ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 140 of 319
« First < 4090130136137138139140 141142143144150190240 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Veach's '21 Offseason Plan to Keep Us Thriving: Let's speculate
Dante84 10:03 AM 02-08-2021
In order to prevent us wasting precious years of Patrick Mahomes' career, Veach needs to work some magic this offseason. What's your advice for him?
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:57 PM 03-02-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I think Fisher will be on PUP. Probably a mid season return and that would be 9 months
Veach said Fisher would be available for camp, for whatever that's worth, and "ready" by August.

He'll play before midseason.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:59 PM 03-02-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I think he’ll be out of our price range, but we’ll see.
He's going to get tagged from what I'm seeing now.
[Reply]
Bowser 01:00 PM 03-02-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Veach said Fisher would be available for camp, for whatever that's worth, and "ready" by August.

He'll play before midseason.
Question - what are the rules of PUP vs. the new IR designation? There is a minimum number of weeks a player has to be out to be placed under either, correct?
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:03 PM 03-02-2021
Originally Posted by BossChief:
He flat out said the blueprint of the offseason is to upgrade the lines and LB.

I didn’t come t any dots, I simply listened to the interview.

I even listened to the whole thing a second time thinking maybe o missed something. I didn’t.

When he’s talking about depth of the draft, he NEVER mentions linebacker. He specifically mentions OL, WR and CB.

I think you should listen to the whole thing yourself.

This whole thing started when I mentioned that LB might be a position they target early in the draft (first 3 rounds, maybe even as high as pick 31, depending on who’s there) and you put me on blast for it. I even went into detail about why I felt LB was a priority.

You put me on blast again yesterday for pointing out in Veaches interview he said OL, DL and LB are their focus...acting like I didn’t even understand what he said, when you clearly don’t.
Dude, look at what you just wrote.

This all started with you talking about drafting a LB early in the draft.

Veach said the offseason priorities include DL, OL, and LB's. Agreed?

And Veach then talked about the depth of the draft, including CB and WR, but NOT LB. Agreed?

How in God's name do you end up back at drafting a LB early based on those 2 things? Would you not think, possibly, that based on LB being a priority but not being a super deep class, that maybe, just maybe, LB is a target in this thing called Free Agency that starts in a month?
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:05 PM 03-02-2021
So would I, but I’ve heard it from multiple people that he has a good chance of either taking a pay cut to stay or getting cut and then PFF did an article on what’s the player to be cut from each team and they made it seem like it’s the no brained of the Chiefs offseason...so I don’t know what to think about it. I’m a Hawkeye fan and think Hitchens has been trash every year he’s been here. The fact he upped his game in 2020 to be just serviceable isn’t good enough. He’s not an impact player but is paid like one.

He’s a liability in a lot of sets and that’s evidenced by how much guys like Neiman played.
Yeah man, a lot of these people that say cutting Hitchens is a no-brainer probably think Sammy Watkins is our most important free agent to re-sign too. There's a lot of bad takes out there.

For sure, we need an upgrade over Hitchens but it's not all going to happen in one year. They could definitely find a guy in the draft to eventually replace him but I doubt they're going to have a rookie calling their defense week 1.
[Reply]
BossChief 01:23 PM 03-02-2021
Dude, look at what you just wrote.

This all started with you talking about drafting a LB early in the draft.

Veach said the offseason priorities include DL, OL, and LB's. Agreed?

And Veach then talked about the depth of the draft, including CB and WR, but NOT LB. Agreed?

How in God's name do you end up back at drafting a LB early based on those 2 things? Would you not think, possibly, that based on LB being a priority but not being a super deep class, that maybe, just maybe, LB is a target in this thing called Free Agency that starts in a month?
That’s the premise of my opinion in the first place. If they can’t get a good LB in FA and one of the top 2 (maybe 3, depending on how they view the fit) LBers are there when they pick at 31 or their pick in the second, they will strongly consider using that pick on one to give us 2 3down linebackers for the defense.

I see 2-3 of the linebackers in this class as either blue chip or close to blue chip guys.

Wanna make a wager?
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:54 PM 03-02-2021
That’s the premise of my opinion in the first place. If they can’t get a good LB in FA and one of the top 2 (maybe 3, depending on how they view the fit) LBers are there when they pick at 31 or their pick in the second, they will strongly consider using that pick on one to give us 2 3down linebackers for the defense.

I see 2-3 of the linebackers in this class as either blue chip or close to blue chip guys.

Wanna make a wager?
Collins is the only guy that realistically is both a 3-down, do everything, player and will be likely be available at 31.

Who other than Collins would you target at 31?

That's really what this comes down to. Picking a LB at 63 is completely different than picking one at 31, especially considering the quality and depth at DE and OT in this draft and that fact that people want the offensive line burned to the ground and rebuilt.

How you gonna do that if you spend draft picks on linebackers?
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 02:36 PM 03-02-2021
Collins is the only guy that realistically is both a 3-down, do everything, player and will be likely be available at 31.

That's really what this comes down to. Picking a LB at 63 is completely different than picking one at 31, especially considering the quality and depth at DE and OT in this draft and that fact that people want the offensive line burned to the ground and rebuilt.

The Jabrill Cox kid from LSU is getting a lot of buzz from folks in Chiefs media as well as Collins. The fact that Veach mentioned LB tells us all we need to know.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:39 PM 03-02-2021
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
The Jabrill Cox kid from LSU is getting a lot of buzz from folks in Chiefs media as well as Collins. The fact that Veach mentioned LB tells us all we need to know.
Cox is a good option as well and depending on how his personal workouts go, could be available anywhere from our pick at 63 to our pick at the end of the 3rd.
[Reply]
BossChief 02:44 PM 03-02-2021

No, I wouldn't like taking Collins at #31. I think that's a terrible use of resources. That being said, I will be the least of the board's worries if this team takes ANYTHING other than OL with that pick.

I’m pleased to hear the news about Fisher and Schwartz and glad we won’t need to pump major resources into OT for an immediate player or 2. It opens up the possibility of significantly upgrading center with Linsley, but even that may not come to fruition.

I see a couple of the other LBers as having upside of a 3 down linebacker with work (Parsons, Moses and a couple others) but they hold more risk than Collins and will also require more work to get their upside realized. I’d prefer those kinds of prospects after a trade down or in the second round, but I wouldn’t be mad if Veach takes one of them.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:54 PM 03-02-2021
I’m pleased to hear the news about Fisher and Schwartz and glad we won’t need to pump major resources into OT for an immediate player or 2. It opens up the possibility of significantly upgrading center with Linsley, but even that may not come to fruition.

I see a couple of the other LBers as having upside of a 3 down linebacker with work (Parsons, Moses and a couple others) but they hold more risk than Collins and will also require more work to get their upside realized. I’d prefer those kinds of prospects after a trade down or in the second round, but I wouldn’t be mad if Veach takes one of them.
Parsons won't ever get to 31. He's probably a top 20 pick even with the character concerns.

Moses is way overrated. There will be better options in the 2nd and 3rd than him, IMO.

And in reality, we're really in the same place.

I don't have a problem with them drafting a LB. I don't have a problem with them drafting an OT.

What I have a problem with is that this team should have a singular focus at any point in the draft. There is nothing this team needs so badly that all other concerns should be tossed aside and ignored.

This team still needs WR's, DE's, and DB's, all of which are more valuable in this system than LB's and IOL. That doesn't mean they shouldn't draft a LB, it just means they should let the board play out and take the best player, at a position of need, and holds the best value. That could be Zaven Collins or it might be Rashad Bateman. I trust these guys to know what they're doing.

The Chiefs should be approaching this with eyes wide open, not with one arm tied behind their backs.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:13 PM 03-02-2021
I think Fisher will be on PUP. Probably a mid season return and that would be 9 months
Fisher was injured in late January and had surgery on January 29th. Mid-Season would be sometime in November.

If Veach thinks he'll be ready by Training Camp in August, Fisher will have had 6 full months of rehab to that point, with another 6 weeks before the season begins.

Even if it takes a full nine months before he's returned to the starting lineup, we're looking at October 1, 2021, not late November or December.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:16 PM 03-02-2021
Wow Kyle Van Noy just got released. Not sure how much he’ll cost but I’d take a look
Originally Posted by O.city:
Hip injury scares me a bit.
Van Noy received $15 million to play for the Dolphins for one year.

He'll be on the other side of 30 when the 2021 season begins and will be rehabbing a hip injury this offseason, so unless he's willing to play for Vet Minimum, I don't think the Chiefs will be interested.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:16 PM 03-02-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Fisher was injured in late January and had surgery on January 29th. Mid-Season would be sometime in November.

If Veach thinks he'll be ready by Training Camp in August, Fisher will have had 6 full months of rehab to that point, with another 6 weeks before the season begins.

Even if it takes a full nine months before he's returned to the starting lineup, we're looking at October 1, 2021, not late November or December.
Yep.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:17 PM 03-02-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Van Noy received $15 million to play for the Dolphins for one year.

He'll be on the other side of 30 when the 2021 season begins and will be rehabbing his hip injury, so unless he's willing to play for Vet Minimum, I don't think the Chiefs will be interested.
I asked this in the other thread but is the guy ever fully healthy? Maybe my memory is failing me but it seems like the guy is always banged up.
[Reply]
Page 140 of 319
« First < 4090130136137138139140 141142143144150190240 > Last »
Up