ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 183 of 361
« First < 83133173179180181182183 184185186187193233283 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 01:02 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
People everywhere say this, but yeah, weather is variable.
I once heard that in Des Moines. I chuckled.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:02 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Not even 5 minutes, I think they clear cloud cover in less than 2 minutes.
That's a bit much. They can't launch with lightning in the area within 30 minutes, and lost of the weather rules go out 10 miles from the pad.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:05 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
They say that everywhere. Sheesh!
Never heard it till down here that I remember. Missouri weather isnt anything like the changing weather down here. The weather around Orlando creates new "weather" all the time. Most of the afternoon storms we get are from there, not some storm passing through till it dissipates.

Same crap storms they are talking about now heading over there from Orlando but will probably dissipate before it gets there.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:06 PM 05-27-2020
People everywhere say this, but yeah, weather is variable.
Except SoCal

:-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:08 PM 05-27-2020
That's a bit much. They can't launch with lightning in the area within 30 minutes, and lost of the weather rules go out 10 miles from the pad.
I was discussing clearing cloud cover not getting permission to launch.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 01:11 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Except SoCal

I dn how SoCal weather is so perfect year round. Fucking would love that shit in Houston.
[Reply]
eDave 01:12 PM 05-27-2020
https://www.wjhg.com/templates/2015_Fullscreen_Radar
[Reply]
Pants 01:12 PM 05-27-2020
Never heard it till down here that I remember. Missouri weather isnt anything like the changing weather down here. The weather around Orlando creates new "weather" all the time. Most of the afternoon storms we get are from there, not some storm passing through till it dissipates.

Same crap storms they are talking about now heading over there from Orlando but will probably dissipate before it gets there.
Florida? :-)

When was the last time the temperature in FL went from high 60's one day to low 30's the next?
[Reply]
DaFace 01:14 PM 05-27-2020

The hatch is closed. The crew is settled in. #LaunchAmerica is on. pic.twitter.com/qZTR3QAQjM

— NASA (@NASA) May 27, 2020

[Reply]
dlphg9 01:26 PM 05-27-2020

I bet this has never happened in Florida

http://climate.missouri.edu/news/arc/nov2009.php

One Crazy November Day
Pat Guinan
State Climatologist
Commercial Agriculture/University of Missouri Extension
For many climate enthusiasts, November 11, 1911, is a date that generates much interest in regard to the extreme weather conditions that were experienced that day in Missouri and surrounding states. During sunrise, on 11/11/11, temperatures were unseasonably warm and had already climbed into the lower 70’s across mid-Missouri. A southerly breeze had increased to 25-30 mph by noon as the mercury climbed into the lower 80’s. By early afternoon, record high temperatures were broken in several locations including Kansas City, Springfield, Hannibal, Columbia and St. Louis.

Many people were outside enjoying the warm conditions including several hunters who had walked miles from home wearing only lightweight clothing. Unknown to many early that afternoon was that an arctic cold front had entered northwestern Missouri and was diving southeastward. Eyewitness reports that day describe the arctic boundary as a rapidly moving dark boiling mass of clouds accompanied by lightning, thunder, rain, hail that eventually turned to sleet and snow. Some of the hunters, unaware of the impending cold blast, were caught out in the elements and perished.

Hourly wind reports from the Columbia weather service office reported a southerly wind gusting to near 40 mph at 2 p.m. shifting to northerly winds gusting to over 40 mph about an hour later. The temperature in Columbia reacted to the wind shift and dropped from a toasty 82° at 2 p.m. to a cold, rainy and windy 38°F one hour later; an incredible 44° temperature drop in 60 minutes! One hour later the temperature was 30° in Columbia and the rain had changed to sleet with a wind chill of 16°. By midnight it was a frigid 13°, which set a record low for the day. In one day the temperature fell a whopping 69°, a record that still stands today for Columbia.

On November 11, 1911, many locations in Missouri established a record in terms of the largest daily temperature swing and this remarkable occurrence remains unprecedented today. Generally, for Missouri, the temperature drop was 50° in less than 3 hours and 65-70° in 18 hours. Maximum and minimum temperatures for some Missouri locations on 11/11/11 include Kansas City, 76°/11°; Springfield, 80°/13°; Columbia, 82°/13°; Hannibal, 82°/16°; and St. Louis, 78°/18°.

I find it hard to believe you cant remember anyone talking about how often the weather changes in Missouri.
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:28 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Florida? :-)

When was the last time the temperature in FL went from high 60's one day to low 30's the next?
Read the article I posted. Highs in the 80s and lows in the 10s in one day.
[Reply]
Pants 01:29 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:

I bet this has never happened in Florida

http://climate.missouri.edu/news/arc/nov2009.php

One Crazy November Day
Pat Guinan
State Climatologist
Commercial Agriculture/University of Missouri Extension
For many climate enthusiasts, November 11, 1911, is a date that generates much interest in regard to the extreme weather conditions that were experienced that day in Missouri and surrounding states. During sunrise, on 11/11/11, temperatures were unseasonably warm and had already climbed into the lower 70’s across mid-Missouri. A southerly breeze had increased to 25-30 mph by noon as the mercury climbed into the lower 80’s. By early afternoon, record high temperatures were broken in several locations including Kansas City, Springfield, Hannibal, Columbia and St. Louis.

Many people were outside enjoying the warm conditions including several hunters who had walked miles from home wearing only lightweight clothing. Unknown to many early that afternoon was that an arctic cold front had entered northwestern Missouri and was diving southeastward. Eyewitness reports that day describe the arctic boundary as a rapidly moving dark boiling mass of clouds accompanied by lightning, thunder, rain, hail that eventually turned to sleet and snow. Some of the hunters, unaware of the impending cold blast, were caught out in the elements and perished.

Hourly wind reports from the Columbia weather service office reported a southerly wind gusting to near 40 mph at 2 p.m. shifting to northerly winds gusting to over 40 mph about an hour later. The temperature in Columbia reacted to the wind shift and dropped from a toasty 82° at 2 p.m. to a cold, rainy and windy 38°F one hour later; an incredible 44° temperature drop in 60 minutes! One hour later the temperature was 30° in Columbia and the rain had changed to sleet with a wind chill of 16°. By midnight it was a frigid 13°, which set a record low for the day. In one day the temperature fell a whopping 69°, a record that still stands today for Columbia.

On November 11, 1911, many locations in Missouri established a record in terms of the largest daily temperature swing and this remarkable occurrence remains unprecedented today. Generally, for Missouri, the temperature drop was 50° in less than 3 hours and 65-70° in 18 hours. Maximum and minimum temperatures for some Missouri locations on 11/11/11 include Kansas City, 76°/11°; Springfield, 80°/13°; Columbia, 82°/13°; Hannibal, 82°/16°; and St. Louis, 78°/18°.

I find it hard to believe you cant remember anyone talking about how often the weather changes in Missouri.
Yup. :-)

BUT IT RAINS IN FLORIDA AND THEN STOPS!

Anyway, sorry for the short derail.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 01:31 PM 05-27-2020
1 hour till go tie how is the forcast?
[Reply]
DaFace 01:33 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
1 hour till go tie how is the forcast?
Range is red right now (no go), but they're still hoping it will clear. My guess is we're going down to T-10 minutes at least to see if they can hit a gap.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:33 PM 05-27-2020
T-1 hr
[Reply]
Page 183 of 361
« First < 83133173179180181182183 184185186187193233283 > Last »
Up