ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1919 of 3903
« First < 919141918191869190919151916191719181919 192019211922192319291969201924192919 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
tk13 07:53 PM 05-06-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Except Missouri is surrounded by oh, 47 other states that people come and go from whereas no one really travels in and out of SK.

You got people in MO interacting with people in KS, IL, IA, NE, AR & OK just in the immediate area.
Yeah, and you could literally add every one of those states together, and the population would be half of South Korea. And now you're talking hundreds of thousands of square miles of space.

It's a different set of challenges. But you can't sit here and be genuine and act like having a thousand people for every square mile of space doesn't present a challenge when you're fighting a contagious virus.
[Reply]
Monticore 07:54 PM 05-06-2020
:-)

There were travel restrictions all over regarding SK.
Before or after the virus was introduced?
[Reply]
petegz28 07:54 PM 05-06-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
Yeah, and you could literally add every one of those states together, and the population would be half of South Korea. And now you're talking hundreds of thousands of square miles of space.
Keep moving the goal posts....
[Reply]
petegz28 07:55 PM 05-06-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Before or after the virus was introduced?
As early as early Feb in some cases
[Reply]
DaFace 07:55 PM 05-06-2020
Okay well that we knew. The mere act of "flattening the curve" distinctly implied this would be drug out.
Here's probably the easiest chart to comprehend quickly:

We did a half-assed job of the "hammer," so our progress line is probably kinda sorta in between the red and green curves. That means that the whole thing has shifted to the right a bit.

We also don't have "proper testing, contact tracing, quarantining, isolating" down, which means that the green line on the right is higher than we'd hoped.

The primary point is just that this was never going to be a short-term thing. Anyone implying otherwise either didn't really dig into it or was just blinded by wishful thinking.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:56 PM 05-06-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:

[IMG]https://miro.medium.com/max/2000/1*a9Lcz2g8DkKdnW0o_vk3ow.png[/IMG]

We did a half-assed job of the "hammer," so our progress line is probably kinda sorta in between the red and green curves. that means that the whole thing has shifted to the right a bit.

We also don't have "proper testing, contact tracing, quarantining, isolating" down, which means that the green line on the right is higher than we'd hoped.

The primary point is just that this was never going to be a short-term thing. Anyone implying otherwise either didn't really dig into it or was just blinded by wishful thinking.
your link seems to no link

edit nm
[Reply]
tk13 07:58 PM 05-06-2020
Keep moving the goal posts....
I'm not moving the goal posts. You are.

I made the point that South Korea was not devoid of challenges because they're a country with extreme population density. And as we've seen in NY that can be a real challenge with a virus like this.

That's the point I'm still making. It hasn't changed. They have a different set of challenges than we do.

You're the one trying to make an argument about travel restrictions. I never said that was the challenge in South Korea.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 08:00 PM 05-06-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
To bring it to small numbers globally we need a vaccine.
And if there is never a scalable/effective vaccine developed, what is Plan B?
[Reply]
wazu 08:01 PM 05-06-2020

We did a half-assed job of the "hammer," so our progress line is probably kinda sorta in between the red and green curves. That means that the whole thing has shifted to the right a bit.

So "The Hammer" is meant to be an indefinite thing. Just hide forever. Everybody lose everything and starve to death? No thanks.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:01 PM 05-06-2020
I'm not moving the goal posts. You are.

I made the point that South Korea was not devoid of challenges because they're a country with extreme population density. And as we've seen in NY that can be a real challenge with a virus like this.

That's the point I'm still making. It hasn't changed. They have a different set of challenges than we do.

You're the one trying to make an argument about travel restrictions. I never said that was the challenge in South Korea.
The travel restriction conversation was with Monticore, not you.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 08:03 PM 05-06-2020
"It was never going to be over in two weeks."
So why did many places shut down for only 2 weeks at first?
[Reply]
DaFace 08:04 PM 05-06-2020
Originally Posted by wazu:
So "The Hammer" is meant to be an indefinite thing. Just hide forever. Everybody lose everything and starve to death? No thanks.
If it's not worth your time to even skim the article and try to understand how this works, it's not really worth my time to try and help you understand it.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 08:04 PM 05-06-2020
Another key step for the NFL...

Link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ing-facilities

Originally Posted by :
A route to reopening team facilities has been laid out to all 32 NFL teams.

Commissioner Roger Goodell sent out a memo Wednesday laying out protocols on how facilities may reopen, which includes consent from state government officials, establishment of a club infection response team, social distancing and other measures, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported.

All club facilities have been closed since March 25 to further efforts of combating the COVID-19 pandemic. Now, the NFL has outlined protocols and procedures on the path toward opening them back up.

"The protocols are intended to allow for a safe and phased reopening," Goodell wrote. "The first phase would involve a number of non-player personnel. ... No players would be permitted in the facility except to continue a course of therapy and rehabilitation that was underway when facilities were initially closed.

"Clubs should take steps to have these protocols in place by Friday, May 15 in anticipation of being advised when club facilities will formally reopen."

Among the protocols are wearing a cloth face covering or medical-style mask, and daily screening of employees and visitors who must have their temperature taken and answer questions.

[Reply]
Megatron96 08:04 PM 05-06-2020
Based on?

You realize that's a different country than China. China is almost surely lying. South Korea is handling this way more aggressively than we did. The past experiences with SARS and H1N1 probably made a huge difference in that though.
Based on the fact that I am Korean. Most of my family through my parents are still in Korea. That's nearly 20 uncles and aunts. And their children. Not going to come up with an exact count right here, but over 40 cousins. And my aunts and uncles were not only prolific, they were successful as well. There are more than a dozen MDs between my uncles, aunts and cousins. Ditto Judges and attorneys. Several city officials.

Now, I don't talk much to my cousins, but my mother does, and of course there's the Korean Mother's Network. And when I drive her places, or drop by to do some chores, she can't wait to tell me what all my relatives are doing and saying. (being just a commercial pilot, I'm the least successful person in my family, and Korean tradition is to make sure everyone knows what everyone is doing). Bottom line, the numbers don't jibe exactly with what they're putting out there. Not surprising though, considering who their nearest neighbor is.

Personally, I knew that if this virus got even a little out of hand, South Korea would start fudging their numbers, in the name of security.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 08:05 PM 05-06-2020
Originally Posted by wazu:
One, that Game of Thrones-esque titled article said 18 months.

Two, the guy who wrote the article isn't any sort of public health expert

"[Tomas Pueyo]2 MSc in Engineering. Stanford MBA. Ex-Consultant. Creator of applications with >20M users. Currently leading a billion-dollar business @ Course Hero"
[Reply]
Page 1919 of 3903
« First < 919141918191869190919151916191719181919 192019211922192319291969201924192919 > Last »
Up