ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Dane Brugler 7 round mock draft
The Franchise 04:10 PM 04-14-2021
31. Kansas City Chiefs – Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama

The Chiefs have made necessary additions on the interior this offseason, but offensive tackle is a position that the organization must address through the draft. Leatherwood is a guard for some and a tackle for others. Regardless, he is a battle-tested blocker ready to start from day one.

63. Kansas City Chiefs – Aaron Robinson, CB, UCF

94. Kansas City Chiefs – Nico Collins, Michigan

136. Kansas City Chiefs – Patrick Jones, DE, Pittsburgh

144. Kansas City Chiefs – Michal Menet, OC, Penn State

175. Kansas City Chiefs – Kenny Yeboah, TE, Ole Miss

181. Kansas City Chiefs – Buddy Johnson, LB, Texas A&M

207. Kansas City Chiefs – Jamien Sherwood, S, Auburn
[Reply]
chiefforlife 05:13 PM 04-14-2021
Me no likey...
[Reply]
staylor26 05:30 PM 04-14-2021
Eh not bad, but not great either.

I really like the last 5 picks, but the first 3 are a little underwhelming.

I have been more and more intrigued by Collins in the 3rd though.
[Reply]
Kellerfox 05:40 PM 04-14-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Eh not bad, but not great either.

I really like the last 6 picks, but the first 3 are a little underwhelming.

I have been more and more intrigued by Collins in the 3rd though.
Agree with your take.

He has Cosmi going at #47 to the Chargers, swap him with Leatherwood and I like the first round better.

I like Robinson, just think it strategically makes sense to address other positions at #63. I’m fine with Robinson though.

He has Tylan Wallace going #96, two selections after we take Nico Collins. I’d personally take Wallace over Collins.

Make those two adjustments (Cosmi and Wallace) and this would feel like a pretty solid draft class to me.
[Reply]
Bowser 07:06 PM 04-14-2021
I've got no blood flow reading that mock
[Reply]
In58men 07:30 PM 04-14-2021
I was horny until I read this mock.

Definitely underwhelming
[Reply]
Dull Tools 04:08 AM 04-15-2021
I quite like it. I like Leatherwood but would rather Cosmi at 31.

I like the idea of trading back to around 40 to get Leatherwood and pick up an extra pick later on.

I like Robinson at corner and Collins is a good option. Would rather have Dyami Brown and Marco Wilson though if you flipped the picks.

Don't like Menet at 144. Would rather Trey Hill.
[Reply]
Dull Tools 04-15-2021, 04:08 AM
This message has been deleted by Dull Tools.
KChiefs1 07:08 AM 04-15-2021
https://theathletic.com/2520063/2021...nd-mock-draft/

Is Alex Leatherwood the Chiefs’ best choice at tackle? Reacting to Dane Brugler’s 7-round mock draft
by
Nate Taylor

Originally Posted by :
Just a few weeks until the NFL Draft, we’ve officially entered the prime of Dane Brugler’s season. Brugler, The Athletic’s NFL Draft analyst, has dropped two of his most anticipated evaluations this week: His annual draft guide — known as “The Beast” — and his full seven-round mock draft, which was published Wednesday.

Brugler is one of the analysts, along with Daniel Jeremiah from the NFL Network and Brandon Thorn from the Trench Warfare Newsletter, that I trust the most when it comes to the draft. I highly recommend you check out Brugler’s work both before the draft and during it, which begins with the first round on April 29 at 7 p.m. CT.

Brugler’s selections for the Chiefs are really fascinating for a couple of reasons, as I anticipate that many subscribers who follow our Chiefs coverage will share their thoughts in the comments section.

It’s hard to argue against or fully disagree with Brugler’s mock, especially considering he spends hours upon hours researching and evaluating the hundreds of prospects who will hear their name called during the draft’s three-day festivities. With that said, this is a great exercise to analyze Brugler’s picks for the Chiefs and offer my thoughts and insight about the potential fits and draft strategy aligning with where the team’s roster is after the first two waves of the league’s free agency period.

As expected, Brugler addressed the many needs the Chiefs have ahead of the draft. Yet there are a few selections that I think the Chiefs could take a different route. Let’s dive in …

Round 1, No. 31 overall: Alex Leatherwood, OT/G, Alabama

Brugler’s breakdown: Listed at 6-foot-5 and 312 pounds, Leatherwood is Brugler’s third-ranked guard. Brugler projects him to be a more of a guard the majority of his career and ranks him as the 34th overall prospect in this draft class.

“He plays like a robot because he is so consistent with his posture and technique, but also because of some stiffness in his lower body,” Brugler said of Leatherwood. “Overall, Leatherwood has the physical makeup to survive on the edges, but his long-term future might be better suited at guard, offering the position flexibility and steady temperament to be a Day 1 NFL starter.”

My take: The Chiefs are in somewhat of a tough spot. They have a major need for the first round and every other team knows it, which might make it difficult for general manager Brett Veach to execute a trade to move up a few spots if they have a tackle prospect they clearly covet who is still available toward the end of the first round. But Veach has a history of pulling off trades during the draft, so such a scenario likely wouldn’t mean that the Chiefs would move up for Leatherwood.

But if it were to cost the Chiefs too much to trade up, it’s understandable to see why Veach and coach Andy Reid would take a small gamble with Leatherwood. In the past two seasons at Alabama, Leatherwood was an above-average left tackle while playing on the best offensive line in the country. A unanimous first-team All-American last season, Leatherwood quite possibly could be the Chiefs’ starting left tackle in Week 1. Highlights of Leatherwood show that he has proper patience, footwork and hand placement when going against talented pass rushers.

During Alabama’s pro day, Leatherwood made it clear that he wants to start his NFL career as a tackle. He mentioned that he has studied the film of tackles such as Trent Williams, David Bakhtiari and a couple of his former teammates in Jonah Williams and Jedrick Wills Jr.

“I just watch what they do well and the things that help them succeed and apply that to my game,” Leatherwood said then. “You can’t have your whole game (modeled) after one person because everybody is different. Everybody has different strengths and weaknesses and skill sets.

“We run a very pro-style system, so I’m used to all schemes. I can do it all because I’ve played through it all. I’ve done zone schemes, gap schemes, all of it. I’m built to do anything.”

Based on Brugler’s mock, Teven Jenkins, a tackle from Oklahoma State, is projected to be selected by the Bears with the 20th pick. As I wrote in my most recent mock draft, I think Jenkins becoming a Chief — likely through the team trading up — is the dream scenario since he has the technique and the athleticism to be the best possible option at left tackle to help protect superstar quarterback Patrick Mahomes.

Jenkins, though, is getting plenty of buzz from scouts and analysts, so it might come down to whether the Chiefs feel they desperately need to take a tackle with the 31st pick — which is likely to happen — over being patient enough to make a trade for a tackle prospect in the second round. The latter might not be a bad idea for Veach. The Chiefs could prioritize an edge rusher they have higher on their draft board then select either Samuel Cosmi (Texas) or Liam Eichenberg (Notre Dame) as their tackle in the second round.

Round 2, No. 63 overall: Aaron Robinson, CB, Central Florida

Brugler’s breakdown: Robinson, listed at 5-foot-11 and 186 pounds, is the 11th-ranked cornerback. Projected to work mostly as the nickel, Robinson does provide something the Chiefs love with cornerbacks: versatility. Robinson is more than capable of playing on the perimeter when considering certain matchups he might see in the NFL. Another positive for Robinson is that he produced one of the fastest 40-yard dash times at his position, running the event in 4.38 seconds. In this pass-happy league, a team can never have too many cornerbacks — and Robinson would help replace some of the production if the Chiefs don’t re-sign veteran cornerback Bashaud Breeland.

“He reacts quickly to find the football, but his mental process isn’t a strength to his game,” Brugler said of Robinson. “Overall, Robinson needs to add more discipline and anticipation to his play style, but he boasts NFL-level athleticism and toughness with the inside/outside versatility to play various roles in an NFL secondary.”

My take: This prospect, at least at this spot in the draft, feels too much like a luxury pick for the Chiefs.

Midway through last season, I was pretty clear in assessing that the strongest part of the Chiefs’ defense was their secondary. Defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo has a nice group of cornerbacks, all of whom are either in the prime of their career or entering that stage, returning next season in Charvarius Ward, L’Jarius Sneed, Rashad Fenton, DeAndre Baker and BoPete Keyes. Based on previous drafts under Veach’s guidance, it’s logical to believe the Chiefs can identify, select and develop another young cornerback for the upcoming season without having to use a second-round pick to get that player.

Other prospects who were available at the 63rd pick in Brugler’s mock that I would be more interested in for the Chiefs were tight end Brevin Jordan (Miami), receiver Amari Rodgers (Clemson), tight end Tommy Tremble (Notre Dame) and edge Ronnie Perkins (Oklahoma).

Round 3, No. 94 overall: Nico Collins, WR, Michigan

Brugler’s breakdown: An all-around talented receiver, Collins would be a nice selection for the Chiefs, who definitely want to use the draft to give Mahomes another skill-position player. Listed at 6-foot-4 and 215 pounds, Collins is somewhat bigger than most of the receivers the Chiefs have had since Mahomes became their leading man. One reason Collins might be dependable for the Chiefs is that he has the mix of being a speed receiver who is capable of running smooth routes at his size. Collins is Brugler’s 13th-ranked receiver, as he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.45 seconds.

“Collins is a plus athlete for his size with the foot quickness and body control to win above the rim,” Brugler said. “Collins isn’t a sudden or energetic player who will consistently separate underneath, but he is an impressive height, weight, speed prospect with the smooth routes and dependability to push for an NFL starting role (N’Keal Harry-style player).”

My take: This is a pick I can totally agree with. Collins is the best fit compared to the other prospects — such as defensive tackle Jay Tufele (USC), receiver Tylan Wallace (Oklahoma State) and offensive lineman Jackson Carman (Clemson) — who were still on the board before the 94th pick. By selecting Collins, the Chiefs would have a different type of receiver to pair alongside speed guys Tyreek Hill and Mecole Hardman.

I also agree with Brugler that Collins’ production has a chance to increase in the NFL, especially with Mahomes as his quarterback. In his last two seasons at Michigan (before he opted out of last season amid the coronavirus pandemic), Collins produced 75 receptions for 1,361 yards and 13 touchdowns. If Collins can be consistent as a possession receiver while playing around Hill, Hardman and star tight Travis Kelce, the Chiefs would be thrilled with the value they received from such a third-round pick.

Round 4, No. 136 overall: Patrick Jones II, edge, Pittsburgh

Brugler’s breakdown: Jones is the 14th-ranked pass rusher, which would be a nice value selection for the Chiefs. Listed at 6-foot-4 and 261 pounds, Jones fits within the prototype that Spagnuolo wants from his defensive ends. On film, he has a closing speed that is impressive that is necessary in the NFL when chasing mobile quarterbacks. As a starter the past two seasons at Pittsburgh, Jones collected 17.5 sacks and proved to be a durable player.

“A pin-your-ears-back rusher, Jones plays his tail off and when he finds a pursuit/rush lane, it’s like a bull seeing red,” Brugler said. “However, he is an ‘all gas, no brakes’ type of player, which is both a compliment (speed, effort) and a concern (inconsistent handwork, over-running plays). He projects as a potential NFL starter in a 4-3 base.”

My take: I freakin’ love this selection for the Chiefs. And honestly, given how valuable pass rushers are in this league, I’d be pretty surprised if Jones is still available with the 136th pick. But if Brugler’s mock is correct, the Chiefs should be thrilled to acquire a proven prospect who has shown throughout his college career that he is talented and an above-average worker. Doesn’t that sound similar to the initial reaction last year when the Chiefs selected Sneed in the fourth round with the 138th pick?

The perfect scenario would be that the Chiefs select Jones then sign veteran defensive end Melvin Ingram, who has already visited the team during free agency, to a one-year deal.

Round 4, No. 144 overall (compensatory): Michal Menet, C, Penn State

Brugler’s breakdown: Although he might be the most athletic center, Menet is a solid prospect who has the potential to become a starter later in his career. Menet is the sixth-ranked center, and he was a three-year starter at Penn State who never missed a game.

“Menet is a smooth, technically sound blocker who sees things quickly and maintains balance at contact,” Brugler said. “Menet lacks explosive or overwhelming traits, but he is technically focused with functional strength and movements in space to be a rock-solid pro.”

My take: With the Chiefs signing veteran center Austin Blythe to a one-year deal earlier this month to be the starter, it makes sense for the Chiefs to use a mid-round pick on a center who could compete for that role after the upcoming season. The Chiefs need depth at the position, too. Blythe’s lone backup on the roster entering the draft is Nick Allegretti, a third-year player who played nine games last season at left guard. If all goes well, the Chiefs would coach and develop Menet throughout most of his rookie season then get a look at him in a game toward the end of the regular season once the team secures a playoff spot.

Round 5, No. 175: Kenny Yeboah, TE, Ole Miss
Round 5, No. 181 (compensatory): Buddy Johnson, LB, Texas A&M
Round 6, No. 207: Jamien Sherwood, S, Auburn

Brugler finishes his mock draft by selecting three prospects for the Chiefs who would all have a decent chance to make the team’s 53-man roster for opening day. And finally, Brugler agrees with what I’ve advised the Chiefs to do in previous drafts: select a tight end.

“A high school wide receiver, Yeboah has the field-stretching speed to attack the seam and be productive against linebackers before and after the catch,” Brugler said. “Overall, Yeboah will be limited as a blocker vs. NFL-level defenders, but he has functional athleticism and pass-catching traits.”

The Chiefs definitely need to add another linebacker to the roster after veteran starter Damien Wilson signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars in free agency. Johnson, the 15th-ranked linebacker, has pretty good speed and he led Texas A&M in tackles the past two years. It’s possible that Johnson thrives on special teams before earning a role in Spagnuolo’s defense.

Sherwood is the 16th-ranked safety who projects to be a possible four-phase player on special teams. If he makes a sizable improvement during his NFL career, Sherwood might be able to fulfill the versatile role that Daniel Sorensen, an eight-year veteran, has had the past two years under Spagnuolo.

Overall:

I wouldn’t grade this draft class as a spectacular one for the Chiefs, but these prospects could give the team valuable production while being supported by a core of star teammates and smart coaches. The biggest upside for the Chiefs through Brugler’s mock is that there would no longer be glaring holes on the roster when training camp begins. And of course, we must remember that this mock draft didn’t involve trades. With Veach, it’s more than possible that the Chiefs trade up a time or two to select prospects they want to play specific roles to ensure the team remains dominant during the prime of Mahomes’ career.

[Reply]
htismaqe 07:51 AM 04-15-2021
Leatherwood at 31 or trading up for Jenkins?

Give me Leatherwood.

I just don't think Jenkins is THAT much better of a LT prospect. The knocks on Leatherwood are the same for Jenkins - lower body stiffness, lack of foot speed, etc.
[Reply]
The Franchise 07:57 AM 04-15-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Leatherwood at 31 or trading up for Jenkins?

Give me Leatherwood.

I just don't think Jenkins is THAT much better of a LT prospect. The knocks on Leatherwood are the same for Jenkins - lower body stiffness, lack of foot speed, etc.
Leatherwood has no power. I don’t want him anywhere in the draft.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:00 AM 04-15-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Leatherwood has no power. I don’t want him anywhere in the draft.
Jenkins has a punch but has so little lateral mobility. He's not going to be able to play LT in Andy Reid's system where he's out on an island. For the Chiefs, he'd probably be a guard.

I'm just not down with that.
[Reply]
The Franchise 08:51 AM 04-15-2021
Jenkins has a punch but has so little lateral mobility. He's not going to be able to play LT in Andy Reid's system where he's out on an island. For the Chiefs, he'd probably be a guard.

I'm just not down with that.
Which is fine. I just don’t want Leatherwood.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:52 AM 04-15-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Which is fine. I just don’t want Leatherwood.
In an ideal scenario, we'd be picking someone other than either of them.

But if forced to choose between the two, Leatherwood seems to be the better fit, at least to me.

Again, neither is ideal.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:55 AM 04-15-2021
Honestly, in that 2nd cluster of guys with late 1st round grades, I'd take Cosmi.

Here's my ideal picks if I went by "clusters":

Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw - Darrisaw

Jenkins, Mayfield, Eichenberg - Cosmo

Brown, Little, Radunz - Brown

The rest are just too numerous to go through but that covers to about the end of the 2nd round.
[Reply]
The Franchise 08:56 AM 04-15-2021
In an ideal scenario, we'd be picking someone other than either of them.

But if forced to choose between the two, Leatherwood seems to be the better fit, at least to me.

Again, neither is ideal.
With how it played out in his draft....I’m either taking Cosmi at 31 or Tryon and Little at 63.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up