ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3165 of 3903
« First < 2165266530653115315531613162316331643165 31663167316831693175321532653665 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Rain Man 12:48 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
After going on a rant about elitism, it's a bit hypocritical of me to go here but I simply can't think of any other way to say it.

Responsible people, on both sides of the political aisle, are wearing masks here by and large. I hear very, very little "individual liberty" arguments. People grumble about it but they're still wearing masks at the end of the day.

We have a certain segment of rural/small town people though, and I'm sure Missouri and other places are no different, and you know who they are - they show up to Walmart in their Grinch pajama bottoms in the middle of July, smoking a cigarette as they walk through the door, and looking (and smelling) like they haven't slept or showered in days.

Those are the people that don't wear masks and no amount of messaging is going to cure it. They don't care. They care about scoring and making kids. That's about it.

Heh. I know some of those people. I grew up with them.

We have the same types of folks in the city, but I think rural areas have higher proportions just due to the lower cost of living.
[Reply]
prhom 12:50 PM 11-20-2020
It's people that don't fear a virus.
That’s a really interesting way of framing it and where we have such a hard time drawing the line between personal freedom and public health. Some people are not afraid of drunk driving either, and many people do it a lot without ever getting caught or having an accident. However, the bigger risk is to others who may be impacted by that choice, therefore we have laws against it. Should we allow drunk driving because it’s a personal choice whether you are afraid you will die or be injured while doing it?
[Reply]
tyecopeland 12:56 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Well, that's no good.

I routinely work with public health officials and they're doing their jobs. It's bizarre to me that people won't listen to their recommendations.

It's probably different in different areas. My wife is from Iowa and I have a different perception of rural Iowa than rural Missouri. (Of course, she's from Iowa City which is not exactly rural nor typical of Iowa, so I've got imperfect information.)

I actually know the person whose Facebook post is quoted in the article that I linked. She's a nice person and is thoughtful, so I was surprised at her stance. But I see a lot of posts from my hometown friends in Missouri that are far more dogmatic than thoughtful, and it's pretty disappointing to see. I think you're right in that they don't fear a virus, but I more often hear "can't make me" arguments than health arguments from them. I'm charitably trying to conclude that it's just because the virus didn't hit their communities in force when the protective measures were being proposed, in which case they didn't see the need.
It's definitely some of that. When my area got shut down in the spring we had 10 cases cumulative in the county (again rural). There just wasn't the need for schools and businesses to be shut down then so people haven't gotten over that thought process yet.
[Reply]
petegz28 12:56 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by prhom:
That’s a really interesting way of framing it and where we have such a hard time drawing the line between personal freedom and public health. Some people are not afraid of drunk driving either, and many people do it a lot without ever getting caught or having an accident. However, the bigger risk is to others who may be impacted by that choice, therefore we have laws against it. Should we allow drunk driving because it’s a personal choice whether you are afraid you will die or be injured while doing it?
I'm gonna go Donger on here and point out the driving analogies are irrelevant. Driving is not a right, it is a privilege.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 12:58 PM 11-20-2020
After going on a rant about elitism, it's a bit hypocritical of me to go here but I simply can't think of any other way to say it.

Responsible people, on both sides of the political aisle, are wearing masks here by and large. I hear very, very little "individual liberty" arguments. People grumble about it but they're still wearing masks at the end of the day.

We have a certain segment of rural/small town people though, and I'm sure Missouri and other places are no different, and you know who they are - they show up to Walmart in their Grinch pajama bottoms in the middle of July, smoking a cigarette as they walk through the door, and looking (and smelling) like they haven't slept or showered in days.

Those are the people that don't wear masks and no amount of messaging is going to cure it. They don't care. They care about scoring and making kids. That's about it.
Plenty of people like this unfortunately

Anti-masker in Tucson, AZ throws a tantrum and has to be carried out by his own son pic.twitter.com/ggo4I968aL

— Fifty Shades of Whey (@davenewworld_2) August 11, 2020

[Reply]
Skyy God 01:00 PM 11-20-2020
It’s people that doesn’t fear the virus because they consume lies and propaganda.
[Reply]
Monticore 01:01 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Well, that's no good.

I routinely work with public health officials and they're doing their jobs. It's bizarre to me that people won't listen to their recommendations.

It's probably different in different areas. My wife is from Iowa and I have a different perception of rural Iowa than rural Missouri. (Of course, she's from Iowa City which is not exactly rural nor typical of Iowa, so I've got imperfect information.)

I actually know the person whose Facebook post is quoted in the article that I linked. She's a nice person and is thoughtful, so I was surprised at her stance. But I see a lot of posts from my hometown friends in Missouri that are far more dogmatic than thoughtful, and it's pretty disappointing to see. I think you're right in that they don't fear a virus, but I more often hear "can't make me" arguments than health arguments from them. I'm charitably trying to conclude that it's just because the virus didn't hit their communities in force when the protective measures were being proposed, in which case they didn't see the need.
I live in a small town 6k with smaller towns around , not sure if considered rural or not but there are plenty of people who go see my wife for help and just completely disregard her advice , but will take the medical advice of one of their coffee buddies , I can’t figure out . They smoke or do drugs but they don’t like. Vaccines or or pills and would rather try reflexology to cure their cancer than chemo.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:02 PM 11-20-2020

That's pretty elitist of you to assume that urban areas don't have smelly people who walk into Walmart in their Grinch pajama bottoms smoking cigarettes. :-)
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:03 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Dan Price
@DanPriceSeattle
My company processes payments for 20,000 small businesses

In the first lockdown, their revenue fell 55%. They got 8 weeks of PPP loans for a 36-week pandemic. Those that survived are hanging on by a thread.

Another lockdown without aid will wipe small biz off the map completely
The Agenda calls for this specifically.

Try to keep up.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 01:03 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
It’s people that doesn’t fear the virus because they consume lies and propaganda.
Or maybe a more logical reason is they are low risk?
[Reply]
tyecopeland 01:04 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Do I get an apology too for you accusing me of promoting "geo class warfare" and being "elitist" by posting a damn chart?
I apologize for calling you dart
[Reply]
Skyy God 01:06 PM 11-20-2020
Had an intake recently show up to my office with a political hat (strike 1) and no worn mask (strike 2). He tried to tell me it was ok because he didn’t have the Rona.

Uh, that’s not how it works, buddy.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:07 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
That's pretty elitist of you to assume that urban areas don't have smelly people who walk into Walmart in their Grinch pajama bottoms smoking cigarettes. :-)
Do they ingest meth like most people drink water? :-)
[Reply]
Skyy God 01:08 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Or maybe a more logical reason is they are low risk?
Nonsense.

Rural Americans have far more comorbidites than urbanites.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...eath-risk.html
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:09 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by prhom:
There aren't currently any laws regarding failure to wear a mask so it's not really a valid comparison.

That being said, let me be clear - it's not only that they don't fear the virus, they don't fear death. They don't fear anything. They're so focused on themselves (and usually their next fix) that nothing else matters.
[Reply]
Page 3165 of 3903
« First < 2165266530653115315531613162316331643165 31663167316831693175321532653665 > Last »
Up