ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 748 of 3903
« First < 248648698738744745746747748 74975075175275879884812481748 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bwana 04:11 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I get the impression that you're an anxious person who legitimately is concerned about these things, but I just find this kind of information to be useless. Is it sad? Of course. But otherwise healthy people die of random shit every day.

We know that, while rare, COVID-19 kills a handful of people in every age range and health condition. Getting unnecessarily worked up about fringe cases just doesn't add to rational discussion.
^
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 04:12 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Well here is Gabe Brown a mayor in Kentucky..

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...dkq-story.html

Listen up dipshits and sensible people. I might not have the best bedside manor. I might not put you at ease like the Governor does, but I don’t care. You need to realize that this is a serious ordeal. In fact, it’s a big f**cking deal. Stay at home.

I didn’t give you information to induce panic. I gave you information, so that you’d be informed.

Maybe, just maybe, I am privy to information that you aren’t. I’m sorry for being the gossiping Mayor.
I’m tired of Covid-19 conference calls. I take 3 a day, plus one extra on the weekend with Kenton County. If you don’t like what I’m telling you, then go buy some toilet paper.

I pray every night that the State, County and region that I love with all of my heart will stop doing nonsensical things. Treat this seriously. If you don’t, then screw you (fuck you is what I want to say, but I can’t).

This will pass. Take it seriously. It is here. Act like you have the virus and don’t spread it to other people. I have no doubt that it hasn’t already been here, but testing had been limited. More cases are coming. If you ignore this problem, the worst thing that could happen is that your mother, father, grandmother, grandfather, aunts, uncles could die.

Be responsible. If you don’t, then screw you.

Warmest regards,

Mayor Gabe Brown
Nice.
[Reply]
ChiefZilla 04:12 PM 03-25-2020
prayers for those with jury duty
[Reply]
kgrund 04:13 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Yep. It's a lagging indicator, but it's probably about the most reliable (until the possibility of hospital overloads causing the rate to spike).
They are all lagging indicators if it takes likely days for someone to be tested and ultimately reported.
[Reply]
O.city 04:22 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
And it doesn't appear to have been combined with the azithromycin, which would mirror the results of one of the french studies that ALSO said that the HC was of marginal effectiveness on its own but seemed to demonstrate much stronger returns when combined with Z-Pack.

The problem is that the 'why' is still up for debate.

But the 'everyone panic!' crowd wants to shit on every potential positive development the second a single potential issue shows up and then claim that all of our kids are going to die after a couple of facebook posts.

The wild swings dependent exclusively ont he tenor of the news being reported is beyond the pale.
There’s some really good results with other meds too.

Monoclonal antibodies would be the best shit for this but biologicals are a bitch
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 04:23 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Los Angeles has stopped testing altogether so it's extremely unlikely we'll ever know how many are and were infected, unless those people are admitted to ER's and given treatment.
That is stupid. I would expect a test or they can eat the $35k minimum that the treatment costs.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:26 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
There’s some really good results with other meds too.

Monoclonal antibodies would be the best shit for this but biologicals are a bitch
I hadn't seen anything else that really tripped my trigger.

Early optimism over remdesivir really seems to have flamed out quickly. I think they're still progressing with clinical trials but those seem to be pro forma as much as anything.

I get out of my depth pretty quickly reading this stuff but it seems that a LOT of eggs are going into the HC/Z-Pack basket because there just hasn't been much in the way of repeatable results elsewhere.
[Reply]
SupDock 04:27 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
That is stupid. I would expect a test or they can eat the $35k minimum that the treatment costs.
There are not enough tests, which is why they are not testing everyone.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:30 PM 03-25-2020
it'll be stupid once there is a meaningful supply of readily available tests that can be quickly processed.

But right now there's still a backlog and those 'instant read' sort of tests seem to be trickling through at best. From what I can see the vast majority of results are in the 4 day range still for a variety of reasons.

With that being the case you still only test the clearly symptomatic (or, IMO, healthcare professionals) and realize that in the 4 days it'll take to get a result on the rest, your hand will have already likely been played for you. For the vast VAST majority of those cases they'll have settled into a 'stay home and feel like shit but there's little to do beyond that' realm or they'll need to be admitted for more significant treatment.

Unless/until we can actually administer tests quickly enough to get results that will determine the course of treatment - there's real benefit to not clogging up labs that could be addressing more critical cases or front-line healthcare providers.

It's essentially triage on a testing scale, for lack of a better way of putting it.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 04:31 PM 03-25-2020
Hopefully a bit of good news. Italy researchers think the virus has a stable genome which will make a vaccine more effective. Sorry if repost.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/coro...ver-many-years
[Reply]
Bob Dole 04:33 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
There are not enough tests, which is why they are not testing everyone.
I just got home from the clinic because my panic stricken boss demanded a doctor's release for me to come back to work because I called in Monday because the pollen was kicking my ass and I didn't think I should be walking around the store coughing constantly. They have 5 test kits, and you have to meet 3 criteria before they will burn one.
[Reply]
SupDock 04:38 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
I just got home from the clinic because my panic stricken boss demanded a doctor's release for me to come back to work because I called in Monday because the pollen was kicking my ass and I didn't think I should be walking around the store coughing constantly. They have 5 test kits, and you have to meet 3 criteria before they will burn one.
Unfortunately, your doctor has very little ability to tell of you have Covid-19 or not. It's a tough position for a healthcare provider.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 04:40 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
it'll be stupid once there is a meaningful supply of readily available tests that can be quickly processed.

But right now there's still a backlog and those 'instant read' sort of tests seem to be trickling through at best. From what I can see the vast majority of results are in the 4 day range still for a variety of reasons.

With that being the case you still only test the clearly symptomatic (or, IMO, healthcare professionals) and realize that in the 4 days it'll take to get a result on the rest, your hand will have already likely been played for you. For the vast VAST majority of those cases they'll have settled into a 'stay home and feel like shit but there's little to do beyond that' realm or they'll need to be admitted for more significant treatment.

Unless/until we can actually administer tests quickly enough to get results that will determine the course of treatment - there's real benefit to not clogging up labs that could be addressing more critical cases or front-line healthcare providers.

It's essentially triage on a testing scale, for lack of a better way of putting it.
It seems that it would be a choice on their part since NY which has more than half the entire amount of cases is still testing people. It would make no sense that LA could not test people.
[Reply]
SupDock 04:46 PM 03-25-2020
It seems that it would be a choice on their part since NY which has more than half the entire amount of cases is still testing people. It would make no sense that LA could not test people.
Perhaps they are assuming critical patients with characteristic exam findings are positive?
Interesting
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:47 PM 03-25-2020
The LA ER's are not testing because so few tests are available at this point and they don't want to waste them on the obvious.

So if you're showing a high fever, cough and respiratory issues, you'll get treatment as soon as possible.
[Reply]
Page 748 of 3903
« First < 248648698738744745746747748 74975075175275879884812481748 > Last »
Up