ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2494 of 3903
« First < 1494199423942444248424902491249224932494 249524962497249825042544259429943494 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
dirk digler 10:37 AM 07-02-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
The Florida Department of Health is reporting 10,109 additional coronavirus cases, bringing the state total to 169,106, according to data released by the state.

Today's numbers mark a new record daily high of infections in the state of Florida since the start of the pandemic. The previous record was set on Saturday, when the start reported just more than 9,500 new cases.

What are the odds they break NY's daily record? I am thinking they will do it by next week.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:43 AM 07-02-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Yeah, clearly there's no run on hospitals...
In large part there isn't. You can be as smug as you want but the fact of the matter is hospitals across the country are taking hits and laying people off because elective procedures were shut down for too long. Now that you have some areas flaring up you have decreased medical staff to handle it.

So say what you want, what I said stands and is not even debatable.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:45 AM 07-02-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
What are the odds they break NY's daily record? I am thinking they will do it by next week.
And still have almost 30k less deaths. Lets hope as you cheer for them to break the record the deaths don't follow.
[Reply]
Donger 10:46 AM 07-02-2020
The worst day for NY was 11,661. Let's hope not.
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:51 AM 07-02-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
And still have almost 30k less deaths. Lets hope as you cheer for them to break the record the deaths don't follow.

No cheering just looking at the reality of their situation which isn't good. My uncle lives in the Villages and as long as the state doesn't lock down I suspect the case count will go much higher.
[Reply]
Donger 10:57 AM 07-02-2020
No cheering just looking at the reality of their situation which isn't good. My uncle lives in the Villages and as long as the state doesn't lock down I suspect the case count will go much higher.
I guess we can hope that if it's accurate that younger people are getting infected at a higher rate than previously, the deaths will also be lower. But it's not like the infections stop with them.
[Reply]
Fish 11:03 AM 07-02-2020
Official U.S. coronavirus death toll is ‘a substantial undercount’ of actual tally, Yale study finds

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/01/offi...r&par=sharebar

The number of confirmed U.S. deaths due to the coronavirus is substantially lower than the true tally, according to a study published Wednesday in JAMA Internal Medicine.

Using National Center for Health Statistics data, researchers at Yale University compared the number of excess U.S. deaths from any causes with the reported number of weekly U.S. Covid-19 deaths from March 1 through May 30. The numbers were then compared with deaths from the same period in previous years.

Researchers found that the excess number of deaths over normal levels also exceeded those attributed to Covid-19, leading them to conclude that many of those fatalities were likely caused by the coronavirus but not confirmed. State reporting discrepancies and a sharp increase in U.S. deaths amid a pandemic suggest the number of Covid-19 fatalities is undercounted, they said.

“Our analyses suggest that the official tally of deaths due to Covid-19 represent a substantial undercount of the true burden,” Dan Weinberger, an epidemiologist at Yale School of Public Health and a lead author of the study, told CNBC. Weinberger said other factors could contribute to the increase in deaths, such as people avoiding emergency treatment for things like heart attacks. However, he doesn’t think that is the main driver.

The study was supported by the National Institute of Health.

The 781,000 total deaths in the United States in the three months through May 30 were about 122,300, or nearly 19% higher, than what would normally be expected, according to the researchers. Of the 122,300 excess deaths, 95,235 were attributed to Covid-19, they said. Most of the rest of the excess deaths, researchers said, were likely related to or directly caused by the coronavirus.

The number of excess deaths from any causes were 28% higher than the official tally of U.S. Covid-19 deaths during those months. The researchers noted the increase in excess deaths in many states trailed an increase in outpatient visits from people reporting an “influenza-like illness.”
Here's the actual study if anyone is interested. Should be pretty clear at this point that they're not overestimating covid deaths.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2767980
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:10 AM 07-02-2020
I guess we can hope that if it's accurate that younger people are getting infected at a higher rate than previously, the deaths will also be lower. But it's not like the infections stop with them.

yup. I am really hoping that deaths don't significantly increase but I suspect they will increase some with all the infections unfortunately.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:15 AM 07-02-2020
yup. I am really hoping that deaths don't significantly increase but I suspect they will increase some with all the infections unfortunately.
I think the odds are they will increase some. Lets hope though it is not to the extent of what we saw a couple months ago.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:19 AM 07-02-2020
And just keep this in mind because it really surprised me the other day. And I do not pretend to say this is how it is everywhere but in Johnson County, Ks there has not been a single death outside of a care facility since April 16th. There have been no mask requirements. There have been some people wearing masks and a lot not wearing masks. Gyms have been open. Restaurants have been open. We had the Ozarks ordeal where a person in JoCo got the virus.

So that's a little perspective that things are not always what the media makes them out to be. AZ is in a bad way. CA I say is even worse but no one wants to talk about them for some reason or other. But other places are not like that and not even close. It's a tough balancing act for sure but we have to maintain perspective. Right now at least at this moment, we have seen a huge increase in cases for the better part of 3 weeks and we have seen deaths continue to drop. I hope that continues as I think we all do but I think we know deaths will probably rise some. But that doesn't mean it will be NY all over again either.
[Reply]
TLO 11:20 AM 07-02-2020
653 is the number to stay under today. I'm skeptical we'll come in under that mark.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:23 AM 07-02-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
653 is the number to stay under today. I'm skeptical we'll come in under that mark.
It's gonna be close and while we want under as long as it isn't too far above I'd say we are still good.
[Reply]
TLO 11:26 AM 07-02-2020
I have a question about cases.

Nobody seems to put much stock into "well we're testing more, therefore we're finding more cases."

My question is this. We all remember the stories back in March and April of individuals that were sick and couldn't get a test because of the ridiculously stringent guidelines.

Isn't it feasible we're finding many more asymptomatic/mildly symptomatic cases that are leading to some of the increase?

I'm not saying this is the lone reason for the increase.. but doesn't it seem likely to be playing some role?
[Reply]
kgrund 11:35 AM 07-02-2020
This is a perfect example of how dangerous it is when people just accept numbers at face value without thinking. Do both of you really believe that any reported number TODAY has any comparative value to any number reported then?! This just in: testing rates have gone way way up since then. In March we were not even getting the tip of the iceberg.
[Reply]
Donger 11:42 AM 07-02-2020
Originally Posted by kgrund:
This is a perfect example of how dangerous it is when people just accept numbers at face value without thinking. Do both of you really believe that any reported number TODAY has any comparative value to any number reported then?! This just in: testing rates have gone way way up since then. In March we were not even getting the tip of the iceberg.
Actually, in NY in late March to April (when they saw the highest number of new cases around April 16), they were testing in the 30,000 tests/day range. Florida doesn't seem to be as consistent, for whatever reason, but they are around 35,000/day now.
[Reply]
Page 2494 of 3903
« First < 1494199423942444248424902491249224932494 249524962497249825042544259429943494 > Last »
Up