ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 190 of 361
« First < 90140180186187188189190 191192193194200240290 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 03:58 PM 05-27-2020
I just watched Bob and Doug get into the elevator with about 8 other people. Surely they all got tested recently, right?
[Reply]
DaFace 04:01 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
I just watched Bob and Doug get into the elevator with about 8 other people. Surely they all got tested recently, right?
Yes.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:04 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Hey, guys, I recently saw the different amounts of money NASA was giving the three private players (may have been here actually) and SpaceX was receiving by far the lowest amount. I think Blue Origin may have been #1?

Do you know why that is the case?
To some extent, it's based on the probability of success. But it's also based on how much money people ask for and how much work there is to be done. SpaceX's proposal was probably lower since they're just modifying Starship, and it's also a bit unlikely that it'll work.

Note that it was just a development contract (basically paying the companies to do the engineering work). The actual contracts for who will actually be selected to develop their systems will depend on how things go in the next year or two.
[Reply]
vailpass 04:13 PM 05-27-2020
Dammit, I was excited to see the US send guys up today.
[Reply]
Pants 04:16 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
To some extent, it's based on the probability of success. But it's also based on how much money people ask for and how much work there is to be done. SpaceX's proposal was probably lower since they're just modifying Starship, and it's also a bit unlikely that it'll work.

Note that it was just a development contract (basically paying the companies to do the engineering work). The actual contracts for who will actually be selected to develop their systems will depend on how things go in the next year or two.
Gotcha. Thanks!
[Reply]
Frazod 04:31 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
So, let's be honest. Watching a rocket blast off is about as entertaining as watching water drip from a faucet. We ALL watch hoping deep down inside that suckers gonna explode and of course nobody gets hurt.
Jesus, I hope you're kidding. I don't want that at all. I want America to get back in the business of putting Americans in space. ASAP. Not hitching a ride with the Russians like we're fucking Bulgaria or something.
[Reply]
ping2000 04:40 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
They aren't pussies.
[Reply]
vailpass 04:45 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Jesus, I hope you're kidding. I don't want that at all. I want America to get back in the business of putting Americans in space. ASAP. Not hitching a ride with the Russians like we're ****ing Bulgaria or something.
Yep.
[Reply]
srvy 05:23 PM 05-27-2020
It's clear to me we need to get the launching the hell out of shit hole Florida. Bring the Astronauts back to land, not the Pacific Ocean. Nevada or Arizona possibly Utah. The command center is fine in Houston its a fine State, fuck anything Flourida. :-)
[Reply]
DaFace 07:22 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
It's clear to me we need to get the launching the hell out of shit hole Florida. Bring the Astronauts back to land, not the Pacific Ocean. Nevada or Arizona possibly Utah. The command center is fine in Houston its a fine State, fuck anything Flourida. :-)
Ain't gonna happen. There's a huge advantage in launching as close to the equator as possible.
[Reply]
stumppy 07:50 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
So, let's be honest. Watching a rocket blast off is about as entertaining as watching water drip from a faucet. We ALL watch hoping deep down inside that suckers gonna explode and of course nobody gets hurt.
:-)
You're confusing SpaceX with NASCAR.
[Reply]
scho63 09:31 PM 05-27-2020
I'm too claustrophobic to ever want to get into a space capsule or the ISS.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 09:44 PM 05-27-2020
LOL
[Reply]
srvy 01:38 AM 05-28-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Ain't gonna happen. There's a huge advantage in launching as close to the equator as possible.
Yeah, I was mainly trying to irritate BRC.
[Reply]
KregWillis 02:44 AM 05-28-2020
During lockdown we're all like astronauts stuck into our capsules lol
[Reply]
Page 190 of 361
« First < 90140180186187188189190 191192193194200240290 > Last »
Up