ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2069 of 3903
« First < 1069156919692019205920652066206720682069 207020712072207320792119216925693069 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
limested 10:41 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Sure,

And wouldn't the same hold true for Coronavirus?
There are no current vaccines for any human Coronavirus. Until they successfully create the first one I would not hold my breath expecting there to be one for Covid-19.

Coronavirus vaccine challenges
Past research on vaccines for coronaviruses has also identified some challenges to developing a COVID-19 vaccine, including:

Ensuring vaccine safety. Several vaccines for SARS have been tested in animals. Most of the vaccines improved the animals' survival but didn't prevent infection. Some vaccines also caused complications, such as lung damage. A COVID-19 vaccine will need to be thoroughly tested to make sure it's safe for humans.

Providing long-term protection. After infection with coronaviruses, re-infection with the same virus — though usually mild and only happening in a fraction of people — is possible after a period of months or years. An effective COVID-19 vaccine will need to provide people with long-term infection protection.

Protecting older people. People older than age 50 are at higher risk of severe COVID-19. But older people usually don't respond to vaccines as well as younger people. An ideal COVID-19 vaccine would work well for this age group.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 10:41 AM 05-15-2020
Just wait until California requires people to wear masks in their homes/private dwellings.
[Reply]
Pants 10:41 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
:-)
:-)

Fixed
[Reply]
limested 10:41 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED:
I’m talking about LA county making it mandatory to wear a mask outside. This is LA County:

If you’ve ever been there you know there are still plenty of places you could go and social distance very easily. It’s a bit extreme and it’s punishing people who can use common sense. Hopefully I’m overreacting and common sense will also be applied with the mandate, but c’mon...
If anything can be learned from 2020 is that the majority of people have no common sense. :-)
[Reply]
DaFace 10:42 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
If they do the severity is reduced and the ones that don't get the flu because they are vaccinated protect the ones that don't get it shot or can't or don't build up the same immunity from the shot.
People talk about "herd immunity" in terms of the virus spreading so far that we get it, but it's very, very rarely ever happened that way. We have a far greater likelihood of reaching herd immunity with a vaccine (and some modest impact from people who have already gotten COVID and recovered) even if 100% of people don't get it.

The vaccine can also help with the "it only impacts the vulnerable" stuff. If you can even get enough vaccines out there so that people who are vulnerable can get it, that makes it a lot easier to accept the "let's all just go for it and accept the consequences" approach for the greater population.
[Reply]
Monticore 10:47 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
People talk about "herd immunity" in terms of the virus spreading so far that we get it, but it's very, very rarely ever happened that way. We have a far greater likelihood of reaching herd immunity with a vaccine (and some modest impact from people who have already gotten COVID and recovered) even if 100% of people don't get it.

The vaccine can also help with the "it only impacts the vulnerable" stuff. If you can even get enough vaccines out there so that people who are vulnerable can get it, that makes it a lot easier to accept the "let's all just go for it and accept the consequences" approach for the greater population.
yup, but the young and healthy crowd or the I won't let Gates control my brain crowd will say they don't need it.
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 10:50 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by limested:
If anything can be learned from 2020 is that the majority of people have no common sense. :-)
Which is fine. I can still use mine to protect myself from them. I shouldn’t need overreactive official county mandates to do that. I’ll stop there in case that’s getting too political. I hope you get my point though.
[Reply]
TLO 10:51 AM 05-15-2020
OPERATION WARP SPEED
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 10:52 AM 05-15-2020
yup, but the young and healthy crowd or the I won't let Gates control my brain crowd will say they don't need it.
I would prefer to get Covid instead of a rushed vaccine.

I doubt they will solve this anytime soon anyway...there has never been a successful coronavirus vaccine created before.
[Reply]
TLO 10:53 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:

I doubt they will solve this anytime soon anyway...there has never been a successful coronavirus vaccine created before.
OPERATION WARP SPEED
[Reply]
mr. tegu 10:53 AM 05-15-2020
The more I read in CP ,I am less optimistic that people will be willing to get the vaccine if one becomes available.

I won’t get one any time soon, if ever.
[Reply]
Monticore 10:56 AM 05-15-2020

I understand being somewhat leery of a vaccine created this quickly , which is a valid argument , the ones I mentioned above are not .

I think vaccines have saved more people then they have killed but I still would wait for some extensive testing before I would line up for one.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:56 AM 05-15-2020

[Reply]
Pants 10:57 AM 05-15-2020
People keep parroting this but it really doesn't mean anything.

SARS and MERS were completely different from SARS2.
[Reply]
Monticore 10:57 AM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
I won’t get one any time soon, if ever.
If proven safe you still would not get it to protect friends and family?
[Reply]
Page 2069 of 3903
« First < 1069156919692019205920652066206720682069 207020712072207320792119216925693069 > Last »
Up