ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>6 surprise prospects for Chiefs in first round of 2021 NFL draft
htismaqe 10:36 PM 04-15-2021
https://news.yahoo.com/6-surprise-pr...120041412.html

By now you’ve probably seen well over a dozen different scenarios with various prospects selected for the Kansas City Chiefs in the first round of the 2021 NFL draft. There’s plenty of repetition and some names that fans have probably become familiar with in mock drafts. However, there’s always a handful of players selected that sneak into the first round of the draft and surprise some people.

Here’s a quick look at six of those players who could potentially surprise Chiefs fans at pick No. 31:

TCU DB Trevon Moehrig

All but one safety currently under contract with the Chiefs is set to become a free agent in 2022. The Chiefs use their safeties often and they're pretty important to the success of Steve Spagnuolo's defense. Moehrig is widely considered to be the top safety in the draft because of his ball skills and range. If the Chiefs don't intend to re-sign important pieces like Daniel Sorensen and Tyrann Mathieu in 2022, this could be a way to help offset those losses and address a future need.

Alabama DT Christian Barmore

Barmore is a player that the NFL is reportedly higher on than most members of the media. He was among the first 10 players to accept invitations to attend the 2021 NFL draft in Cleveland, which is typically a good sign that the player will be drafted early. The Chiefs added Jarran Reed this offseason and have quite a bit of depth on the interior defensive line already, but if Barmore is the best player on their draft board I could see Kansas City making the investment. They'd probably have to play Chris Jones as an edge rusher a bit more frequently to get the best four guys on the field.

Northern Iowa OT Spencer Brown

This wouldn't be the first time that a super-athletic draft prospect made his way into the first round. Anyone remember a guy by the name of Dontari Poe. Brown is a bit more prolific an athlete compared to Poe, at least if we're to believe his pro day numbers are accurate. He basically posted the top athletic testing numbers of all-time for an offensive tackle. Brown's freakish athleticism combined with the Chiefs' blatant need for a left tackle and who knows what happens. Maybe they fall in love with the player and swing for the fences at pick No. 31.

Florida State CB Asante Samuel Jr.

A lot of people haven't ruled out a cornerback in the first round and for good reason. There's a pretty stunning history of great players at this position coming out of the back half of the first round. FSU CB Asante Samuel Jr. is one player that probably isn't talked about enough, both as a first-rounder and as an option for the Chiefs. His father had some of his best seasons as a professional playing for Andy Reid in Philadelphia. Samuel Jr. is also a player that seems to have a lot of interest, holding virtual pre-draft meetings with 24 teams, including seven teams who have met with him multiple times per The Draft Network's Justin Melo.

Florida OT Stone Forsythe

You probably know by now that the Chiefs ran the offensive line drills at the University of Florida pro day. With news that there's quite a bit of variance in the offensive line rankings around the league, I wouldn't be shocked to find out that Kansas City is higher on Forsythe than other teams. I could see them taking him as early as pick No. 31 because he excels in pass protection and has rare movement skills for a player of his size. He's not quite the athlete that Spencer Brown is, but he still posted very good numbers at his pro day.

Oklahoma C Creed Humphrey

The Cowboys drafted Travis Frederick at pick No. 31 a few years back and for a good while he was regarded as one of the top centers in the NFL. Humphrey is also in a similar boat as Northern Iowa's Spencer Brown in terms of his athleticism. His numbers from his pro day place him in some rare company and that alone could intrigue a team like the Chiefs.
[Reply]
Stryker 06:02 PM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
I would be stone cold shocked if the Chiefs pick any of those offensive linemen in the first round.

There are simply better options in Sam Cosmi (who I genuinely think the Chiefs want), Liam Eichenberg (who I don't), and others. And with the Chiefs bringing back Sorensen and almost certainly extending Mathieu, they're rolling into the season with the same safety depth that got them to two Super Bowls, so I can't see them opting for Moehrig -- especially since the one safety we have under contract beyond this year, which the article mentions, is a Moehrig type in Juan Thornhill.

But mostly, I think we're all making this more complicated than it is.

Brett Veach was willing to sell his soul for Trent Williams. That tells us the team is (a.) desperate to fill that LT slot, and (b.) Veach regards that LT spot as maybe the most important on the roster aside from QB.

If that's the case, he's going to try to sell his soul in this draft to move up and get the tackle he wants.

Which, as I've said in other threads, is either Slater or Darrisaw, but probably Darrisaw. Honestly if Veach thought trading something relatively modest like next year's 1st rounder would land him Penei Sewell, he'd probably do it.

Veach hotly desires a stud LT. We're wasting our time thinking he wants anything else until that slot gets filled, and he's going to use the 1st round to do it. And I really, really doubt he's going to sit at 31 and "take value." He's going to go get the guy he wants.
Darrisaw

So, for the sake of discussion, what would it take to move ahead of the Chargers pick @ 13 or possibly above the Colts @ 21. So (a) where do you feel he actually falls and (b) what spot would you pinpoint to get him? I think that is the tricky part of it all. How high is "too" high and how "low" is a miss on said prospect. It is a gamble.
[Reply]
BlackOp 09:03 PM 04-16-2021
TCU DB Trevon Moehrig

I think if this guy is there when KC picks...he might be the play.

I haven't been following the draft or football at all...but if the top safety is there at the bottom, they have to consider it. HoneyBadger is expensive...Do you take the 5-6 OT/WR or the best at their position?

I doubt he drops that far..someone a few picks before KC will be thinking the same.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:08 AM 04-17-2021
Originally Posted by Stryker:
Darrisaw

So, for the sake of discussion, what would it take to move ahead of the Chargers pick @ 13 or possibly above the Colts @ 21. So (a) where do you feel he actually falls and (b) what spot would you pinpoint to get him? I think that is the tricky part of it all. How high is "too" high and how "low" is a miss on said prospect. It is a gamble.
I think Darrisaw goes to the Chargers at 13. To go from 31 to 12 would like cost this year's 1st, next year's 1st, and probably this year's 3rd or next year's 2nd rounder.

It's just not going to happen unless he somehow gets past the Chargers AND Vikings, who pick right after the Chargers.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:09 AM 04-17-2021
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
TCU DB Trevon Moehrig

I think if this guy is there when KC picks...he might be the play.

I haven't been following the draft or football at all...but if the top safety is there at the bottom, they have to consider it. HoneyBadger is expensive...Do you take the 5-6 OT/WR or the best at their position?

I doubt he drops that far..someone a few picks before KC will be thinking the same.
Moehrig is more like Thornhill than Matthieu, that's kind of the issue.
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:29 AM 04-17-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I think Darrisaw goes to the Chargers at 13. To go from 31 to 12 would like cost this year's 1st, next year's 1st, and probably this year's 3rd or next year's 2nd rounder.

It's just not going to happen unless he somehow gets past the Chargers AND Vikings, who pick right after the Chargers.
Then Slater falls.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 08:41 AM 04-17-2021
Would Landon Dickerson work for this list?
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:58 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Then Slater falls.
That assumes that both Sewell and Slater get past the Bengals, Dolphins, Panthers, AND Cowboys.

I think Darrisaw is the 3rd tackle off the board and it's at 13 to the Chargers.
[Reply]
Stryker 07:16 PM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:

I agree but was just asking for the sake of discussion.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 07:24 PM 04-19-2021
I like Spencer Brown, played 8 man football in Iowa and progressed nicely at UNI... End of the 2nd would be a better fit for him though.
[Reply]
In58men 04-19-2021, 07:42 PM
This message has been deleted by In58men.
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up