ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2070 of 3903
« First < 1070157019702020206020662067206820692070 207120722073207420802120217025703070 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
mr. tegu 10:59 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
If proven safe you still would not get it to protect friends and family?

By the time it’s proven safe and effective long term I don’t think it will be necessary any longer.
[Reply]
Monticore 11:01 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
By the time it’s proven safe I don’t think it will be necessary any longer.
You think it will disappear or that your community acquire immunity will last forever?
[Reply]
lewdog 11:24 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
By the time it’s proven safe and effective long term I don’t think it will be necessary any longer.
People continue to think that contracting the virus and getting permanent immunity go hand in hand.

That’s not yet proven true.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:33 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
People continue to think that contracting the virus and getting permanent immunity go hand in hand.

That’s not yet proven true.
Though it is most likely I agree so here is the take away from all of this that everyone should have; this virus is never going away. You will get this at some point in your life just like you get the cold or the flu. It is going to happen. Unless we somehow figure out literally how to kill it, you will now learn to live with it.

We have flu vaccines and people who get them still get the flu. People get colds every year. The most we can hope for is the virus eventually mutates to a less virulent form and we develop effective treatments for it.

But again at this point in time you are probably fooling yourself thinking you are never going to get this.

And that is the take I heard from a group of medical professionals yesterday so do with it what you will.

And just to clarify as they pointed out, if you get it you will most likely not be a critical case unless you have an underlying condition or are otherwise at high risk.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:41 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Though it is most likely I agree so here is the take away from all of this that everyone should have; this virus is never going away. You will get this at some point in your life just like you get the cold or the flu. It is going to happen. Unless we somehow figure out literally how to kill it, you will now learn to live with it.

We have flu vaccines and people who get them still get the flu. People get colds every year. The most we can hope for is the virus eventually mutates to a less virulent form and we develop effective treatments for it.

But again at this point in time you are probably fooling yourself thinking you are never going to get this.

And that is the take I heard from a group of medical professionals yesterday so do with it what you will.

And just to clarify as they pointed out, if you get it you will most likely not be a critical case unless you have an underlying condition or are otherwise at high risk.
If the vaccine provides immunity for 2-3 years it's definitely feasible that you could largely eradicate it in developed countries, because it's not nearly as contagious as the measles, and anti-vax idiots aren't numerous enough to provide a sufficient reservoir.

The flu is a poor comparison because there are four strains that we vaccinate for and all have substantial antigenic shift.
[Reply]
Monticore 11:46 AM 05-15-2020

Not everyone has gotten influenza and some might never get it.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:50 AM 05-15-2020
Not everyone has gotten influenza and some might never get it.
Really, that's what you are rolling with? At any other time you are saying how much more contagious this is than the flu and now you roll this out?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Monticore 11:51 AM 05-15-2020
Really, that's what you are rolling with? At any other time you are saying how much more contagious this is than the flu and now you roll this out?

because of the vaccine pete, with everything you have read in here there doesn't seem to be much that you retain.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:52 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
If the vaccine provides immunity for 2-3 years it's definitely feasible that you could largely eradicate it in developed countries, because it's not nearly as contagious as the measles, and anti-vax idiots aren't numerous enough to provide a sufficient reservoir.

The flu is a poor comparison because there are four strains that we vaccinate for and all have substantial antigenic shift.
Yeah well If and when. Thus the qualification of at this point in time.

[Reply]
petegz28 11:54 AM 05-15-2020
because of the vaccine pete, with everything you have read in here there doesn't seem to be much that you retain.
Well that's super except we dont have a vaccine for this and apparently this group of people weren't going to assume we are guaranteed to have one.

[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 11:56 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:

When would you feel safe taking the vaccine? Just curious and I’m sure you’ve stated before but I’m not digging through all these pages. Most of the pharmacists I’ve worked with have been strongly against taking any vaccine that’s rushed before the end of next summer. They all obviously want one, but are very hesitant on the lack of research with anything rushed. Some of them even told me they’d want to wait at least 3 years from now.
[Reply]
limested 11:59 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED:
When would you feel safe taking the vaccine? Just curious and I’m sure you’ve stated before but I’m not digging through all these pages. Most of the pharmacists I’ve worked with have been strongly against taking any vaccine that’s rushed before the end of next summer. They all obviously want one, but are very hesitant on the lack of research with anything rushed. Some of them even told me they’d want to wait at least 3 years from now.
I will not volunteer to get a concoction injected into me that has been rushed. I would rather take my chances with the actual virus over a possibly half assed man made substance.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 12:01 PM 05-15-2020

If a vaccine does arrive there is going to be so much shaming of people who don’t want it right away.
[Reply]
Monticore 12:06 PM 05-15-2020
Well that's super except we dont have a vaccine for this and apparently this group of people weren't going to assume we are guaranteed to have one.

Letting a virus run wild is not the answer for all viruses and at this point in time they are taking a cautious approach so it doesn’t get out of control to mitigate loss of life , I understand the economic impact as well , having a viruses run wild could potentially damage the economy as well they are trying to balance the two , in every Country not just yours , some are trying to find a political angle in this But I don’t think Norway or who ever is doing this with an American political agenda behind it.

What would you recommend Pete , a referendum? Flip a coin?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:08 PM 05-15-2020
Post-marketing surveillance will bring forth rare issues you won't see in even large RCT. However, it's pretty simple to me: number needed to treat vs number needed to harm vs the fatality rate of the disease.

If the NNT is lower than NNH and the NNH translates to a lower percentage than the fatality rate for my cohort, I'd get the vaccine.
[Reply]
Page 2070 of 3903
« First < 1070157019702020206020662067206820692070 207120722073207420802120217025703070 > Last »
Up