ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 183 of 221
« First < 83133173179180181182183 184185186187193 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:23 PM 03-22-2020
A 20+ inch brown I caught here in AZ many years ago one spring. It was pretty cold; I remember paddling past a giant ice floe (50 yards across?) about an hour before hooking up this fish:

This is what camp looks like at 10,000 ft in September on Boulder Mountain in UT:

Another nice brown while float tubing one spring. This guy actually grabbed a big purple hopper:

This brown was too big to fit in the 22-inch net. Fooled her with one of my own ties:

If you've never seen or heard of one, this is a 15-inch specimen of the AZ native Apache trout:

My second brown trout ever caught in AZ:

Tying flies at 6am in camp and drinking a beer for breakfast at Lee's Ferry:

[Reply]
Megatron96 05:30 PM 03-22-2020
Short :20 second video of a fish I caught years ago. Think this was in UT somewhere:
https://www.facebook.com/richard.kim...3003249333108/
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:57 PM 03-22-2020
Everyone bow down to Megatrons pics, simply incredible... the wild horses in a soft and warm morning sun is like some kinda National Geographic award winner
[Reply]
loochy 06:10 PM 03-22-2020
Well I bought a Euro nymphing rod last Friday. I'm considering getting out to the river next weekend assuming I can find a place to stay. There's not many things that I do that involve interacting with fewer people. I'll get gas, get food, sleep, and fish.
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:18 PM 03-22-2020
Found this video of a 4-foot long-nosed snake that was in our room at this rickety motel we stayed at near Lee's Ferry a few years back. I managed to scare it into escaping through a hole in the wall of our bathroom. We followed it outside and that's where the video begins.

Unfortunately, when the cat showed up, I tried to hit zoom and accidentally turned it off, so you don't get to see the snake false strike at the cat and the cat fly backwards and sideways, and bounce off two walls.
https://www.facebook.com/richard.kim...5648341218752/
[Reply]
Why Not? 09:48 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
A 20+ inch brown I caught here in AZ many years ago one spring. It was pretty cold; I remember paddling past a giant ice floe (50 yards across?) about an hour before hooking up this fish:

This is what camp looks like at 10,000 ft in September on Boulder Mountain in UT:

Another nice brown while float tubing one spring. This guy actually grabbed a big purple hopper:

This brown was too big to fit in the 22-inch net. Fooled her with one of my own ties:

If you've never seen or heard of one, this is a 15-inch specimen of the AZ native Apache trout:

My second brown trout ever caught in AZ:

Tying flies at 6am in camp and drinking a beer for breakfast at Lee's Ferry:

Those are some pretty fish! I’d love an AZ CPer’s fishing trip one day.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 10:49 PM 03-22-2020
How does one go about organizing and setting up a fishing trip out west? Is it as simple as finding a camp ground near a popular fishing location in a state or national park?
[Reply]
Megatron96 10:57 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by Why Not?:
Those are some pretty fish! I’d love an AZ CPer’s fishing trip one day.
That'd be fun. We need to figure out how many of us fish and make a list.
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:03 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
How does one go about organizing and setting up a fishing trip out west? Is it as simple as finding a camp ground near a popular fishing location in a state or national park?
That might work. Depends on what kind of fish, and what water you want to fish.

For example, if you want to keep it relatively simple and you fly fish, then Lee's Ferry here in northern AZ is a good spot. Pull into the campground, pay your camping fee then just roll down to the river and start fishing.

It's similar at the San Juan River in NM.

But most of the really good rivers out West require that you float them, or you're hiking in or something. Most would require a guide just to be on the right water at the right time of year. It's just not enough to know the name of a river and drive to the nearest access point from the highway. The real fishing might be miles up or down river from that parking lot.

Conversely, the lakes are pretty easy to access for the most part and it's as simple as park and fish/camp in most places.

One way of circumventing that is to join a local fishing message board, make some friends in the area you want to fish, and see if they'll take you fishing with them when you visit. Of course, that takes some time.
[Reply]
Strongside 11:08 PM 03-22-2020
I plan on doing quite a bit of fishing over the next few weeks in remote areas.

It’s the perfect time. No people, meals without having to pay or go to Costco, warmer weather.

Yup.
[Reply]
Rasputin 09:51 AM 03-23-2020
If I self quarantine I may just take two weeks and live in a van down by the river to fish.

I'm really jonzing to go fishing but just haven't quite got my shit together and being garnished bit the big one :-) Still i gots to find a way and time to go. My vans transmission is kinda acting funny and i had the guy suppose to check it when he did my brakes and make him fortune five hundred club.

Why don't we have a fishing smilies face ? or a fish smilie? that would be cool.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 10:11 AM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
That might work. Depends on what kind of fish, and what water you want to fish.

For example, if you want to keep it relatively simple and you fly fish, then Lee's Ferry here in northern AZ is a good spot. Pull into the campground, pay your camping fee then just roll down to the river and start fishing.

It's similar at the San Juan River in NM.

But most of the really good rivers out West require that you float them, or you're hiking in or something. Most would require a guide just to be on the right water at the right time of year. It's just not enough to know the name of a river and drive to the nearest access point from the highway. The real fishing might be miles up or down river from that parking lot.

Conversely, the lakes are pretty easy to access for the most part and it's as simple as park and fish/camp in most places.

One way of circumventing that is to join a local fishing message board, make some friends in the area you want to fish, and see if they'll take you fishing with them when you visit. Of course, that takes some time.

I’m definitely wanting to do fly fishing in places like what you’ve posted in the mountains and valleys. I love getting in the water so no lake fishing. I’d probably do that up north if anything. I’ve fished Rocky Mountain National Park and really had to hike to get to good spots but those areas aren’t for camping and of course the fish are much smaller. But those were also just fishing while out there, not really fishing trips.

So in those pictures you posted are those guided? I’m certainly capable of managing on my own once in the general area so I don’t really feel like I need a guide, but is a guide more common? If I’m wanting to do a few day camping trip I assume that’s more on your own.
[Reply]
threebag 10:16 AM 03-23-2020
I will be getting all my gear out and getting it ready to go. I can’t wait to social distance myself at the lake, river or ponds.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:53 PM 03-23-2020
Gonna buy some of these . Bass love crawdads

[Reply]
loochy 02:55 PM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Gonna buy some of these . Bass love crawdads

It's almost time to start nabbing some fat prespawn hogs
[Reply]
Page 183 of 221
« First < 83133173179180181182183 184185186187193 > Last »
Up