« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Notre Dame on fire
Rain Man 11:56 AM 04-15-2019
Not the school, but the cathedral.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/15/pari...e-reuters.html
[Reply]
Donger 01:59 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
2 hours would surprise me, but 30+ minutes wouldn't at all. Paris during rush hour is basically just one giant parking lot.
Must
resist
joke...
[Reply]
Sorce 02:10 PM 04-15-2019
CNN mentioned that since it was being renovated they had removed a lot of the statues.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
srvy 02:10 PM 04-15-2019
They just said inside the cathedral they used 52 acres of timber to build it. No wonder its still burning.
[Reply]
Pennywise 02:11 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
Must
resist
joke...
I had the same inner turmoil at post 54.
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:28 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Sorce:
CNN mentioned that since it was being renovated they had removed a lot of the statues.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Well, that's good news.

It looks like the big windows may still be in place on the sides, but with the roof collapse you have think that the interior is a loss.

Cnn is saying that the fire chief is saying that they're trying to "keep the tower from falling over the next 90 minutes". Not sure what tower they're talking about.
[Reply]
Scooter LaCanforno 02:33 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Yeah, my money is on a construction worker dropping a cigarette or something. But we'll see.

My guess would be a roofing torch.
[Reply]
RedRaider56 02:36 PM 04-15-2019
This is heartbreaking to watch. I was fortunate to tour the cathedral about 9 years ago. Truly beautiful. Full of priceless art and religious relics including pieces of the cross at Christ's crucifixion and part of his crown of thorns.
[Reply]
Kiimo 02:42 PM 04-15-2019
My recommendation on "relics" is to read up on them before believing any one of their stories. Like, they were the magic elixir of the alchemists or the tonic of US 19th Century Medicine Shows.

Like literally every cathedral was buying relics to compete for pilgrimages. I'm way more concerned about the art than a piece of wood some road jester in 1500 was peddling for a huge profit.
[Reply]
FAX 02:47 PM 04-15-2019
Most often, the term "relics" refers to pieces of bone that are the remains of saints. The middle finger of St. Lebowski is considered to be one of the most highly prized.

FAX
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:47 PM 04-15-2019
Reports are that the north front tower is the one that is in danger of collapse and it sounds like they still don't have the fire under control.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...mark-live-news

The most senior firefighter in Paris says it is unclear whether they will be able to keep it from spreading and causing more destruction.

“We are not sure we are capable of stopping the spreading” to Notre Dame’s second tower and belfry,” said Jean-Claude Gallet at the scene as his crews worked outside and inside the iconic cathedral. “If it collapses, you can imagine how important the damage will be.”

[Reply]
srvy 02:50 PM 04-15-2019
Well, that's good news.

It looks like the big windows may still be in place on the sides, but with the roof collapse you have think that the interior is a loss.

Cnn is saying that the fire chief is saying that they're trying to "keep the tower from falling over the next 90 minutes". Not sure what tower they're talking about.
My understanding as you enter the front of structure there is an entryway 3 spires with huge bells the largest in middle being 9 tons. If it falls they think it could pull the rest down.
[Reply]
EPodolak 02:52 PM 04-15-2019
Was scolded for pulling out my camera and taking this picture, felt embarrassed at the time. Glad I did now.

[Reply]
Rain Man 02:54 PM 04-15-2019
It looks like there's a big fire in the wing with the Rose Window now.

Edit: the South Rose Window. Evidently, there are three of them and the North one is the most famous. I don't see flames in that area.
[Reply]
Bwana 02:55 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by EPodolak:
Was scolded for pulling out my camera and taking this picture, felt embarrassed at the time. Glad I did now.

I was able to get some decent shots of the place when I was there. What a sad situation.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:58 PM 04-15-2019
It looks like there's a big fire in the wing with the Rose Window now.
There's pretty much a big fire everywhere that isn't stone.

[Reply]
Page 8 of 14
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Up