ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 180 of 223
« First < 80130170176177178179180 181182183184190 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>What are you Smoking/Grilling/BBQ'ing this weekend?
BigRedChief 03:48 PM 07-03-2015
What are you up to this weekend?

I finally gave up on my smoker and decided to get a new smoker. I went with a bigger model but less tech. Yes, its a cheater electric smoker. My 3rd one. I need more space to cook, I don't need help getting my smoke and temp right. :-)

I've also never used injection for flavor except for pork butt or other big cuts of meat. I decided to give it a try. I developed my own injection. Basically like the other recipes you have out on the internet but I'm putting the rub in the injection and using sirracchi.

Full results not in yet but my son and I think its the best sausage we have ever had.

No sauce. Marinated the meat overnight. Injected the meat. Slow cooked the ribs and chicken. Baste it with a combo of butter and apple juice. Using a combination of Apple, Mesquite, Cherry and Hickory wood.
Attached: 11539678_10205518593098849_7496287094654554585_n.jpg (58.7 KB) 11204917_10205518655060398_84193330748835473_n.jpg (107.7 KB) 11403311_10205518654740390_5737794009802538289_n.jpg (92.7 KB) 11060263_10205518594938895_5571454432064515726_n.jpg (86.7 KB) 
[Reply]
tooge 10:07 AM 02-02-2021
Pablo, my post was directed at Pooper Barrett. Not you. That prime rib looks perfect.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 11:13 AM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by Pablo:
Thanks, it was pretty damn good. First run at cooking prime rib, so of course I had to smoke it. Think next year I'll prolly splurge and get an even bigger one and do it all over again.
That looks great, my mouth was salivating as I dl'ed the pic and corrected the color.
If I had a decent smoker there would be about 8lbs of flank steak on it. There is a little smoke ring on it that just changing the color a twidge brought out. I bet the lip was outfuckingstanding.

A few years back I took to Denver, a full, prime grade, Prime Rib. I had only watched an old GF do it in a salt shell in the oven.
I cut it in half, dry brined it for 2 days in the garage fridge. Smoked 1/2 on a Hasty Bake style grill with only a big old fashioned, stick in the meat, analog thermo, nothing for air temp. After 2 hours, over oak at whatever temp, I wrapped it in cheesecloth with a good coating of Kosher salt slush packed around it until it hit the low end of rare on the thermo.

I let it rest, sliced it a few hours later then threw them on a grate that was sitting in the coals for a minute a side and served them. Had a nice sear and was about med rare in the center. It fed 4 adults and 4 tweenagers with leftovers for sammies.

I took the other 1/2 half and gave it a healthy dose of rub from a restaurant/ farm stand in city market that was marketed as "KC Que Rub". I put it on the smoker, after the smoke cleared from a chimney of charcoal and 2 big sticks of apple and a chunk of oak over the already established coals. I went inside, had a big ass drink and went to bed. About 8 AM (and 20 degrees) the fire was out but the roast still had some sign or warmth. It did not read on the antique thermo. I let it rest until it was cool enough to put in the refrige.

I let it sit in fridge for 18hrs, cut the bones off (chefs rewards) and sliced 2" steaks and grilled 'em on the grate 2" above the charcoal. Some of the best steaks I had ever had. Maybe because I had never tried smoking and grilling the next day and I was glad they didn't turn to leather.

I do not know if Costco or Sam's sells whole Prime Rib but when I have a hole in the freezer I am going to smoke, Sous Vide and them sear the piss out of them.

Once again great job.
[Reply]
Pablo 11:31 AM 02-02-2021
I do use a recipe pretty similar to yours hoover. But I like the sour cream and onion chips idea in place of corn flakes. Wife like corn flakes and I undercooked them at her request because she doesn't like them to have crispness or really any color on them. And potatoes are her thing not mine. I'd blast that fucker under the broiler if she wouldn't complain and get them crisped up. I like stuff like that nearly burnt if I had my way.

Thanks for the compliments as that was my first try at prime rib. I'll do it again next year and splurge for a better grade I think.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 05:51 PM 04-17-2021
Bump for Pork Belly Burnt Ends.
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:58 PM 04-17-2021
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Bump for Pork Belly Burnt Ends.
Nice. I think I linked up Lewdog with a recipe. How were they?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:17 PM 04-18-2021
I never smoked a turkey. This weekend was the time.
Attached: IMG_0085-1.jpg (83.2 KB) 
[Reply]
Snopes Hammer 08:22 PM 04-26-2021
Every time I passed by the meat section at Costco, the pork bellies always caught my eye. I finally picked one up along with a brisket to smoke. I also threw on some sausage and ham hocks to fill my smoker up.

Pork belly:

Why did I wait so long to cook one of these up? So tender and juicy

Brisket flat:

Brisket point:

Ham Hocks:

My sister had these from a hog they butchered. I smoked them up for my other sister's fiancé to use in his red beans and rice.

Sausage:

L to R, jalapeno cheddar brat, Italian sausage, and bratwurst. I just got these at McGonigle's Fareway. I'm experimenting with different sausages for any future BBQ contests. Italian was the best out of these three.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 08:29 PM 04-26-2021
Did a brisket, a pound of smoked ground (for lasagna later in the week),chicken breast (for the g/f's lunch), some kabobs (beef & chicken), and some brussel sprouts on the grill.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:52 PM 04-26-2021
Originally Posted by Snopes Hammer:
Every time I passed by the meat section at Costco, the pork bellies always caught my eye. I finally picked one up along with a brisket to smoke. I also threw on some sausage and ham hocks to fill my smoker up.

Pork belly:

Why did I wait so long to cook one of these up? So tender and juicy

Brisket flat:

Brisket point:

Ham Hocks:

My sister had these from a hog they butchered. I smoked them up for my other sister's fiancé to use in his red beans and rice.

Sausage:

L to R, jalapeno cheddar brat, Italian sausage, and bratwurst. I just got these at McGonigle's Fareway. I'm experimenting with different sausages for any future BBQ contests. Italian was the best out of these three.
Right on...
[Reply]
rabblerouser 06:19 PM 04-27-2021

Ends are done, chicken has a little while to go.
[Reply]
kstater 08:32 PM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I never smoked a turkey. This weekend was the time.
Spatchcock is fine, I quarter though. Can take the brine better, and can shift the smaller quarters away if needed to keep from drying out.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:49 PM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by tooge:
Pablo, my post was directed at Pooper Barrett. Not you. That prime rib looks perfect.
agreed, that looks fantastic. :-)
[Reply]
CatinKS 04:25 PM 04-30-2021
I need some advice on using my Smokey Mountain Weber. I broke it in with a pork butt on the bottom grill and a precooked ham on the top. I had a remote temp monitor with 3 probes and achieved 140 internal temp on the twice smoked ham and pull off after 2 1/2 hours. I continued to cook the pork butt with a smoker temp between 225 - 240 most of the day. The internal temp reach 148 after 5 hours, but stalled at 151 after 7 hours.

I took the walk of shame and put in in my oven to finish cooking trying to get an internal temp of 195. Do I need to cook at a higher temp next time. Any Smokey Mountain experts wish to provide me some insight.

Thanks\
[Reply]
Pablo 04:34 PM 04-30-2021
Originally Posted by CatinKS:
I need some advice on using my Smokey Mountain Weber. I broke it in with a pork butt on the bottom grill and a precooked ham on the top. I had a remote temp monitor with 3 probes and achieved 140 internal temp on the twice smoked ham and pull off after 2 1/2 hours. I continued to cook the pork butt with a smoker temp between 225 - 240 most of the day. The internal temp reach 148 after 5 hours, but stalled at 151 after 7 hours.

I took the walk of shame and put in in my oven to finish cooking trying to get an internal temp of 195. Do I need to cook at a higher temp next time. Any Smokey Mountain experts wish to provide me some insight.

Thanks\
I don't cook on the WSM, just my Weber kettle, but some thoughts:

Nothing wrong with your setup or the heat you were running if you were able to keep that constant temp. I don't run any higher than 250 on a butt. You just hit the stall is my guess. Pork butt is gonna have a stall sometime throughout the cook where the temp just doesn't move, sometimes for an hour plus.

As far as putting it in the oven, there's nothing wrong with that. It's my understanding that the meat won't really take any more smoke on after it gets to roughly 160 anyhow. What you're gonna miss out on is that deep, crusty bark. But it's a worthwhile trade at times.

I've pulled many a butt at the stall, wrapped in foil and finished in the oven. Sacrifice the crust for the ease of cooking in your oven set at 250.
[Reply]
Pablo 04:41 PM 04-30-2021
I actually kinda like wrapping it and putting it in the oven because it releases quite a bit of smoky juices that get trapped in the foil/spill onto the pan and after I shred I dump those back in the mix.
[Reply]
Page 180 of 223
« First < 80130170176177178179180 181182183184190 > Last »
Up