ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 182 of 221
« First < 82132172178179180181182 183184185186192 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:24 PM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
Well, I went fly fishing last weekend at Lower Mountain Fork in Oklahoma. I didn't do especially well (3 fish on the first day, 1 on the second), so instead I'll post some old pictures from a trip that I never reported on here.

Last October, I hit up Taneycomo one morning. We floated in a Mackenzie drift boat from the dam all the way down to near Lilley's Landing. We got into quite a few decent sized fish. All fish on the day came on a #14 pink San Juan Worm. They were running 2 units at the time.

Thats beautiful, bud... thanks for posting

Gonna be warm here all week, so I’m getting out this weekend to see if everything’s waking up
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:27 PM 03-03-2020
In general, Taneycomo is not an especially good place for fly fishing, especially dries. If they aren't running any water, the area below the dam is wadeable most of the way across for about a mile. This area could be worked with dries if the water is off. If 1 or 2 units are running, you can wade just a little bit along the north shore by the hatchery.
As a kid I remember a cove or two where I saw risers occasionally. The main channel would probably be a terrible place to try and dry fly, I agree. You'd need to find some kind of current break or something to draw risers.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:31 PM 03-03-2020
Went fishing on Lake Meredith Sunday. Nothing. Water temp was 40 degrees. Mostly wanted to test my Livescope system anyway.
[Reply]
allen_kcCard 10:20 AM 03-04-2020
Fished Bennett Sunday and Monday. There were 2500 anglers there Sunday and the fish were ultra stressed. At whistle I eventually just got out and watched until some people limited out and left. I ended up catching 8 for the whole day (releasing them all), but really they were all in the span of about 30 minutes when the sun first hit the water (I think around 9-10 for it to get that high over the bluff) and I happened to have something on that they were absolutely hammering.

Caught about 20 Monday just fishing up until noon. There were less than a quarter of the people on the water and the fish were a lot more receptive.
[Reply]
ptlyon 10:24 AM 03-04-2020
Heading to grand lake of the Cherokee for Paddlefish the 30th
[Reply]
Pablo 07:53 PM 03-12-2020
Friend took me out to a nice farm pond yesterday and we slayed some crappie. Caught 35 and they were all good size. Threw back another 20 bass and bluegill. Beautiful afternoon and they were really biting.

[Reply]
Megatron96 08:07 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by Pablo:
Friend took me out to a nice farm pond yesterday and we slayed some crappie. Caught 35 and they were all good size. Threw back another 20 bass and bluegill. Beautiful afternoon and they were really biting.

I basically learned to fish on a friend's family's farm out of one of their stock tanks.

Thanks for the memories. Damned crappie look so tasty I'm practically drooling over here. Please post pics of any crappie sammies you end up making. Top off, please. Shit, top off the sandwich, not you. Unless you're Elle MacPherson or Scarlett Johannson, that is.
[Reply]
Pablo 09:14 AM 03-13-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
I basically learned to fish on a friend's family's farm out of one of their stock tanks.

Thanks for the memories. Damned crappie look so tasty I'm practically drooling over here. Please post pics of any crappie sammies you end up making. Top off, please. Shit, top off the sandwich, not you. Unless you're Elle MacPherson or Scarlett Johannson, that is.
LOL, will do.

Friend went to Arkansas after brown trout this weekend or I imagine we'd be doing a fish fry. Soon enough though. Like to catch a bunch more and find about 10 pounds of morels and have a real party. That's the dream anyhow. Just need the ground to warm up and it might be a reality.
[Reply]
Pablo 09:14 AM 03-13-2020
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Heading to grand lake of the Cherokee for Paddlefish the 30th
Spoonbill are delicious. Hope you catch a monster.
[Reply]
SAUTO 10:59 AM 03-13-2020
tough cleaning though.
[Reply]
Pablo 11:05 AM 03-13-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
tough cleaning though.
Never had to do that part. My uncle would go snagging every spring and have a fish fry. I'd show up to eat and remember even as a kid that didn't particularly like fish they were pretty damn good.
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:17 PM 03-13-2020
Thanks brother!

Originally Posted by SAUTO:
tough cleaning though.
At least at grand lake, Oklahoma has what they call the Paddlefish research center. As long as the fish is alive, they will clean it for you. Do a pretty good job too. Might have to trim a little red meat when you get home, but better than doing it yourself. They even have tank boats that come and get your catch right from your boat if you flag them over.

Always look forward for this trip. Been going for almost 20 years and stay at the same place. It's like family old home week!
[Reply]
Graystoke 01:50 PM 03-13-2020
It was about 4 to 5 feet under an indicator....sometimes deeper and sometimes shallower. We fished some on the drift and we stopped to thoroughly cover a few holes, shelves, and cuts.
I am not a big fan of indicators. My spidey sense knows when I have a fish on.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:06 PM 03-13-2020
You can tell spring is in the air when this thread picks up, my fishing jones is just about at full tilt but we’re expecting snow tomorrow :-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:19 PM 03-22-2020
So just for fun, I'm posting some fishing pics from trips past. My big fishing trip ion JUly may not happen at this point, so I thought I'd post some pics of past trips.

Down at the bottom of this UT canyon are some nice fish. Just have to hike down about 900 vertical feet along a 1 miles goat trail to get down there.

Camping on the river. This herd of horses would come through our camp almost every morning, cross the stream and graze on that island for most of the day. It wa like we were neighbors.

Caught this 'bow in WY I'm pretty sure. Big fat bastard:

Fish on:

Caught this 'cutt and after I released him, he decided to hangout next to me for about 5 minutes before remembering he was late for an appointment:

Just some scenery in UT, I think:

This is a pic of camp one morning in the White Mountains in AZ. Just in case you thought AZ was all desert and cacti, there's plenty of mountains and alpine scenery as well. Both of those tents are mine; loaned one to a my buddy before selling the one in the foreground to him:

22-inch 'cutt-bow I luckily landed in WY:

[Reply]
Page 182 of 221
« First < 82132172178179180181182 183184185186192 > Last »
Up