ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 172 of 173
« First < 72122162168169170171172 173 >
In Memoriam>Good news [Lonewolf Ed]
Lonewolf Ed 04:51 PM 01-24-2015
I thought I'd start a new thread for updates on my cancer treatments and whatever else is going on, since the bad news thread title is misleading now.

My last treatment went better than the previous two and my chest wound is still closed up, which is a good thing. My arm is getting slightly stronger and I hope to resume lifting dumbbells next week. I need to build up my strength again, because I am going back to Denmark in May and I am extremely pumped about that! I'd like to be able to schlepp my own checked bag and not have someone else lifting it for me.

It's going to be a fabulous trip, 6 weeks and a couple of days for me. My brother is going along as well as my friends Chipp and Rod. Chipp is staying close to 3 weeks and has not gone with me over there since 2006 so he is also very pumped to be going. It will be Rod's first trip and he will be there for 2 weeks. I will get to be a tour guide. Also, I am throwing a party in my favorite pub of all, the wonderful, ever-magnificent Irish House in Aalborg on May 7th. The owner and I are friends and he will give me a little discount. We'll have Irish stew and brews in the cellar and I hope to have around 25 family and friends there. I might bill it as the "Fu** Cancer Party." A few months back, I was not sure I'd ever be able to go over to Denmark again or if I'd even be alive, but the cancer hasn't gotten me yet. I'm doing a number on it, instead.

Some other cool things I plan to do when I am back in my ancestral lands include a wine tasting in a castle, touring another castle and the northernmost manor home in the country, and visiting Skagen, the top of Denmark, where you can stand on a little patch of beach and have one foot in one sea and one in another. They also have a brewpub up there I am wanting to check out. I will start and end my trip in Aalborg and spend 5 weeks in an apartment I rent that is very close to the beach. I can hardly wait for May 4th to roll around!
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:31 PM 05-10-2017
Thanks for the update Darron. Much appreciated. Your brother had quite an impact on many here. Myself included.
[Reply]
Eleazar 07:03 AM 05-11-2017
Originally Posted by DarronS:
I spent most of the afternoon skimming this thread, especially the posts since January of this year. I shed a few tears at some of the posts, but reading everyone's words of encouragement and their stories of Ed being an inspiration was cathartic for me. I was with Ed when he got the diagnosis of the colon cancer spreading to his liver, and have spent a lot of time since then at our parent's house helping as I could. The last few months were the worst for Ed, and especially the last two weeks, but he did pass away peacefully at least.

Just to let y'all know, I am a long-time Chiefs fan. Our father had season tickets back in the AFL days so I was at a lot of classic games, including the heartbreaking playoff loss to the Dolphins in double overtime. Ed and Dad had season tickets at Arrowhead Stadium and I got to go to a few of those games with Ed.

My son and I are heading to Denmark in late August to spread Ed's ashes per his wishes, and leave most of them in a box at the Irish House in Aalborg.

If any of you make it to the Irish House do us a favor. Order a cheeseburger (they are excellent) and ask for George's Irish Mustard on it. I suggest doing this before you tell Jerome that Ed sent you. Jerome doesn't serve mustard so Ed always brought his own. If you tell him Ed sent you before asking for the mustard don't be surprised if Jerome curses you out.
That's a great story, Darron. Know that your brother made an impact here and was truly loved and is truly missed by all of us.
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 07:31 AM 05-11-2017
Your brother made me a better man, Darron. He is missed. Thank you for stopping by the planet.
[Reply]
Simply Red 07:59 PM 05-11-2017
I spent most of the afternoon skimming this thread, especially the posts since January of this year. I shed a few tears at some of the posts, but reading everyone's words of encouragement and their stories of Ed being an inspiration was cathartic for me. I was with Ed when he got the diagnosis of the colon cancer spreading to his liver, and have spent a lot of time since then at our parent's house helping as I could. The last few months were the worst for Ed, and especially the last two weeks, but he did pass away peacefully at least.

Just to let y'all know, I am a long-time Chiefs fan. Our father had season tickets back in the AFL days so I was at a lot of classic games, including the heartbreaking playoff loss to the Dolphins in double overtime. Ed and Dad had season tickets at Arrowhead Stadium and I got to go to a few of those games with Ed.

My son and I are heading to Denmark in late August to spread Ed's ashes per his wishes, and leave most of them in a box at the Irish House in Aalborg.

If any of you make it to the Irish House do us a favor. Order a cheeseburger (they are excellent) and ask for George's Irish Mustard on it. I suggest doing this before you tell Jerome that Ed sent you. Jerome doesn't serve mustard so Ed always brought his own. If you tell him Ed sent you before asking for the mustard don't be surprised if Jerome curses you out.

Well wishes to you sir, and you stay strong for all. He was one of the nicest people I've met on here - who genuinely 'cared' for others - even though it was over the internet. We got close early on in his CP posts. He will always be remembered by me. God bless you Darron. - Ryan
[Reply]
Easy 6 12:01 AM 05-13-2017
Darron, while Ed and I never met in person, we had many a jovial phone conversation and he even sent me a dvd of his second to last Denmark trip... watched it again just a few days after he passed

And I cannot tell you just how much of an impression Ed made on me... humility, humor, common decency, courage

He was a better man than I, no question about it

I only hope you and the rest of his family are at peace, because I KNOW Fast Eddie is... his Christian faith never, ever wavered

A more decent man I'll never meet, Ed was an absolute sweetheart
[Reply]
Dante84 04:17 PM 05-16-2017
We'd love to have you hang around, if you feel so inclined.

Thanks for stopping by!
[Reply]
rabblerouser 06:35 AM 05-23-2017

Hey Darron,
Thank you for sharing this. I got a chuckle at the George's Irish Mustard bit.

I'm so sorry for your loss,
Jeremy
[Reply]
DarronS 06:54 PM 05-23-2017
Thanks everyone. Your support means a lot to me, and it did Ed a world of good while he battled cancer.

A bit of background on the George's Irish Mustard. The second time Ed went to the Irish House Jerome welcomed him by saying "Hi Dave. How ya doing? Ed stood there with a blank look on his face and Jerome hung his head and said, "Your name isn't Dave, is it?" From then on Ed and I called him George.

The Irish apparently do not serve mustard, hence the reason Ed brought his own. Ed still asked for mustard every time he ordered a cheeseburger, and George always replied, "Mustard is fooking English. We Irish don't use it."

I'll probably stick around here and post on various threads. Doubt if I'll run up a high post count but I've been a Chiefs fan almost all my life, and living in Bronco Land I need to correspond with kindred fans.
[Reply]
Gadzooks 08:56 PM 05-23-2017
Welcome aboard Darron.:-)
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:58 PM 05-23-2017
Indeed, welcome aboard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 10:10 PM 05-23-2017
Excellent, Darron. Stick around!
[Reply]
RippedmyFlesh 01:37 PM 05-24-2017
Doubt if I'll run up a high post count but I've been a Chiefs fan almost all my life, and living in Bronco Land I need to correspond with kindred fans.
Sorry for your loss.
There is no better place to vent your donkey hate than here.
Welcome to the land of hard core chiefs fans, a sprinkling of rival fans and a couple of alex smith fans.
[Reply]
DarronS 07:49 PM 05-24-2017
Originally Posted by RippedmyFlesh:
Sorry for your loss.
There is no better place to vent your donkey hate than here.
Welcome to the land of hard core chiefs fans, a sprinkling of rival fans and a couple of alex smith fans.
Yeah, some people prefer to revel in false hope than face reality.
[Reply]
Simply Red 07:52 PM 05-26-2017
Yeah, some people prefer to revel in false hope than face reality.
you seem nice.
[Reply]
jdubya 10:05 PM 06-04-2017
I dont have many posts in here but this thread has been very inspiring. I was dx with throat cancer last October, radical neck dissection and 6 weeks of getting shot in the face with radiation and my future is looking fine. Treatment has not been pleasant but the prognosis is near curable. The strength Ed showed was a great inspiration for me and still is. I`ve met many inspiring folks with cancer this last half year but Ed is tops in my book. I would have been proud to meet him. Thanks DarronS for your input as well.
[Reply]
Page 172 of 173
« First < 72122162168169170171172 173 >
Up