier load on your superstars.

Nah - I think that's just completely wrong.
Who is out there that can take the load off of Lebron though? Kawhi definitely could but doubtful he goes there, KD is out, Kyrie is looking he is going to the Nets, Kemba is going to the Celtics, Klay is staying with GS. So that leaves Jimmy Butler. Maybe a Tobias Harris or a Khris Middleton? Maybe Al Horford but he is hoping for a 4 year $100 million deal.

Any veterans willing to play at the minimum that are any good?

This isn't like when Lebron was in Cleveland where he could take it easy for 3/4 of the regular season, the WC is tough almost every night. Plus you have AD's injury history to take in account as well.

I don't know..
[Reply]
Jerm 03:27 PM 06-27-2019
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Call it what it really is and stop sugarcoating it you simply are not very competitive and only care about money/living easy life. Which is fine but not everyone is like that... Some players are extremely competitive and don't want to play with the best they want to beat the best.

Kobe/MJ stayed with team that drafted them through thick and thin. You act like the Bulls were always stacked. They weren't. It took MJ a long time before he won his first championship. So acting like Bulls were always stacked is ridiculous.
What the hell are you talking about....MJ played with arguably the 2nd best player in the league throughout almost his entire run...pepper Ho Grant, Ron Harper, Longley, Rodman, etc.

You act like he was out there carrying a team of scrubs to those rings...

...and as much as I love Kobe he played with Shaq, Harper, Horry and then Gasol in his prime. Come on.
[Reply]
staylor26 03:27 PM 06-27-2019
It might not be a winning move if LAL doesn't win a title.

But if the Lakers win a championship and Kawhi is there making big shots and getting defensive stops, he'd be a bigger star than he could ever otherwise be apart from winning a championship as the star player for LAC.

Look no further than the last Raptors superstar, Chris Bosh. Bosh is gonna go to the Hall of Fame in all likelihood and it will be largely because of what happened in Miami. And Miami will NEVER have the juice that the LA market does. Being LeBron's sidekick (and Wade's for that matter) worked out exceptionally well for Chris Bosh.

It would ultimately come down to outcomes. If he goes to LAC and they outperform LAL with Kawhi as the lead dog, yes - he'll be bigger than he would've in Lebron's shadow. But if he goes to LAC and LA remains a Lakers town because LAL won without him, he'd have been far better off joining LAL. And if he goes to LAL and wins WITH Lebron, he'll experience stardom unlike anything he's ever known.
I mean I guess?

But the guy is a huge star right now as the guy coming off a championship, but in a way I guess you can say he’d be a bigger star? It still wouldn’t be a good move for his legacy or brand.

I mean we’re talking about the guy that became a star after giving Lebron fits in the Finals on his way to MVP. I just don’t see the logic in signing up to be in his shadow.

Also, what happens if they fail? We all know what happens whenever Lebron fails. Would Kawhi and/or AD be the scapegoat?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:27 PM 06-27-2019
Originally Posted by sedated:
I don't how much the market size matters anymore in terms of national and global exposure. LeBron was a worldwide star during his years in Cleveland and didn't gain much from going to Miami or LA. Mahomes is quickly becoming a worldwide star in KC. Mike Trout is in LA, and its been a topic of discussion as to why he ISN'T more popular.
Because LA is a Lakers town.

Put Mike Trout out there as a Dodger and this story is different, IMO.

I agree it's perhaps not it once was, but it's still the Lakers and they're still probably the leagues marquee franchise. Not the most historically successful, mind you - sadly that still goes to Boston. But if you ask Silver what team in the league he would choose if he could pick any team to kick ass, he'd say the Lakers or maybe the Knicks.

Which is why I say he could run behind LeBron and still be big shit in purple and gold.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:28 PM 06-27-2019
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Call it what it really is and stop sugarcoating it you simply are not very competitive and only care about money/living easy life. Which is fine but not everyone is like that... Some players are extremely competitive and don't want to play with the best they want to beat the best.

Kobe/MJ stayed with team that drafted them through thick and thin. You act like the Bulls were always stacked. They weren't. It took MJ a long time before he won his first championship. So acting like Bulls were always stacked is ridiculous.

It does not upset me it's just simply not true. But hey if you think Canadians think Kawhi is a God then that is fine believe whatever you want.
They made the playoffs every year and they won it in 1991. Not sure that's a LONG time or that he really had many opportunities to leave.
[Reply]
staylor26 03:29 PM 06-27-2019
Originally Posted by Jerm:
What the hell are you talking about....MJ played with arguably the 2nd best player in the league throughout almost his entire run...pepper Ho Grant, Ron Harper, Longley, Rodman, etc.

You act like he was out there carrying a team of scrubs to those rings...

...and as much as I love Kobe he played with Shaq, Harper, Horry and then Gasol in his prime. Come on.
:-)

Scottie Pippen was never the 2nd best player in the league.
[Reply]
Page 147 of 200
« First < 4797137143144145146147 148149150151157197 > Last »
Up