ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 53
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****All Things Weather 2021*****
displacedinMN 06:52 PM 01-31-2021
Talk about, report, and complain about weather here. It does not matter where you live. Talk about what you got. Snow, wind, hail, storms, virga, meatballs. Give information about what city is close to you. Pics are great too.

This map can be used by anyone and moved to your area. It is customizable for you and gives a lot of information.

Live storm chasers videos https://www.severestudios.com/livechase/
Windy radar map https://www.windy.com/
Live lightning map https://map.blitzortung.org/#1/52/8
[Reply]
AndChiefs 09:50 AM 02-15-2021
We’ve been out of power since 1 AM. House is pretty well insulated so we’re still in the 60s but I’m seeing reports it won’t be on until tomorrow.
[Reply]
Graystoke 09:54 AM 02-15-2021
Originally Posted by notorious:
I bet Amazon has sold millions of space heaters.
In February 2007 180K Iowans lost power because of a Ice Storm.
I remember because all my extended family stayed with me, under candlelight and home heated by wood for about a week.
It was a zoo and all my food quickly disappeared.
At least we didn't need a freezer.
My kids still call our house the Apocalypse House.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:58 AM 02-15-2021
Originally Posted by Graystoke:
In February 2007 180K Iowans lost power because of a Ice Storm.
I remember because all my extended family stayed with me, under candlelight and home heated by wood for about a week.
It was a zoo and all my food quickly disappeared.
At least we didn't need a freezer.
My kids still call our house the Apocalypse House.
I think Breda Iowa did not have power for 2 weeks. Dad was on REC board in Calhoun County. Some lines had 20 breaks per mile. They replaced a lot of lines. Dad put in a line switch and bought an 8000 watt generator. So he can stay warm and watch cowboy movies. He used it once or twice. It had 80 hours on it when I took it.
[Reply]
notorious 10:03 AM 02-15-2021
Reading your stories it makes me happy knowing we have a gas furnace that will run without juice.
[Reply]
R Clark 10:06 AM 02-15-2021
Reading your stories it makes me happy knowing we have a gas furnace that will run without juice.
How does the fan and pilot light work? Sounds like the thing to have where I live lol
[Reply]
Graystoke 10:07 AM 02-15-2021
What about the blower or electronic igniter?
Just curious, because it has been so long since I have had a furnace. My backup heat is a electric mini split system and I only use it to cool my place, rarely for heat.
[Reply]
R Clark 10:11 AM 02-15-2021
-6 at home right now with drifting snow unfortunately I am in Nashville at my daughters looks like bout 1/2” of sleet on the ground.
[Reply]
notorious 10:11 AM 02-15-2021
What about the blower or electronic igniter?
Just curious, because it has been so long since I have had a furnace. My backup heat is a electric mini split system and I only use it to cool my place, rarely for heat.
It is an old floor furnace that only radiates heat.

We have mini-splits for A/C, and they have heat pumps but we never use them. The floor furnace is a monster.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 10:14 AM 02-15-2021
It is an old floor furnace that only radiates heat.

We have mini-splits for A/C, and they have heat pumps but we never use them. The floor furnace is a monster.

Floor furnace......Coleman? Looks like a grate.
We had one in a house- ran on LP. It was awesome.
[Reply]
notorious 10:14 AM 02-15-2021
Originally Posted by R Clark:
How does the fan and pilot light work? Sounds like the thing to have where I live lol
It's old-school.

I light the pilot with a stick lighter or blowtorch through the basement. It can be set to run continuous if the electricity goes out and the thermostat/solenoid doesn't have juice to activate the gas flow valve.
[Reply]
notorious 10:16 AM 02-15-2021
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Floor furnace......Coleman? Looks like a grate.
We had one in a house- ran on LP. It was awesome.
Similar to this, only larger.

Almost every house built before 1950 has them out here.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 10:16 AM 02-15-2021
It's old-school.

I light the pilot with a stick lighter or blowtorch through the basement. It can be set to run continuous if the electricity goes out and the thermostat/solenoid doesn't have juice to activate the gas flow valve.
?????
[Reply]
Graystoke 10:16 AM 02-15-2021
It's old-school.

Genius!
[Reply]
notorious 10:23 AM 02-15-2021
Genius!
Genius is developed through survival. The tough settlers out here had to go through some rough shit so they figured it out. :-)
[Reply]
notorious 10:24 AM 02-15-2021
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
?????
YEP!
[Reply]
Page 13 of 53
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Up